LegacyGT.com

Does spoiler help or hurt highway fuel efficiency?

Also, having 2 "third" brake lights looks stupid.

Absolutely true -- which is why I took the one off the back deck in my car. Now I just have to figure out a dressy way to cover the holes. Ideas? (No, a little, bobble-head German Shepard isn't in the cards. :p ) HPH

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely true -- which is why I took the one off the back deck in my car. Now I just have to figure out a dressy way to cover the holes. Ideas? (No, a little, bobble-head German Shepard isn't in the cards. :p ) HPH

I had a 2002 Altima prior to the Legacy. With it there was a part available. It was a small piece of carpeted something (probably stiff cardboard). It had the same clips on the bottom of it that the 3rd brake light had. They had it available for all of the interior colors (I think there were 3). It was around $25. It didn't sit as flush as I would have liked but it looked a lot better than a brake light back there.

Of course Subaru doens't offer this but it would be pretty easy to make if you could match the interior. Just glue it in place.

Here is a pic of it in a maxima here:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/299191

I took the bulb out on my 05 and used black tape to cover the red lens. You didn't notice it after that.

I liked the spoiler on the 05 but grew to hate it. Now I wouldn't buy one that had it.

^Hmm. Good idea. I'll check it out.

Thing is, the deck back there has a sort of well, with clip and wire holes, for the middle brake light, so fashioning a cover is a bit of a trick. Maybe the light, unlit, is the best solution. HPH

• 2 weeks later...

ok i just tried taking my spoiler off...

as far as i can see theres only one bolt on each side and an assload of black adhesive shit...

does anybody know if a bd legasy has more than one bolt cuz i cant get this SOB off

Straight from SOA...

..man i'm bored at work.

Dude, that was hilarious....I was reading with interest til about 1/3 way thru then I was like hey this ain't right. :lol:

my dad gave me fiber glass tape for boats..

its water proof and thick so it can resist any rain...

i put it on the inside of the holes so you cant see it from the outside so hopefully that will work..

i had those plastic screws in there but the holes on the passenger side were to big due to the wiring for the brake light in the spoiler... :/

I personally like the way that the spoiler looks, although the design is just fine with out it.

Depending on your definition of "spoiler" versus "wing", both are meant to change the aerodynamics.

Spoilers are better at cupping the air coming over the car, pushing the rear down for better traction. This is

important in Nascar because the cars are going 180 mph on treadless tires with rear-wheel-drive. Spoilers on road cars don't do much until you start going 60+ mph in the rain, and only then with rear-wheel-drive cars. With AWD, it has some effect, but nothing as major.

A wing, that is, a spoiler with space in between the trunk and spoiler/wing, have a similar effect as spoilers, although not as pronounced (since air can flow above or below/through). Most wings are there to help stabilize the car at higher speeds, keep it from getting loose by helping the car go straight (a little like fins do on rockets). This effect on starts to be seen, really, at 70-80+ mph.

Long story short: spoilers and wings have an effect, but it's only for serious performance. Otherwise: you either think they look cool, or you don't. I'm leaving mine on.

Archived