LegacyGT.com

Sway Bars / Springs&Struts / Coilovers - HELP....

ProHobo

I am buying a GT 09 (Most probably - instead of the Spec B).

I would like to upgrade the suspension...but I am a little lost on which route to go.

Questions:

1. Sway bars - I will most certainly add these. I did on my WRX and it made a WORLD of difference. I was thinking about the COBB bars - as that is what I am using now. Any other brands I should consider? and Why?

2. Springs/Shocks vs. Coilovers. After you add the price of Springs and Shocks (struts) it is almost the same cost as coilovers. About $1000 - $1300. Should I think about just going to coilovers? If you had a choice of spring/shock(strut) vs. coilover for realitively the same cost - which would you choose and why? What coilovers?

3. Spring/Strut Combos??? There are SO MANY combinations and sifting through the forums it seems that Pinks/Blisten HD or Swift/Blisten HD are what everyone is on about. I haven't read too much on Cobb/Blisten or Rallitech/Blisten. One thing is forsure - people seem to really like the B-HDs stuts! It would be nice to see a STICKY thread on the different spring ride heights and stiff nice (with matching photos) and their strut combos. I am looking for a performance daily driver - with the occasional auto-cross - nothing more.

Any suggestions, points to threads, or thoughts welcomed.

I like my cobb bars. What ever you decide to get, make sure it comes with a reinforcement bracket for the rears. You need them. If people tell you otherwise, they're wrong.

Coilovers are a better suspension design in terms of lowering vs. not losing suspenion damper travel, tuning and adjustability. But, I prefer a better made product and a little more comfort. I would rather have a better built shock/strut/spring combo vs. an entry level coilover at those price points.

Its hard to say what's right for who regarding suspension. My advice is get a ride in local members cars with suspension upgrades. Even if its not what you're looking for, it helps create a basis for comparision and a list of what you don't want can help you zero in on what you do.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I went with coil-overs because they have so many strut and spring combos. I have KW V.2 and they ride very smooth and give a BMW type firm ride never harsh. I also have whiteline adj. F&R sway bars both set on soft. Together they are a great setup. They give you great body control and make the car very neutral.

Other things I have:

19x7.5 w/225/35/19 make the car handle much better

LCA poly bushing. Tighten up steering and helps car hold line better

RSB reinforcement bracket= For added insurance

Cusco F&R lower control braces. Made my wagon feel stiffer

This is my car with the coils set at 1/4" below max height.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/172407.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/172352.jpg

Hope this helps. Good luck

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I like my cobb bars. What ever you decide to get, make sure it comes with a reinforcement bracket for the rears. You need them. If people tell you otherwise, they're wrong.

Coilovers are a better suspension design in terms of lowering vs. not losing suspenion damper travel, tuning and adjustability. But, I prefer a better made product and a little more comfort. I would rather have a better built shock/strut/spring combo vs. an entry level coilover at those price points.

Its hard to say what's right for who regarding suspension. My advice is get a ride in local members cars with suspension upgrades. Even if its not what you're looking for, it helps create a basis for comparision and a list of what you don't want can help you zero in on what you do.

I love my Cobb sways on the WRX, but I have not added any other suspension systems. I would love to ride in some local legacy rides - but I moved here about a year ago and really don;t know the local scene.

I am looking for a softer ride - rather than a track ride.

Thanks for the response.

Check out the Koni struts as well. They cost about the same as Bilstein HD's and they're rebound adjustable so you can better match what ever springs you decide to use with them.

I am not sure what you mean by rebound adjustable. Does that mean you can reset the resistance on the struts?

I will read more about them - sounds interesting.

I went with coil-overs because they have so many strut and spring combos. I have KW V.2 and they ride very smooth and give a BMW type firm ride never harsh. I also have whiteline adj. F&R sway bars both set on soft. Together they are a great setup. They give you great body control and make the car very neutral.

Other things I have:

19x7.5 w/225/35/19 make the car handle much better

LCA poly bushing. Tighten up steering and helps car hold line better

RSB reinforcement bracket= For added insurance

Cusco F&R lower control braces. Made my wagon feel stiffer

This is my car with the coils set at 1/4" below max height.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Your ride looks sweeeeet!!!!

A couple of questions...what settings do you normally set your coilovers for daily driving?

I am looking to run 18x8 wheels - I see that you have 19x7.5 - I would guess you are running a VERY narrow side wall - does that give you a harder driving experience, or do you feel your suspension system makes up for that?

I have to say, that out of all the wagon photos I have seen, your ride looks very nice - seems balanced (via the ride height) not to much in the rear or front.

Any good or bad experiences you want to share?

Thanks again....

Your ride looks sweeeeet!!!!

A couple of questions...what settings do you normally set your coilovers for daily driving?

