LegacyGT.com

Tire Size Advice - 18x8 PFF7

sportwagon

OK... First of all I have read Keefe's sticky like ten billion times... I still can't decide on a size… ??? So please no flames for that, at least!

I have a ‘05 LGT LTD Sedan

My suspension consists of: JDM GT rev. A Struts and Pinks.

(Plus: Cusco F&R Sway bars, AVO end links, Cobb RSB Reinforcement Brackets, Energy Suspension Sway bar Bushings, Cusco F&R Lower Braces, STi Trailing Arms, Aluminum Front Control Arms and SuperPro Poly Offset Bushings... Oh, and a STi Front Strut bar)

The ride is stiff as you would expect it to be, and I completely love the responsiveness and solid feel that comes with it. There is definitely an increase in NVH, but at this point it is normal to me... I've even got my fiancé completely desensitized to it!

I've always had 17x7 rims... Stockers, Prodrive P1's, P7's and BBS RK's...

I just sold my summer wheels (17x7 BBS RK-225/40/17 RE01R's) and I broke out of my trend and picked up some 18x8 PFF7s...

On a side note... It is amazing how light they are!

Now I have three sets of Prodrive rims!

Bright Flitter 18x8 Prodrive PFF7's w/ no tires

Bright Silver 17x7 Prodrive P1's w/ 225/40/17 Nokian WR G2's

Anthracite 17x7 Prodrive P7's w/ tires...

But, the sad thing is I am driving around on the curbed up P7's with... I'm kind of embarrassed to say... Stock RE02's Yes... I don't have my stock rims/tires anymore (I traded them to a friend for a mountain bike) but I acquired a FREE set of Stock RE02's from a local LGT member so I would have something to roll around on while I'm figuring out what tires to get for my 18x8 PFF7's...

Now I am not in a huge rush to get tires for the 18x8 PFF7's because...

1) I am still deciding on whether I am going to have them professionally sandblasted/filled and painted or if am going to try to do it myself, or not do it at all and leave them the color they are with the minor blemishes. I like the color... it is kind of a mix of Silver and Anthracite! If they get painted it will be done in a deep shade of bronze.

2) The other reason is because I'm not entirely financially ready to buy tires... at least new ones that is! I am getting married in October and I've not yet purchased a wedding band for my fiancé... She has not YET picked one out, for longer than a week, before she changes her mind and picks something else! So, I cannot spend any $$$ on tires or professional painting services, etc. until I sell something, or she picks out at ring. I am lucky I even was able to disguise the purchase of the rims so far!

If I were to figure out a tire size... I would most likely try to sell/trade the P7's to compensate for the tire purchase... But I cannot for the life of me pick a tire size for these 18x8 rims! ????

I live in Boston so I need some serious pothole protection! I've got a lowered car so I can't go with too big of a tire... But the reason I went with a larger, wider rim was so I could get a reasonably wider tire! I don't want to just settle for the standard 225/40/18... unless I can get a good used set cheap! Anyone?

One last note: I just had 1/2" spacers installed on the rear strut mounts to give the car a little bit of a lift in the back (Thanks to Paranoid Fabrications and Fastrack Automotive)... My Ass was very saggy before, due to the stance of the car, the even lowering of the pinks... and about 250-300 lbs. of stereo equipment in the trunk. The "butt shims" made about a "fingers" difference in rear wheel well clearance department! I had to have longer studs installed, and it is not an entirely ideal solution, but I think it is better than multiple spring seats... and that extra clearance could be useful when it comes to getting new tires for the 18x8 PFF7's...

Thanks!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have pinks + ohlins and your exact same rims PFF7s 18x8. I have 235/40/18 Bridgestone RE01R tires and they fit perfectly. Nice/smooth ride, no rubbing at all, and insane grip.

225/45/18 won't fit. Only other size that should fit is 245/35/18

summary: get 235/40/18 tires

I have pinks + ohlins and your exact same rims PFF7s 18x8. I have 235/40/18 Bridgestone RE01R tires and they fit perfectly. Nice/smooth ride, no rubbing at all, and insane grip.

225/45/18 won't fit. Only other size that should fit is 245/35/18

Really? 225/45/18 Won't Fit! Yikes! I'm Glad I posted up before I bought anything!

Thanks!

Oh, BTW... Those RE01R's were incredible; the best grip I could have ever imagined... and that was with 225/45/17... I can only imagine how grippy the wider 235 tires would have been!

based on the research I have done, 225/45/18 (101mm sidewall) is so tall that it will rub the actual shock absorber in the front all the time - so yeah, forget that size.

235/40/18 is perfect size in every way = 94mm sidewall

245/35/18 is 86mm sidewall and slightly wider

My first set of tires on my pff7s were 225/40/18. I have 235/40/18s mounted on one set and 245/35/18 on the ones on my car now.

