LegacyGT.com

No LGT wagons in CA

Predator

There's currently 3 LGT manual wagons (1 non-limited, 2 limited) for sale in the salt lake city area :), though they're all over 50k mi :(

I know of one of them that already sold. The silver one with 94K sold already, the guy posted up about it in another thread, I had my eye on that one.

There was also a red 05 wagon 5mt in Pheonix in June, but he has not reposted on craigslist it for a month so I think it sold as well.

Good news! Found one and I fly out on the 18th to pick it up and drive her back. Here's a link on the California DMV website with a checklist for buying a vehicle from another state. Might be a good sticky???

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/outofstate.htm

Anyways I got a great deal ($14.5k) on an '05 LGT limited, silver with black interior. One owner. Very personable guy. He's buying a minivan and the LGT is the odd man out. Pic below...

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2008/6/11/246/210/7475073891.246210687.IM1.04.565x421_A.565x376.jpg

I'm new to these boards and I just wanna say thanks for all the help. I've got PM's and quick replies from all sorts of folks to my requests for help and info. I belong to a lot of car enthusiast national forums mostly under the name "Steiner"...Bimmerforums, EvoM, NorcalEvo, RX8club, NASIOC, InfinitiFX.org, etc, etc. This one is right at the top. Thanks guys!

I found it though Autotrader. It's located in Illinois. I created and saved a search for 2005/2006 Subaru Legacies using the keywords "GT", "limited" and "LTD" and set it up so autotrader sends emails to me whenever another car gets added that fits that search criteria. I almost bought this one...

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited - $13,995

It seemed almost too good to be true. Speed_Racer offered to do a Carfax report for me and it turned out to be a fricken 2.5i...

CARFAX

That was strike three for dealerships. I'd had enough. Private party is the way to go IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys. It's an auto. Right now plans for the car are conservative since this is my daily driver. I have another car I track to satisfy the mod bug. The only thing I'd like to get right now are some Prodrive cans because I can't hear the engine. Sounds like they're tough to find though.

• 2 weeks later...
A little update. Went to the DMV this morning to take care of all the registration paperwork and give Uncle Sam his tax cut. Car passed inspection, is 50 state smog legal, but California law still requires an smog inspection before they'll send me my plates. Fuggers. Not a big deal but hopefully this info will help the next person trying to register a vehicle they purchased out of state.

Anytime a car changes ownership in California it has to be smogged. BUT since the seller was out of state, California can not require them by law to smog it before sale. So when you buy out of state it is the buyers responsibility. If you had purchased the car in state the seller would have had to get the car tested before they could sell it.

Still looking for my 05 wagon 5sp in any color but black or red.

Anytime a car changes ownership in California it has to be smogged. BUT since the seller was out of state, California can not require them by law to smog it before sale.

Actually, no.

CA law exempts sold cars under a few years (6 IIRC) from SMOg checks.

However, imported (out of state) cars need a SMOG check.

I'm not sure I understand the logic, but it's the case.

There is no logic - especially since the car is less than 5 years old, the DMV has already inspected it and it says under the hood that the car is 50 state legal. Smog checks are a source of revenue for the state. That's all. This state is broke and corrupt.

I hate to say it but I was wrong, but then I don't feel so bad because so where you. Right off of the DMV websight.

"Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:"

The dmv also says "The following is required to register a nonresident vehicle: 7.Smog certification, if applicable"

So I don't know if it would be applicable since the car is newer then 4 years old.

The rule I don't get the most is "California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards."

Huh?

Ok

"Upon initial registration, nonresident and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles."

Nonresident vehicle means vehcile previously registered in not California. All vehicles imported from outside of CA need a SMOG check.

"When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when one of the following occurs:"

A vehcile 4 model years old or newer requires no SMOG check. They do require a fee, but not a check. A nonresident vehicle needs the SMOg check, not for the transfer (which actually happened on an out-of state title anyhow), but to actually get a new CA title.

"The rule I don't get the most is "California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards."

It's illegal to import or sell a "new" non-CARB approved vehicle in CA. CA law defines new as "under 7500 miles." This is to avoid a straw buyer situation.

To sum up.

Out of state title to CA title? Always needs a SMOG check (with exceptions, but model year is not an exception -- for example diesels and hybrids are SMOG exempt largely due to SMOG stations not having equipment for them)

Trabnsfer from 1 CA owner to another: under 4 years means no SMOG needed, justa fee

Finally, no "bnew" non-CARB vehciles allowed

• 2 weeks later...

Archived