LegacyGT.com

Data Logging/Display with Treehugger.exe SSM

f1anatic

http://www.codeplex.com/ssm

This is a new interface that builds on a few existing data loggers. it has a neat interface - as in 6 digital readouts on a black background and it integrates nicely with most CarPC front ends - in my case Centrafuse.

That being said, i cannot make it to work. I get an error stating that the data has to be 5 bytes. Has anyone used this beofre or is willing to give it a try and let me know if it works ? The parameters can be configured - you just have to find the id and input instead of MockECU the COM port you are using.

In the "c:program filesnatewSSM" directory you'll find TreeHugger.exe and TreeHugger.exe.config.

The config file determines:

• Where the window appears
  • The size of the window
  • Which COM port to use for the SSM cable
  • Which six parameters to display

The window placement settings should be obvious. The COM port is "Mock ECU" by default, it should be changed to COM1, COM2, COM3, or whatever is appropriate for your system.

The parameters are a bit more involved. You'll need to open the logger.xml file (in the Configuration subdirectory) to find the ID and units for the parameters you want to display. Add those to the config file using the same format as the existing parameters.

I chose the same port that works for my ROMRAIDER/Enginuity but I wonder if that is not the problem actually !

Please let me know.

I just installed the latest RomRaider a couple days ago, have only used it laptop-style so far though. I need to take another look at the new RR and see what's changed before I post in that thread, but I will get around to it.

Since this one [TreeHugger] is not configurable at run-time, there's nothing on the screen except the numbers, and there's nothing to click to get it into the right mode, etc. The simplicity is kind of nice. The drawback is that it's kind of a pain to change anything, as you have to open two different XML files, hunt down parameters in logger.xml and copy their IDs to the config file.

I edited my last post so it will make more sense. :)

Dunno what that means but it sounds like it's having trouble parsing the SSM packets. What cable are you using? I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm using a Tactrix OpenPort 1.2 and I have never seen that error.

Do you mind attaching here the config file ? (or copy-paste?) I would like to know what the difference is. Thanks.

Sorry this took so long. This has some extra stuff in it - keys like x1,x2,x3 and so on just get ignored by the program but leaving them in the file like that makes it easier to undo changes.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
 <appSettings>
   <add key="Left" value="0"/>
   <add key="Top" value="0"/>
   <add key="Width" value="800"/>
   <add key="Height" value="600"/>
   <add key="Port" value="COM4"/>
   <add key="0" value="P58,AFR"/>
   <add key="1" value="P3,%"/><!-- comment="AFR Correction #1"-->
   <add key="2" value="P4,%"/><!-- comment="AFR Learning #1"-->
   <add key="x3" value="P10,degrees"/><!-- comment="total timing"-->
   <add key="3" value="E25,multiplier"/><!-- comment="IAM"-->
   <add key="4" value="P12,g/s"/><!-- comment="load"-->
   <add key="5" value="P25,psi"/><!-- comment="boost" -->
   <add key="x5" value="P39,V"/><!-- comment="TGV Sensor Voltage"-->
   <add key="x1" value="P79,F"/><!-- comment="EGT"-->
   <add key="x2" value="P25,psi"/><!-- comment="boost" -->
 </appSettings>
</configuration>

I'm still messing with this thing so don't put attach too much significance to those parameters. :) I just swapped my injectors so I wanted to watch the AFR learning. AFR Correction jumps around a lot, I don't think it's actually worth watching... far as I can tell, the "learning" value basically tracks the history of the "correction" values, like a low-pass-filtered view of the same data. I realized while I was out today that learning/correction #1 is only active at really low RPM ranges, like 2000 and under or something.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I tweaked the COM port correctly. I know because if I connect to RomRaider, and then try to connect to TreeHugger, TH will give me a different error saying that the com port is in use.

This is what I get when I open it up. I e-mailed the creator, but no response yet:

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3826/28172960mm8.jpg

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I'm guessing that E26 isn't supported by the 08 Subarus. I think all of the extended parameters were discovered by reverse-engineering the ROMs, and there are few ROMs from CAN cars yet.

Try replacing "E26,g/rev" with "P12,g/s" in the config file. They're both "load" so I'm not sure what the difference is. The E- version might have more resolution or something, but the P- version should work fine.

Hmm, I will have to try that. I didn't even think of checking the config file like that. I probably wont be able to test it till tomorrow but I will def let you know what happens :)

Thanks, NSFW

I'm guessing that E26 isn't supported by the 08 Subarus. I think all of the extended parameters were discovered by reverse-engineering the ROMs, and there are few ROMs from CAN cars yet.

Try replacing "E26,g/rev" with "P12,g/s" in the config file. They're both "load" so I'm not sure what the difference is. The E- version might have more resolution or something, but the P- version should work fine.

This software is using a copy of RomRaider's logger definitions (with permission). The e-parameter simply means extended parameter and is only defined for the ECUs that have been reverse-engineered because the address is potentially unique for each ECU and is not a standard indexed parameter. So, there's no reason why the software would be looking any extended parameter with a canbus ECU since they haven't been defined and its ECU id wouldn't be there (BTW E26 is "fine correction table offset"). I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the software, perhaps the definition file was modified accidently by someone or corrupted and parameter E26 definition is missing which it is noticing when parsing the XML.

What error are you getting?

Don't recall, but what value in the config file needs to be changed? Do I change the "mock ecu" value to "3" (my com port value)? Anything else need to be changed? Do I only change the TreeHugger.exe.config file?

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Actually, replace "E26,g/rev" with "P200,g/rev" instead.

My bad.

Hmm, I will try that. I replaced it with P12,g/s this morning, and the previous error I got didn't happen. The program looked like it loaded, but then it crashed completely. Some Windows error report about a value being out of range or something.

I hope that'll work ;)

Archived