LegacyGT.com

2nd gear white noise???

Ryandigi

Just installed a cobb sts. I have it adjusted almost as low as it can go. I greased the heck out of the basket and ball with gray lithium grease from checkers automotive.

Anyway in 2nd gear I get this weird slight whine, but even more weird is the white static noise I also get. In third it disappears and the static noise also disappears if I pull down slightly on the gear lever while in second. But if I push up while in first gear I hear a less loud version of the white static noise. Could this mean second is not fully engaged? The only reason that does not make sense to me is due to getting a similar noise from first by over-engaging.

It did not do this when first installed, but started about 20 miles after install 2 days later. I will try and see if adjusting it up -as in making the bottom lever shorter-(I love the short throw though!) to see if that helps. I checked for clearances, cut out the rubber, foam, and metal plate as well. Any input or similarities with others who installed sts would be great.

realize I am talking to myself. But I went in for some surgery on her today. Turns out it was due to me having it set to low. I raised (shortened) the throw further and now the static is gone and just the normal light 2nd gear whine is back.

Only problem is the link (transmission fork? the thing that links the tranny to the shifter) now rubs the rubber on the top side of that channel leading the link (transmission fork thing) to the transmission. Since that thing gets hot and after many repeated shifts what happens if that wears away? Is it easy to replace if even necessary? Originally I had it just below rubbing...

I had to trim the metal plate on the top edeg so the shifter linkage would not hit in 1st (or was it 3rd?). Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but some trimming is necessary, and normal.
ignore him, he'll go away.

I had to trim the metal plate on the top edeg so the shifter linkage would not hit in 1st (or was it 3rd?). Not sure if that's what you're talking about, but some trimming is necessary, and normal.

I trimmed that thing flush. Just talking about the rubber tube that follows the copper.

Check the pic I attached...this is not of my car, I have cut out the metal piece....found it on a walkthrough

untitled1.JPG.2cac5db76f45690c4ec4bc87a76aa48c.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I just had some issues with my Cobb STS install. It's such a piece of cake to adjust it though, that after some tweaking I think I've gotten all the bugs worked out.

#1: I tightened the bolt/nut onto the yoke too much. If it's actually tight, loosen it about 1/4 turn. You'll notice even before it becomes "snug" it's still difficult to tighten; it's not a loose nut. So just bring it snug and then back it off a little bit. I noticed this greatly reduced transmission noises and shifter effort.

#2: Ensure that the rubber boot/foam is not creating any issues. Especially when set on it's shortest setting, there's alot of material that becomes cramped in there. I trimmed the rubber plate and foam significantly to help free up some room....it allows a little more noise through though.

Joe

Edit: oh yeah, #3: Get some Subaru Extra-S fluid in there. I haven't done it yet, but I've heard it's the Cat's Meow!

Archived