LegacyGT.com

Defroster Ineffective

Hi everyone, first post!

I just got an 08 Legacy 2.5i SE. Black on black with a 5 speed. I've had it for a few weeks now and I love it so far. I'm in the northeast and in the past couple weeks it's rained a few times and been pretty humid shortly thereafter. When I'm driving either during the rain or right after it the windshield fogs up a lot. No matter what I do with the defroster setting, blasting it on hot or cold, it just won't go away. It's on the outside of the windshield and the wipers get rid of it immediately, but it comes back quickly. It's frustrating because I have to use my wipers even when it isn't raining. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you and I'm excited to be a member.

-Keith

Condensation on the outside of the glass is common any time it's humid outside and your glass is cooler than the surrounding air. I don't think anything you do with your HVAC will change it.

Rain-X (the regular kind on the windshield, not their Anti-Fog product) will help. You'll still need the wipers.

Condensation on the outside of the glass is common any time it's humid outside and your glass is cooler than the surrounding air. I don't think anything you do with your HVAC will change it.

Exactly. The AC makes the outside of the windshield colder than the condensation point of the outside air. You have to make the glass warmer. My solution is to turn up the temp knob to heat the defroster air flow a little.

Or change the vent mode so it isn't blowing the cold air directly at the glass. Defroster setting would be about the worst choice in this scenario.

I typically get a small spot of condensation on the outside front side windows due to the small vent over there.

I see condensation on the outside of the windows a lot here during the muggy midwest summers durning or after rain storms. It sucks because you don't want to run the heat to warm up the windshield because it is already 80+ degrees outside with 100% humidity.

I will need to give rain-x a try.

Archived