LegacyGT.com

Good Hi/Low HID kits?

BoxerGT2.5

Just curious what some folks are using? Bulb size, plug and play? ect.... :D

And yes I searched.....got tired of the "Aftermarket HID's are illegal" posts and the "HID are bad for other drivers" crap. I don't care! I ripped half the CATS off my car, I am beyond the legal mumbo jumbo. :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

in my wrx i have the mcchulloch 5000k series and i get pulled over because they are tooo bright but you can get them in many colors white blue red green purple yellow i didnt pay that much i guess cause i got a hook up and are the bulbs the same size im looking to get rid of my wrx and get a legacy

I had Mccullochs on my Mazda 6 (H1 bulb) 5000k kit. Easy to install no problems! I have a H7 5000k kit for this car (also Mccullochs) sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I will whip up a doc with pics like I did for the Cobb STS. Hopefully this weekend.

I love them....and agree with you, so sick of read'n the Anti's posts...and they will show up. But anyway it's almost impossible to get the Phillips and good balasts anymore as they won't ship them stateside. So we are left with the rems of what cna get over here. Anything you get will have the same ballast quality. They all have a 1 year warrenty on them. If the don't show up broken or go in the 1st week...then you will be all set. So there really is nothing to worry about in terms of getting burnt. The guy I buy my stuff from is from a diff forum and got them for 270 shipped from Japan (they were here in 5 freak'n days...awesome..didn't even think that was possible)

Note: I have never been pulled over for HIDs.

yeah that's the funny thing.....no matter where you buy them from the majority of the HID kits have the same parts in them so it really doesn't matter......so my research shows...and what 90% of the knowledfeable people tell me :D

I Know many people that have bought them from Xenon Factory and are super happy....as you will be with whatever you buy.....=)

Its a consumer thing, if you feel safe with it all, you feel like the product is better, even if it's made with the same parts as something that was deemed disreputable =)

So go get um.......I know that was absolutley no help....sorry ;p

I had Mccullochs on my Mazda 6 (H1 bulb) 5000k kit. Easy to install no problems! I have a H7 5000k kit for this car (also Mccullochs) sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I will whip up a doc with pics like I did for the Cobb STS. Hopefully this weekend.

I love them....and agree with you, so sick of read'n the Anti's posts...and they will show up. But anyway it's almost impossible to get the Phillips and good balasts anymore as they won't ship them stateside. So we are left with the rems of what cna get over here. Anything you get will have the same ballast quality. They all have a 1 year warrenty on them. If the don't show up broken or go in the 1st week...then you will be all set. So there really is nothing to worry about in terms of getting burnt. The guy I buy my stuff from is from a diff forum and got them for 270 shipped from Japan (they were here in 5 freak'n days...awesome..didn't even think that was possible)

Note: I have never been pulled over for HIDs.

Scans I look foward to your writeup! HID mod is one of the first things I will be doing once I get my GT. Hopefully, reverting back to stock lighting isnt that difficult if push comes to shove.

I've been considering doing a conversion using a true D2S setup and just using conversion rings that fit the D2S bulb int he H7 housing, no need for a rebased bulb. All the Audi A4/S4 guys are doing this, but in order to try to find all the individual parts its MUCH less expensive to get a quality rebased kit from either XenonDepot.com or XenonFactory.com Both of these offer REAL Phillips 85122 bulbs as their 4300K solution or 85122+ (AKA ColorMatch) for the 5100K solution. They also both offer true Phillips ballasts. If you are not going with a Phillips ballast the only other one to look at is the Hella Gen III ballast. The Gen IV is a slim design and has a separate igniter from the ballast, but has been reported to have higher failure rates than the Gen III.

Regarding High Beams. I would look into doing the HIR bulbs for high beams as the 9011 bulbs can be modified easily to fit into our 9005 sockets, while providing a significant boost in light output. They run $40 a piece. I will find the post regarding these so you can avoid using the search ;-)

My personal plan now is 9011 HIR bulbs for the high beams, and an H7 4300K completely Phillips based kit for the lows. Right now fogs seems a little overkill for my wallet, and I'm not too sure I'd be happy with the optical results of an HID bulb in an H3 housing. the OB guys are a little luckier as I believe their fogs use the 9005 bulb just like in the high beams, so easy upgrades their with both HIR or HID.

Note: the 85122+ ColorMatch bulbs are intended to be used in the situation where one bulb, orginally a 85122, has burned out. The remaining bulb will have over time changed color and wil be closer to the 5100K range, hence using a 5100K tinted bulb will give a good 'color match' so that the new and original bulbs appear to be the same. Note, While Philips also makes the so caled Ultinon bulb, which is factory rated at 6000K. This is again tinted and thus has lower output, and these are the only three bulbs that Philips makes in D2S. ALSO, ALL new cars come with the 4300K bulbs, it is the housing and optics of the reflector or projector lens that give you the difference in colors. NO OEMs use the CM or Ultinon bulbs as standard equipment.

Ok scratch the Mccullochs, buddy of mind just told me they have a very high failure/burn out rate. He currently uses Xetronic with no probs whatsoever????

I think your friend is referring to the old gen McCullochs ballasts. The new gen ballasts have been very reliable as I've been told.

I am thinking of adding a bi-xenon system on my low beam (low and high beam in one). If not, I'll just buy a bi-xenon low/high beam 9005 hi beam housing instead so that I can have 6 lights running during low and 4 lights running when I am on high beam. I know it's illegal, but it's sure going to be bright as hell.

Keefe

Keefe

I am thinking of adding a bi-xenon system on my low beam (low and high beam in one). If not, I'll just buy a bi-xenon low/high beam 9005 hi beam housing instead so that I can have 6 lights running during low and 4 lights running when I am on high beam. I know it's illegal, but it's sure going to be bright as hell.

Keefe

Whoa!!!!

HID's are too bright, its illegal to convert, and they distract other drivers. redface.gif

Wow! First time hearing that in an HID thread:rolleyes: Removing CATs is illegal as well! Pick and choose which laws you follow:D

Edit: did not see your edit:D

• 2 weeks later...
Are there potential problems with the HID conversion melting anything? I did an HID conversion on my Integra and upgraded the projector lens while I was at it. I really didn't want to be melting anything. HIDs are something I hear may be on the 06 model, but I wasn't willing to wait for another year to get a car with an option that I can install myself on this one. ;) I like being alble to take them out and go back to stock just in case the need should arise too.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Just installed my HIDS today since it's finally nice out here.....55 degrees in Boston....Feb....very strange...but good opp to work on the car =)

1) Disabled the DRL's

2) Installed my HIDS

Real easy straighforward install(picture instructions to follow).......on the note of go'n back to stock.....REAL easy with the H7 Mculloch kit I bought....all plug'n'play style. But note, you DO HAVE TO DRILL a HOLE through the Cap on the back....which will make it obv. that you have Mod'd the car. Other then that, back to stock is a peice of cake...jsut save your orig bulbs in the case that the kit provides =)

K guys/gals.....here's the install link...see how good I am.....a few hours later and I've got my install written up

http://www.bostonwolfpack.com/Legacy/H7%20HID%20kit%20install.htm

I got the 5000k Kit......I paid 279 through a buddy of mine that I trust. I've bought 3 sets from him. If you can't find them cheaper then that, let me know and I'll give you his info. He's been do'n group buys on them for Mazda6's for the longest time. But he can get all kinds of Hid's......

Archived