LegacyGT.com

driving from PA to CALI!

sammytheturtle

hey guys and gals ! im driving from PA east coast ;o to CALI west coast and i was thinking about the gas .. in PA we get 93 octane where in cali they only have 91 at normal pumps the set up i have is

07 subaru legacy 2.5gt

-borla catback

-borla headers

- turboxs up

-cobb down (with no cats!)

-blitz intake

-blitz BOV

and a AWD dyno tune with cobb APv2

i was wondering if anyone has used the perloaded maps on the cobb AP for Stage2 91 octane with around the same mods..

im kinds scared that the car will run choppy like it did when i got all the mods without the AP ... after getting the AP i didnt use any perloaded maps i just jumped on the dyno and got the pro tune any input would really help thanks guys! :D

-sammytheturtle!

The Blitz intake will not work well with the Cobb stg 2 mapping. Plan on another dyno tuned, this CA91 piss water will require a retune. Get in contact with your tuner and have him tweak your map. Your timing will definately need to be softened up.

I drove from Boston to California not long ago and had a similar situation.

Here's my notes on what octane is available by state:

http://evangoss.wikispaces.com/Octane+by+State

I eventually loaded the Cobb 91 Octane Stage 2 ACN (arizona, cali, nevada) map after a tank of 91. I never felt or heard any knock when running 91 on the TDC tune, but wasn't going to take any chances. I used a bottle of Lucas octane booster.

At one point I was forced to gas up in utah somewhere (middle of nowhere really), and the best this station had was 90. I had an extra bottle of Lucas that I used with that tank.

"At one point I was forced to gas up in utah somewhere (middle of nowhere really), and the best this station had was 90. I had an extra bottle of Lucas that I used with that tank."

With another car that happened to me one time also. West of about Oklahoma the population thins out and all they had at one stop was 89. Keep a bottle of octane booster just in case.

Also, you don't say if you have ever been thru the southwest. If this is the first time, be aware that there is a whole lot of open land and it gets warm even this time of year.

What everyone else said... plus:

When I travelled a lot with long stretches, some unknown, and sometimes at times that included night, I had a habit of always keeping a fresh 2 1/2 gallon container of gasoline securely fastened in the trunk. More than once it actually made the difference, but it always made travel far more comfortable knowing it was there. I now have a new 2.5 gal container, for any trip that exceeds 3/4 of a tank in one stretch. You never know.

And of course a small tool kit, some duct tape, flares, and a good medical kit. Lots of water, food, candy, gum, Red Bull. And don't forget colder weather can occur anytime, anywhere.

Archived