LegacyGT.com

Looking for...

Has anyone found an exhaust system that sounds good on the N/A legacies? Even just a muffler, I don't want that fart can sound, but im looking for something to spice up the legacy. (1996 L wagon with the 2.2L)

Thoughts, opinions, samples?

- Jon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Stromung cat back on my 2.2 wagon. Sounds healthy. Nothing like a cheapo "trash can" on a civic. To do that to a subi would be just plain wrong.

Which one fits though?

I have a local "tuner shop" that if I told them my car had a Gallo 12 theyd believe me, so they are useless. I've got my local shop that will do the install, but all they can get are the generic standard mufflers.

Stupid question, what tools are needed for a cat back or axel back? Any welding or is it all bolt on for those parts?

Thanks for all the help.

Also if you put a trash can on a suby (some WRX's around my area...) it just sounds like a boat at idle. I don't want my wagon to be a boat....

This is a total do it yourself job. All you should need are a couple of box wrenches, and a jack to do the job.Buy the muffler or setup specifically for your car & it should "bolt on". It's not usually cheap though. Or you could have your local welder "fashion" something together. You might even be able to pay him with beer. Just make sure you give him the beer once the project is done. If you do it yourself make sure you have all the gaskets you need, and new nuts,bolts&washers. Also clean up any flanges you take apart, before you bolt up anything new. Scrape off any old gasket, or rust with a wirebrush & scraper.Easy.

Not sure what model it is. Call boxer4racing in NC.828-683-9218. Tell them what car you have & they will send you the right one.Plan ahead though, those systems are made when the're ordered. Mine took almost a month to get.

Cut the bolts with a torch, grinder, sawzall, or what have you. Once the bolts are cut the two flanges should separate. If not, drive a chisel or the like between the two mating surfaces of the flanges. Be as careful as you can with the flange that will remain on the car. Also, use caution with whatever you're cutting the bolts with. Don't forget that your gas tank is close to the midpipe>muffler flange!

Thanks for the help, got it appart (10min job turned into an hour job) and got the new one all bolted in. I'll post the videos once I get home.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it's a great sounding muffler that isn't annoying. :-D In other words, I only make noise when I want to.

Ok Pre exhaust, just a SRI on the front

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x9gZX92kjU]YouTube - Subaru Legacy 1996 L Wagon[/ame]

Post exhaust Change:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ItpWZsntA0]YouTube - Subaru Legacy 1996 L Wagon New exhaust[/ame]

Archived