LegacyGT.com

Another 08 Stage 2 but problems

ClwLegacyGt08

;1966073']You've got to be kidding. PFFFE is NOT a legitimate trouble code. No OBD-II scan tool will ever report that code. The Subaru Select Monitor III will never report that code. Subaru technical literature will never document that code. By regulation, Subaru must adhere to SAE standards for trouble code numbers and meanings and the SAE standard specifies that a powertrain trouble code shall be composed of four decimal digits.

The AccessPort reports PFFFE because it's has a programming error.

And that's not the only trouble code glitch the AP has.

That is correct, no OBD-II scan code will report this code because it is Subaru specific. Subaru actually has two of these proprietary codes, and our Professional AccessTUNER Network is aware of how to deal with these codes. If we have any StreetTUNER users dealing with this issue, I will be happy to work with you through PM or e-mail (christian@cobbtuning.com) to resolve this issue.

Each manufacturer is allowed to include proprietary codes that do not follow the generic OBDII protocols. For instance, a Nissan will not have any TGV specific codes, because they do not have a Tumbler Generator Valve system. Your information sources must be different than mine, not a problem. This is a Subaru specific general missfire code that is detected by the ECU and that is the code information that is spit out, per say, so that is what the AP displays. I would be happy to work with you on any deficiencies that you may know of or perceive with the AccessPORT's MIL detection abilities? Please let me know what else you have found and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Take care,

Christian.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i got a 20244? code with the new tunes off of cobbs website. It keeps saying a problem in solinoid A of the wastegate.

What is going on? lol, i have not got to do a good pull in this car yet...

20244 is not a valid DTC. Would you mind double checking what code is present using the AccessPORT?

Thanks,

Christian.

That is correct, no OBD-II scan code will report this code because it is Subaru specific. Subaru actually has two of these proprietary codes, and our Professional AccessTUNER Network is aware of how to deal with these codes. If we have any StreetTUNER users dealing with this issue, I will be happy to work with you through PM or e-mail (christian@cobbtuning.com) to resolve this issue.

Each manufacturer is allowed to include proprietary codes that do not follow the generic OBDII protocols. For instance, a Nissan will not have any TGV specific codes, because they do not have a Tumbler Generator Valve system. Your information sources must be different than mine, not a problem. This is a Subaru specific general missfire code that is detected by the ECU and that is the code information that is spit out, per say, so that is what the AP displays. I would be happy to work with you on any deficiencies that you may know of or perceive with the AccessPORT's MIL detection abilities? Please let me know what else you have found and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Take care,

Christian.

You really don't understand this subject. Both CARB and EPA have regulations which require manufacturers to adhere to SAE J2012 - Diagnostic Trouble Code Definitions. That standard specifies a generic set of trouble codes and also reserves the range of powertrain trouble codes from P1000 to P1999 for manufacturer-specific or proprietary trouble codes. If Subaru, for some unknown reason, needed yet another trouble code for misfire, they would have created it as P13nn, where nn represents two decimal digits of Subaru's choosing. Subaru already uses at least one manufacturer-specific trouble code related to misfire: P1301 - Misfire Detected (High Temperature Exhaust Gas). Compliance with SAE J2012 is not optional and there are no exceptions.

Also, the fact that Subaru's proprietary dealer diagnostic tool, the Subaru Select Monitor III, cannot read either PFFFE or PFFFF means that they're both bogus.

Why don't you post instructions for disabling those two trouble codes with StreetTuner?

;1967249']Why don't you post instructions for disabling those two trouble codes with StreetTuner?
Sure thing, this can be done two different ways. You can modify the number of missfires that are allowable through a miss-fire tables or you can defeat them through the software. If you own the StreetTUNER and are interested in learning about this, please PM me with your inquiries.

Christian.

"below is what i posted last night after putting my catless invidia dp in"

i still think this is your problem....people have been having loads of issues with overboosting and the diverted wastegate on the invidia pipes needing to be grinded down.

Not really, since this applies to both, unless the restrictor pill is different in the 5MT for some reason.

Ive taken my stg 2 v103 5mt through WOT through a few gears, also tried boosting it in the higher gears on highway, no Check engine light for me :cool:. I have X02 Catless DP with cobb map installed this past sat. Under 80degree weather i hit 18psi peak according to the electronic prosport boost gauge.

Ive taken my stg 2 v103 5mt through WOT through a few gears, also tried boosting it in the higher gears on highway, no Check engine light for me :cool:. I have X02 Catless DP with cobb map installed this past sat. Under 80degree weather i hit 18psi peak according to the electronic prosport boost gauge.

