LegacyGT.com

LGT Auto Vs Mazda6 MT

keithk831

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO, over the years i've seen crappy mazdas. and i dont think that will be a change since they are now owned by ford. so i would stay away from mazda, expecially their V6 engines if you havent ever seen the problems in them. then their over all build quality, very plasticy and cheap fealing. like the doors and suspension. but this is just my veiw of them. since i did consider a mazda 6 before the LGT.

^^^ I couldn't disagree more. I do worry about the reliability of my 6, but it rides smoother, cornered FAR better stock, and just feels better built and stable. My LGT is floaty at speed, had terrible squat and body roll until I got coilovers, and is MUCH louder inside on the freeway...not to mention the rattles. However, when I put my foot down, the LGT shows me why I bought and love it.

a friend of mine has an MS3 and where I will admit it feels stiffer in corners and is most likely faster, the apparent build quality is only skin deep. When he tries to do any kind of aggressive driving his FWD understeers him into corners and greatly reduces his performace. Even tho he has the MT to my AT and he has stiffer suspension, I am confident my car could out corner him.

I have never driven an ms6, but I have the mazda6 and I'm not impressed. The mazda6 is designed to compete with the taurus, not the lgt.

between the 2, the LGT AT or MT is an obvious choice.

btw you said MTs are usually higher, thats almost never the case in LGTs. The mt may be hrader to find as owners mostly love the cars, but the MT was cheaper from the factory and due to the mainstream desire for MT transmissions they tend to go for less.

Also, if you test drive a 5EAT and it feels slow, just work on it for a while, the ECU is always learning and will adapt its AF and boost ratios to your driving. If the previous owner was a grandma it will feel slow if you're lead footed for about 2 weeks. After that, you will start to feel a difference in seat of th epants acceleration. Watch it tho, you will also feel it in your wallet :lol:

If you dont like that, go cobb stage 1. $700 new gets you an accessport and can help. Still not happy? try stage 2 for another sum less than $1000. If you still not happy, buy a vette :)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

a friend of mine has an MS3 and where I will admit it feels stiffer in corners and is most likely faster, the apparent build quality is only skin deep. When he tries to do any kind of aggressive driving his FWD understeers him into corners and greatly reduces his performace. Even tho he has the MT to my AT and he has stiffer suspension, I am confident my car could out corner him.

I have never driven an ms6, but I have the mazda6 and I'm not impressed. The mazda6 is designed to compete with the taurus, not the lgt.

between the 2, the LGT AT or MT is an obvious choice.

btw you said MTs are usually higher, thats almost never the case in LGTs. The mt may be hrader to find as owners mostly love the cars, but the MT was cheaper from the factory and due to the mainstream desire for MT transmissions they tend to go for less.

Also, if you test drive a 5EAT and it feels slow, just work on it for a while, the ECU is always learning and will adapt its AF and boost ratios to your driving. If the previous owner was a grandma it will feel slow if you're lead footed for about 2 weeks. After that, you will start to feel a difference in seat of th epants acceleration. Watch it tho, you will also feel it in your wallet :lol:

If you dont like that, go cobb stage 1. $700 new gets you an accessport and can help. Still not happy? try stage 2 for another sum less than $1000. If you still not happy, buy a vette :)

on his private road I took my friends ms3 from a roll and it wasn't even funny when we did a launch (he pretty much quit in second gear when I was pulling and was already 2 car lengths ahead). Maybe it is just my "specially hand crafted" specb engine:spin:....had to say it since Vimy has disappeared...

the privious owner of my LGT did this exact thing. Cobb stage 1, then stage 2, then a 'vette Z06. but you cant lug your friends around in a 'vette.

MS6 is no longer in production. but it is a fun car :hide:

Which, IMHO, is one of the HUGE drawbacks of the MS6. It's a limited production car, vs. the LGT, which is a regular, run-of-the-mill (if you know what I mean) Subie model.

Imagine what replacement parts for the MS6 will run in 4-5 years when it was a limited run to begin with, and they're not making 'em anymore, and possibly some parts are year-specific..

It wasn't a limited run car. No one could justify $28,500 for a Sport ($35k+ for the Grand Touring), plus the 2k we tacked on because they were cool. (at one point shortly after I left for college, the Mazda dealer I worked for had like 5 or 6 in stock and not moving) Essentially, it is to the 6 as the LGT is to the Legacy, or maybe closer to a current spec.b (no build caps).

Anyways, doesn't matter much, because the only way you can buy one is secondhand. And no wagon means I wasn't really interested in it in the first place (purchasing wise - but, I'll drive anything for a Slurpee)

oh yea, when my friend got his ms3 he ordered it and paid list price for it. They would not even let him test drive one prior to ordering. He bought it on a "feeling" that it would be nicer than the WRX. (plus he wanted a hatch and he said the WRX had an "ugly butt")

I sat in an ms6 at the dealer when he was getting it. Actually like 5 of us went up there when he picked it up :lol: we mulled around sitting in cars and stuff, probably causing a pain. But he was spending money and buying at list so what could they say.

I remember this was after the ms6 production had stopped, yet they had 3 on the lot, 1 of which was in the showroom. When we had went there for my friend to test drive the ms3, they told both him no on an ms3 testdrive and m3 no on an ms6 testdrive.

