LegacyGT.com

what exactly is a "summer" tire ?

JohnEylesj

That is so weird. I've never seen a tire change treadwear rating based on size.

Now, admittedly I usually don't look too closely at treadwear ratings on sizes that I don't buy (so maybe this is more common than I think), but yeah you are right. For the RE-01R, some sizes are 180 and some are 140.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE-01R&tirePageLocQty=

Though, to be honest, I have 245/40/17, and I could swear they say 140 on the sidewalls. The above chart says they should be 180? Hmm.

Actually, if you go to Bridgestone's own specification page, they say the RE01-R is 180 in all sizes. Maybe they've changed it as they've had more time to gauge actual wear?

I do realize tread wear rating is pretty much useless.

Actually, if you go to Bridgestone's own specification page, they say the RE01-R is 180 in all sizes. Maybe they've changed it as they've had more time to gauge actual wear?

I do realize tread wear rating is pretty much useless.

Yeah, my 245/40/17 definitely say 140 on the sidewall. I bought them on closeout. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rating after the first production cycles. TireRack is probably just showing off what they have in stock.

My yoko AVS ES100s had the grip of a plastic big wheel when the temps hit the 40's, you definitely don't want to use summer tires in the cold, I am not even going to mention snow.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to use summer tires, but i recently switched to Advan S.4 245/45-R18

they are an all season, but they outperform the summers I had (Toyo T1R). Much better treadwear as well. no idea how they handle in the cold though

Guess we'll be able to share thoughts. I'm about to get those same tires, the yokos, for my gf's WRX.

And yes, even with out warm LA winters, there is definitely less grip with summers. I've experienced limited grip with both ES100s and the AVS Sports in 40 degree weather. Kinda surprised me actually.

Guess we'll be able to share thoughts. I'm about to get those same tires, the yokos, for my gf's WRX.

And yes, even with out warm LA winters, there is definitely less grip with summers. I've experienced limited grip with both ES100s and the AVS Sports in 40 degree weather. Kinda surprised me actually.

Heh, I drove my RE050A PPs in well into the 20s (F) (in my defense, it was still 50s in the day time). Ever drifted a wide left turn (intersection) at 25 mph in a FWD car? Awesome. :spin:

Archived