Sounds like you're just lucky. The folks who do tunes have always told me you can take 5 cars identically built and put them on the dyno, all 5 will need different tunes and make different numbers.

well hopefully i have a factory freak too :) I hope i make more power than other 08's :)

Boost target for auto map is 17 psi while the mt map is 16.5. I personally have an auto with an invidia catless so I end up making like 18.5 psi before boost cut hits. :lol:

Tearing it all apart tomorrow to check out the divider in the bellmouth and grind down as necessary, will post results

let us know how it goes. i am interested

definitely, because as I told korpsepatrol in another thread, depending on what I find I will be calling Invidia about this. They clearly need to redesign their DPs. I was looking at pictures of a different divorced wastegate dp and the divider was flush to the bellmouth mounting points, didn't protrude into the turbo area at all.

I fixed it. The divider was definitely the issue. I didn't bring my camera in the house, but I will post pictures of the DP and inside the turbo. Calling Invidia on this tomorrow. Hopefully they will respond so that people further down the road don't run into this problem.

I fixed it. The divider was definitely the issue. I didn't bring my camera in the house, but I will post pictures of the DP and inside the turbo. Calling Invidia on this tomorrow. Hopefully they will respond so that people further down the road don't run into this problem.
Great discovery! We have two other persons reporting the same issue and they have the same brand of downpipe installed. Hopefully this is the correlation for the overboost issues. If you hear of this vehicle overboosting on our latest calibrations, please be sure to communicate this to others in the community. We have made specific changes to combat this and if an overboost occurs. For those still seeing the overboost MIL codes, this is most likely due to a mechancal issue rather than a tuning issue. Running catless exhausts on these vehicle is very problematic as well.

Take care,

Christian.

Great discovery! We have two other persons reporting the same issue and they have the same brand of downpipe installed. Hopefully this is the correlation for the overboost issues. If you hear of this vehicle overboosting on our latest calibrations, please be sure to communicate this to others in the community. We have made specific changes to combat this and if an overboost occurs. For those still seeing the overboost MIL codes, this is most likely due to a mechancal issue rather than a tuning issue. Running catless exhausts on these vehicle is very problematic as well.

Take care,

Christian.

I think it's all the correlation necessary. When I crawled out from under the car with my DP, it was immediately clear as day that the divider was interfering with the wastegate operation. Evidenced both by the shiny spot on the DP, and the wastegate itself. What I find most interesting in all of this are the folks reporting no problems.

For those that didn't know, and in the future just so you do know, with the Invidia Catless DP you can expect to encounter P0108, and P0244. The odd part for me was that I encountered P0108 with no actual boost cut before I ever experienced P0244 with boostcut. Not once did P0104 come up without P0244.

Can you explain why running catless is problematic? Is it problematic with the Cobb OTS maps, or just problematic in general? If it's the latter, I'd like to know why, just so I have a better understanding of things. This is the first turbo car I've owned, so I'm still learning quite a bit.

Can you explain why running catless is problematic? Is it problematic with the Cobb OTS maps, or just problematic in general? If it's the latter, I'd like to know why, just so I have a better understanding of things. This is the first turbo car I've owned, so I'm still learning quite a bit.
For one, it is horrible on the environment. I am not picking on you by any means, just stating facts about operating a vehicle without at least one catalytic converter. A properly designed high-flow metal substrate catalytic converter (similar to the one we use in our downpipes) can flow enough exhaust gases for 500+ HP. This device is not a major restriction in any way shape or form. The main reason it is problematic on these newer vehicles is due to the newer boost control system that Subaru employed. They are using a MUCH smaller orifice in the restrictor pill than previous model year vehicles. This smaller restritcor pill allows the system to boost spike and to boost creep easier than a larger restrictor pill. Having a small amount of exhaust gas back-pressure (EGBP) after the turbo helps prevent the turbo from overrunning when it is put under a heavy load (WOT at lower RPM and taller gears). This EGBP is created by the high-flow catalytic converter. This also allows for a bit more stable boost control as well.

You can read this document on our forums to get a better understand about How Subaru's Factory Boost Control System Works. Information about this restrictor pill, it's location, and it's function can be found here.

Take care,

Christian.

its been about 6 months and my invidia pipe has been perfect knock on wood. maybe you can tweak it when its on the car just enough so that it doesnt interfer

You also have a different turbo than the 07/08s, so it's possible they have changed the operating dimensions of the wastegate just enough to be problematic.

well i think korpsepatrol was having the same issue and i do not think he has an 07 or 08 but i could be wrong. but its a good theory none the less

edit...he has an 05 so we have 1 instance on an 05 and 2 on 07's and up

Archived