Mazda thinks thinks they can take a normal 4cyl car, throw a turbo on it, and suddenly that makes it OH SUPAH RARE SUPAH FAST SUPHA SUPAAAHHH!! and its just not.

What got me was he kept saying the ms6/3 have a 2.0 or something? and they have like a 9 compression. How can you run boost at any substantial rate on 9 compression? Isn't that engine going to blow in less than 100k miles if it gets some abuse? couple that with a TMIC with no scoop, and you have heat soak. A word to Mazda engineers, heat RISES so to have a closed hood on top of the IC at a stop is not doing you any benefit. At least with our hood scoop when sitting still the heat from the IC can naturally rise out of the scoop.

I may be making some assumptions here causing flawed logic and otherwise incorrect conclusions, if so, just point em out :)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

It wasn't a limited run car. No one could justify $28,500 for a Sport ($35k+ for the Grand Touring), plus the 2k we tacked on because they were cool.

I'll give you that :-)

Essentially, it is to the 6 as the LGT is to the Legacy, or maybe closer to a current spec.b (no build caps).

Anyways, doesn't matter much, because the only way you can buy one is secondhand. And no wagon means I wasn't really interested in it in the first place (purchasing wise - but, I'll drive anything for a Slurpee)

That's where I'm going to disagree with you somewhat. I'll agree that it's like a Spec B. NOT an LGT. Why? LGT - in 2005, you could get manual or 5EAT in both wagon and sedan. That's 4 drivetrain/bodystyle combinations - same as the 2.5i. The regular 6 has/had 12 combinations, AFAIK: sedan/coupe/wagon, MT/AT and 4/6 cyl. And NONE of them have the 2.3T.

Anyway - the MS6 was uninteresting to me (in terms of actually buying one) for the same reason the Spec B doesn't really interest me: not available in wagon (wagons rock!), and not available with AT (my wife doesn't like MT, and it's not practical here in Silicon Valley traffic..)

yeah, it is more like the current spec.b now that you put that way. It had a lot of potential, but mazda was late to the show (has been ever since becoming absorbed by the blue oval) and produced the first iteration at a time when everyone has on the third generation hot mid-size sedan. It got slammed in comparsion test after comparo test because you could get a fully loaded accord, jetta, LGT, etc for the same cash, and had about the same or slower performance IIRC as the wrx and evos that cost less anyways. The few times I drove it were fun, but like most high-performance mazdaspeeds, it spent a lot of time in the service lane. :D

Not to mention, they alienated the wagon people, myself included. It would have been a sick wagon.

Not to mention, they alienated the wagon people, myself included. It would have been a sick wagon.

Totally agree on that. (my wife still loves her mazda 3, but in hindsight would have gotten the hatch instead of sedan)

So I have been leaning towards a LGT for a while now, but today I went and test drove a V6 Mazda6. I wasn't impressed with the AT version, but the MT felt about as quick (if not quicker) than the LGT 5EAT I test drove a month or so ago.

Since these cars are similar in performance, features and price, what are your thoughts on the matter? Obviously the LGT MT takes the cake; i'm just wondering about these two cars.

AWD is something I think would be nice to have, but when i'm done with school I doubt we'll live anywhere that gets tons of snow.

Where in the world did you find a MT Mazda6?!?! I looked for months, couldn't find one. I'm glad I didn't though, I eventually learned to hate how that car looked.

Yea that was heavily weighing on my mind when I test drove it lol. I just couldn't see myself driving a hatch.

Real men drive what they want and don't give a flying **** what others think.

Where in the world did you find a MT Mazda6?!?! I looked for months, couldn't find one. I'm glad I didn't though, I eventually learned to hate how that car looked.

all over the place. and it was available as a v6 mt wagon :drool:

with fwd :/drool:

They have a few at the local dealership here. They were all 08s I believe, but same difference.

I wasn't impressed with the AT version, but the MT felt about as quick (if not quicker) than the LGT 5EAT I test drove a month or so ago.

I think that's just perception. I ran a friend of mine with a manual Mazda 6 on a private drive just him and I and had him. Then he got an intake, headers, exhaust and I went Stage 1 [just an ECU reflash] and I beat him even worse. I will give him credit though that on a roll-on race at aroun 40mph I kinda struggled at first to start walking away, but once the auto and turbo finally "caught up", I started leaving him behind.

Although I mentioned races, these were seriously done on a private drive with nobody around, keep in mind this forum does not condone street racing.

Since these cars are similar in performance, features and price, what are your thoughts on the matter?

They are not similar in performance unless you're only considering straight line. I think the deal maker or breaker is going to lie in two factors for you:

-how important is modability

-how important is AWD and handling

Don't be so convinced that you won't mod. I was too and I just got to Stage 2 and already considering the groundwork for Stage 2.5 or 3.

I have seen and driven the Mazda 6, it was the car I mentioned above. My buddy, after having owned it for just a year, envies my LGT and I tend to agree with him. The subdued and more elegant interior of my LGT is more to my liking, for one.

+1, I'm not usually one to do performance mods but the AP is so easy to do and such a good buy (code reader as well) that I couldn't help it.

LGT for modability especially. the legacy has a much bigger performance market than the mazda6.

Archived