I am looking to run 18x8 wheels - I see that you have 19x7.5 - I would guess you are running a VERY narrow side wall - does that give you a harder driving experience, or do you feel your suspension system makes up for that?

I have to say, that out of all the wagon photos I have seen, your ride looks very nice - seems balanced (via the ride height) not to much in the rear or front.

Any good or bad experiences you want to share?

Thanks again....

I'm runner General exclaim UHP 225/35/19 the have a very smooth ride as most here that have them will tell you the same. They work great with my KW's coil overs. They are 18 way adj. and I have set at 12 from hard in the front and 14 in the rear. The springs on the KW's are much stiffer then stock(stock springs are about 4.5 or 5k and KW are 7k). But the dampers do such a great job at smoothing out the ride you would never know. That is the other reason I went with coil-overs are the damper are matched to the springs. I had H-tech on stock struts before I got the KW's and they we fine for the first 2 months then, they wore out the stock strut and the ride was very bad and the back started to sag.

I can't stand a car that rides like a go kart as a daily driver. I'm too old for that. I put my wife and kids in the car and a 50 or 100+mi trip is no big deal and she never complains about the ride.

Plus my 19's weight about the same as the stock wheel so I don't get the bad ride you get with heavy wheel that make the suspension work harder.

I have nothing but good things to say about my setup. Only thing some may say is it's too low but, I don't have a problem with driveways.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I'm runner General exclaim UHP 225/35/19 the have a very smooth ride as most here that have them will tell you the same. They work great with my KW's coil overs. They are 18 way adj. and I have set at 12 from hard in the front and 14 in the rear. The springs on the KW's are much stiffer then stock(stock springs are about 4.5 or 5k and KW are 7k). But the dampers do such a great job at smoothing out the ride you would never know. That is the other reason I went with coil-overs are the damper are matched to the springs. I had H-tech on stock struts before I got the KW's and they we fine for the first 2 months then, they wore out the stock strut and the ride was very bad and the back started to sag.

I can't stand a car that rides like a go kart as a daily driver. I'm too old for that. I put my wife and kids in the car and a 50 or 100+mi trip is no big deal and she never complains about the ride.

Plus my 19's weight about the same as the stock wheel so I don't get the bad ride you get with heavy wheel that make the suspension work harder.

I have nothing but good things to say about my setup. Only thing some may say is it's too low but, I don't have a problem with driveways.

I am really thinking of going with the KWs. Those are KWs Version 2 , right?

Thanks for the link...I did read that before posting...

It does a great job defining coil-overs, springs, and struts. It was very helpful.

My question was not WHAT they are and or how they work, but rather feed back on either a spring/strut combo vs. coil over.

As I am not looking for a track car, but rather a great performance 95% daily driver - which spring/struc combo or coil over whould best serve my needs - based on what I am looking for.

After searching - (not every thread) - they usually fall into two camps. 1. How to install them (doesn't help with my decision) or 2. They love them and they are great and just what they wanted. However they don't indicate what kind of driver they are (are they autocross nuts, low riding junkies, daily drivers, etc.). Did they love them for the track? Are they 20 year old street racers? Was it a hard banging ride? Etc.... Just because you LOVE them and they could be the BEST - they might not be the best for everyone's needs. :rolleyes:

I have also sent a few PMs - but nothing back.

Maybe my OP post wasn't clear.

I am looking for a coilover OR spring/strut combo that performs well for a daily driving car with about 5% auto-cross events. I do NOT want a slammed car or looking for a HARD ride. Any suggestions. I really do NOT want to spend more than $1500 if I go coil-overs. I really do NOT want to spend more than $800 if I go spring/stut combo.

Sorry if I am wasting anyone's time.

Daily driver, go for Bilstein HD's or JDM GT Bilsteins with Pinks or Swifts. Or Check out Koni and Tokico.

For coilovers you really need to spend some cash to get good ones that also have a somewhat comfy ride for a coilover while still getting good performance...Bilstein PSS or Tein Comfort Sport. KW2 or Racecomps versions aren't bad either but should be rougher (better performance) then the strut/spring combo.

Daily driver' date=' go for Bilstein HD's or JDM [b']GT[/b] Bilsteins with Pinks or Swifts. Or Check out Koni and Tokico.

For coilovers you really need to spend some cash to get good ones that also have a somewhat comfy ride for a coilover while still getting good performance...Bilstein PSS or Tein Comfort Sport. KW2 or Racecomps versions aren't bad either but should be rougher (better performance) then the strut/spring combo.

Why should the KW V.2 be "rougher"? They use the stock tophats. The rubber in them take the edge of of impacts. Do KW's or racecomps feel rough to you when you rode in cars with them? I have never heard that from anyone the have rode in my car or in any post.

Archived