LegacyGT.com

My exhaust is too loud!

JonLGT

I am running the Invidia catless downpipe with the Greddy SP-2 exhaust on my LGT and was wondering if there is any option of keeping this exhaust setup, but quieting it at the same time. I cant stand the drone anymore. Please help!

You could try to source some silencers for the exhaust tips, and have a resonator welded into the intermediate. Should help some.

I dont want to use silencers.

Has anyone on here had any experiance with Resonators?

I've got a resonator in my downpipe and it's still just too damn loud.

I'd put a cat into the system somewhere. I'm currently running catless into a perrin catback and it's just too loud for me. The first time I drove 100 miles on the freeway I came home with a headache. Once I find the cat I want to use, in it goes.

put a muffler in the mid pipe section. guy I know has this on his 3" OBXT exhaust and it's still deep but not very loud. (He's running an 18G w/full custom 3" exhust and Perrin TMIC)

its a 4x9 oval magnaflow muffer. inlet is center and outlet to the drivers side.

I dont feel like re-tuning for it, or spending $500 on one.

What makes you think you have to retune for a catted DP? Buy the Catted and sell the cat-less to make some of your money back.

Cat>Muffler>Resonator

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Resonator FTW. I had a greddy EVO2 on my sentra before the LGT. and it droned and was too loud. I welded in a 22" magnoflow straight through resonator. and it was so much quieter unless i was all the way on the gas.

I had a friend ask me if the car was running once when i left it idling. It really helped that much.

I had an Invidia catless DP and the X02 Racing mid pipe, Y pipe and mufflers. I found it was too loud for my liking as well, so I sold the catless DP and got the Invidia catted DP. I found it didn't make much of a difference so I kept the catted DP and went back to stock mufflers and everything is much better now. The high flow cat helps a bit but don't expect miracles.

I didn't like the interior noise from my MR quad tip and Cobb hi-flow cat DP combo. I installed sound deadener in the trunk and had the DP wrapped. It drones a little now, but the difference is tremendous. There is practically nothing in the way of insulation in the trunk area immediately above the muffler.

Go with a combo deal-e-o of the asphalt aluminum stuff and the sound mat and I think you'll be there. I did and I'm pleased. The DP wrapping helps too b/c the aftermarket pieces are made of thinner, lighter metal than the stock cast iron - which has the unfortunate effect of transmitting more noice. So, wrapping the thing up helps on two front - one with the sound and two with maintaining heat in the exhaut which helps the exhaust gases get out of the way faster.

That's my two cents. Hope it helps.

I put two resonators in the midpipe, a baffle (donut shaped) just before the end of the two tailpipes and had the trunk and rear seat area painted with multiple coats of sound deadening paint. You can still hear a deepish rumble but it is pretty quiet! :)

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

• 2 weeks later...
OEM Mufflers FTW.

OP: I feel your pain, I had the Greddy EVO2 + two exhaust tickets and I had to get rid of it. (Running OEM catback for the time being)

I am not having the same luck. When I purchased my 05 wagon it was running a Cobb catless downpipe, Grimmspeed x-pipe/ported manifolds, and a X02 catback. It sounded good, but at highway it had a pretty loud drone and since this is my daily, I wanted something a bit quieter. So I took off the mid and catback, and installed the stock stuff, and it sounds like CRAP. At highway speeds, it is great, tons better, and dead silent at idle. But anytime I touch the throttle, it is the loudest raspy noise, like metal rattling around in all the cans. I thought I had an exhaust leak, but it is interal. So I think I am going to go back to the aftermarket stuff, and first try a resonator, like the vibrant ultra quiet resonator, and see if that helps with the drone at all.

Mine was too loud at first, but your ears adapt and now I would not change it. I don't like driving a car now that I can't hear what the engine is doing. I have even restarted a running car(wife's) a few times because it was too quiet.

Seriously, if you give it a little time it may stop bothering you. At least the boxer is a beautiful sound!

Archived