LegacyGT.com

acceleration from stop or coasting gives brief grrr sound

Hi,

1997 Legacy AWD automatic. When coasting or stopped and then accelerate infrequently gives a grrrrr sound for half second then all is perfect. Fluids fine, and no other unusual sounds when going faster, turning, slowing etc. Any ideas? I live in San Diego, who would you trust there to look it over? If I avoid Subaru do I go to a transmission shop? Thanks in advance.:)

Hmmmm, does the sound affect how the car drives? Or is it just a sound? Is it only when you do _____? Try to pin down what is going on when this happens. I'd say talk to your handy dandy local mechanic (if you have one that you always go to). However, if there's actual transmission work to do, I would say let Subaru do the work, and I'll explain why.....

Years ago, the trans blew in my 96 AWD Auto, so the folks took it to our local trans shop, they transplanted a rebuilt tranny in. Bad move, it was the wrong set of gears so all went to crap. Try #2 worked a ok. All was well and fine until just now when I had to get a speed sensor replaced on the transmission.

I guess the Suby guys color code the bolts inside the tranny, since mine was a rebuild, it just got plane jane bolts. I'm looking at extra time and money spent on my repair now, just because we saved a few a while back.

Anywho im done lecturing, if you can tell what gear you are in, does it only do it when shifting from 1 to 2? or so on...

Any other info we can go on?

Hope to help you out and welcome to Legacy GT

Thanks jonklein611 for your response. My last name is Klein too!. Really. In fact was born in Philly.

This is just a sound that happens when I am slowing coasting or at a rolling stop and then slightly hit accelerator on local streets. Hear it for half second and no more and no other time. Probably hear it in gear one while going slow to alittle faster but still in gear one. I have read that sometimes heat shields below car can vibrate. Am waiting to see if noise becomes greater or stays same.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Yeah mine does the same thing and I took a look underneath it today. It's definitely the heat shield. Mine looks like it was macgyver'd in there so I am debating whether or not to replace it or just take the damn thing off.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey ElectricSunset, Did you ever find the source of the noise? Ive got a 2001 legacy wagon and also live in San Diego. Upon acceleration while going low speeds I get a metallic grrrrrring sound. if I give it more gas or get off the gas the sound goes away. Some days the sound is there and others not. Ive crawled underneath and poked and prodded the exhaust / shields and cannot located a rattle. My mechanic guessed that it might need a valve adjustment. But the car runs great, has no ticking sound, no weird smoke from the tail pipe, Idles great at any rpm, and passed smog no problems.Ive also been running high octane gas to see if anything changes. Anyone out there have a pic or schematic showing the place where the rattle was on the exhaust/ shields. No driving problems but the noise is fricken annoying.......

• 3 weeks later...
When the exhaust rattles, it is usually the heatshields on the y-pipe. Wrap your hand with a rag and hit the exhaust, if it sounds like the heat shield on the y-pipe, take some bolts and "install" them in between the pipe and heat shield. Most of the time it will fix the rattle but sometimes it will come back later on.

Archived