LegacyGT.com

Which DP????

bludool

I am very new to the subaru world. I have researched this site and several others but am not getting the info I am looking for, so here goes....

I have an 08 Outback XT and am headed to Portland next week to have Jarred at PDX put a Perrin DP and a custom dyno tune with a Cobb AP. My question is this... Is the Perrin catted DP the best out there? What about Cobb, AVO, Invidia. I have read the reviews but can't really tell which is "best". I recognize this is a rather expensive upgrade. I just want to make sure that I do it right from the start.

Thanks

Most people will say the Cobb DP is the best. Invidia, I think is up there as well. AVO design is good but people don't like the cat placement and a member who purchased a early AVO DP, said they were breaking at the point where the bellmouth attached.

My invidia catless is pretty awesome, especially quality-wise. The only problem I think most people have with it is that it's 3" flat-flange rather than the taper to 2.5" donut, so it's not specifically designed to mate to stock. It's cool, though. Having a shop cut and weld a flange to mate up isn't a big deal. I really didn't feel like paying the Cobb tax this time around.

Cobb goes from 3 inch to 2.5 inch to ensure, that you have no issues with stock donut gasket with the catback.

AVO and Invida is full three inch through and ultilize flat flanges.

AVO, Invidia and Cobb have cast bell mouths but the Cobb mouth is not divorced like its two competitor's models. Divorced bellmouth are supposed to help spool.

Cobb the cat is at the rear of pipe. AVO and Invidia, the cat is near the bell mouth. Having the cat closer to the turbo is more of a restriction. However, it lights the cat off faster, if your concerned with emissions.

AVO you can get the downpipe with a ceramic and metal cat. Cobb DP comes with a metal cat. I think Invidia catted pipe is ceramic but I'm not sure. Also, you can get the Invidia pipe with no cat.

AVO bell mouth can be removed and swapped, with a twinscroll bell mouth. This is for use of a twinscroll turbo.

I'm running Cobb problem free ... mind you it has only been 6 months.

Have read complaints from members about virtually every DP ... except for the Cobb.

Good luck.

I had Cobb and Invidia Downpipes (both catted versions) on my WRX and can safely say the Invidia helped low end spool compared to the Cobb . Not a great difference but definitely noticable. I now have an Invidia catted pipe just begging to be installed in my LGT.

I have the Perrin 2 piece catted Downpipe on my Legacy gt and I would not recomedn it for two reasons:

1) fitment sucks

2) 2 cats, alot more restriction.

I used a legacy gt megan racing Downpipe on my 08 wrx (same as legacy gt) and it fit perfect and is very very inexpensive cmpared to its competitors. this would be my recomendation if you want to go catless and gain a few extra ponies.

In case you guys were not aware yet, but the COBB catted DP's are on hold due to an issue with the HFC not being HF. They are failing most IM tests including the ones here. So as far as I know, they aren't selling them right now until they can fix the issue. I know that I will NOT be buying one but either the Perrin or a fancy spancy Harman Motive DP.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Any idea who Cobb and Perrin each buy their cats from?

I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same place.

In fact I'd be surprised if most of the DP manufacturers didn't get them from the same place.

So what is your source on this info ??

I received my new DP from Cobb 2 weeks ago.

In case you guys were not aware yet, but the COBB catted DP's are on hold due to an issue with the HFC not being HF. They are failing most IM tests including the ones here. So as far as I know, they aren't selling them right now until they can fix the issue. I know that I will NOT be buying one but either the Perrin or a fancy spancy Harman Motive DP.

Josh @ COBB here..........

AKLGT

I have no idea where you got that info from??? :D

Our downpipes are not on hold. The cats are still fine. They still pass most tests that have been reported to us.

NSFW

You are probably right. There is only 1 manufacturer of metal substrate cats in the U.S. The companies that offer cats usually buy their substrate from them and make their own bodies. There is also a manufacturer of metal substrate cats in Japan, and one or two in Europe, all of which are too expensive for most people to use. :)

Huh, first I've heard of this too. I'm more worried about the overboost problem, which is why my Cobb DP is sitting in the garage and not on the car. These OTS maps are absolutely horrible, so doesn't instill me with confidence that I won't overboost or will have any ability to correct it if I do :(

Placed an order with Cobb directly 4 weeks ago for the dp.

They said "Thank you for your online order. We expect to ship your downpipe in about 4 - 5 weeks because of a back order. I apologize for the slight delay, but we appreciate your patience. Please note, we do not charge until your order is ready to ship. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions."

I ran my 08 lgt on a cobb stg 2 map and had no problems with overboosting with a perrin catted D/P. I also ran my 08 wrx with a cobb map stg 2 map and a catless D/P and so far it doesn't seem like it is overboosting.

As far as cobb OTS maps go, I don't think they horrible. There is always room for improvement, but once you add some others mods like a intake or intercooler you need to get a protune anyways. I consider a cobb OTS map like a temperary map until I finish my mods and get a protune.

Archived