LegacyGT.com

Wagon Sunroof on a Sedan?

sgtpeper

oh man, big sunroof and safari windows would be cool :lol:

haha - gotta go with a Ranger Rover for those. But I doubt anything short of the new RR Sport or RR Supercharged (two different cars, Sport based on LR3, Supercharged is a true RR) would be nearly as much fun as the Leggy.

I would particularly like a glass roof option. Doubt it will happen, though.

The existing sedan sunroof slides into the roof, because it is shallow enough to do so.

Unfortunately, the wagon's glass roof is so much deeper, it wouldn't retract all the way before hitting the rear glass. Up and over the roof is another option, I suppose, but more susceptible to damage from debris when up like that... Not only that, but the roof of the wagon angles up further at the front, where the sedan is more flat.

I wouldn't mind a full glass roof option, with a front and rear glass panel, kind of like a new Mini, Tc, or a Merc C-class small coupe. Something where the front glass moves down and under the rear glass when it opens.

The whole roof between the rain rails, from the windsheild to the rear glass could be painted black, to make it look uniform.

Again, likely not gonna happen. too bad. though.

I just wonder about the "ring structure" of the subaru Unibody.

I think there is a major crossmember through the middle of the sedan's roof between the B-pillars. but I could be wrong. It would have to be engineered for the sedan sunroof to pass through or around it... If that is the case, a full glass roof might be a challenge, even a slatted stack-opening version. It would be very cool, though, if it could be done.

But then again, the wagon's sunroof is huge, and occupies the area where any such b-pillar cross brace would be, but the wagon's roof structure could have the crossmember between the C-pillars, and still be roughly in the middle of the roof, between the headers above the windsheild, and the tailgate in the rear.

It is an interesting premise, though. I did see in a magazine the other day that Classic Design Concepts has developed a "glassback" roof for the 2005 Mustang, where they replace the roof skin sheetmetal with curved, tinted glass from the windsheild to the backlight. That would be pretty cool, even though it probably doesn't open. The mustang hasn't had any sort of glass sunroof/T-top option since the early nineties.

I hope the Mini, Tc, G6, etc. prove that the glass roof options are both popular and viable to produce on a large scale. Maybe then more cars will start sporting them.

Archived