*EDIT* they were 225/40/18

I would recommend 245/35/18. The ride I have on those tires seem a lot smoother than the other two sizes. Smooth quiet ride and it absorbs the bumps better than 235/40 and 225/45. I have no tire rubbing.

One thing you may want to look out for is rubbing from the wheel itself onto the plastic splash guard on the rear. My wheels, not tires, started rubbing on that back splash guard after I had them rebalanced. They put lip weights on the inside of the lip along with sticky weights. I just trimmed part of the splash guard away and it was all fixed. It wouldn't have been a problem if my car wasn't lowered. I'm running STi pinks on stock struts.

actually 245/35 should give you worse ride because sidewall is smaller than 235/40. Then again, stock struts are aweful and super soft, so I can't really compare.

also all tires are different. 235/40 is actually different width/height depending on the brand/model of the tire. Some tires are as much as 1" wider than others within the same size #.

I'm also interested in finding a good tire that has a protruding lip to protect the rim!

In the past, I've pretty much always had tires that came with the "Rim Gaurd" protection...

Good Year Eagle F1 GS D3

Bridgestone Potenza RE01R

Nokian WR

Nokian WR G2

Sutimoto HTR Z II

I'm not sure about the Toyo Proxes... They might have had it, too!

It's hard to find out if new tires have the rim gaurd... It is not listed as an option on the Tirerack website... if it is mentioned, it is usually burried in the manufacturer's description somewhere, and even then sometimes they don't mention it!

Keefe had mentioned in a thread somewhere on this forum that you can just get a wider-sized tire and it will do the same thing as a lip gaurd, but that seems like it would have it's drawbacks! Mostly because of what azca was saying about how different tire manufacturers have such discrepancy in their actual sizes... as much as an inch!!! Plus, I think a wider tire just for rim protection would be pointless. Wouldn't the tire not perform as well as it should?

that's too narrow for an 8" wheel; 235-245 is the range you want to be in

225/40-18 fits just fine on 18x8

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/0505200034.JPG

with PFF7s, you have to park really carefully, otherwise you will scratch the middle of the rim because the part where lugnuts are sticks out the most.

Yeah... The P7's are like that too... when they are off the car you have to be careful not to let them lie face down or you'll scratch them up that way too!

Yeah... The P7's are like that too... when they are off the car you have to be careful not to let them lie face down or you'll scratch them up that way too!

When I was taking down my summer set out of the garage my dad was helping move them out onto the driveway. I yelled out at him "NOOO GRAB THE WHEEL!!!!!" as he let one and two roll down 10 feet of driveway onto the grass. One was wobbling and about to hit the ground as I pushed my dad out of the way and jumped at the wheel. I saved it just as it started to slow and do it's circles.

It was like something you would see on the tv, seriously.

Dad started to yell at me for yelling at him and pushing him until I explained and showed him why.:lol:

of course it does except you are not using the full width of the wheel and stretching the tire more because it's not wide enough

225/40-18 fits just fine on 18x8

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/0505200034.JPG

how are you guys running 18x8's? i bought a 18.8.5 wheel w/ 225/40r/18 tire and the tires are banging the wheel wells. i drove 5 blocks from the shop and had to turn around and remount the stockers. i also lost a rubber molding from inside the rear driverside wheel well.

how are you guys running 18x8's? i bought a 18.8.5 wheel w/ 225/40r/18 tire and the tires are banging the wheel wells. i drove 5 blocks from the shop and had to turn around and remount the stockers. i also lost a rubber molding from inside the rear driverside wheel well.

It's all in the backspacing of the wheel. You just can't mount any wheel to a car. I'm sure you could mount a 18x8.5 with the propper backspacing.

I have 18x8 +43 GC07s with Continental Contiextremes in 235/40/18 and they JUST rub with the weather stripping off in the rear. I dialled in some camber and now its just perfect. Running RevA + Pinks as well. The size of the front wheels (along with the +43 offset) will cause the front to rub when going over weird undulations but i'm not too worried as that only happens maybe 0.5% of the time.

Did you buy the tires from Edge Racing? They seemed to have the best prices on those tires.

Nice. I have the Toyo T1Rs in 245/35/18s. They seem to be pretty nice tires except for the fact that they are putting out noticeably more road noise than they were when new. I have about 12,000 miles on them right now.

Though the road noise might be from the fact that I drove over a freaking median in a parking garage!! We shall see... it'll be going in for an alignment and wheel/tire balancing sometime soon. The median is the same exact color as the road surface, with the lighting it actuallly looked like a speed bump, when I drove over it... it felt like it did a number on my whole car. It bent my fumoto valve :-(

Did you buy the tires from Edge Racing? They seemed to have the best prices on those tires.

Nice. I have the Toyo T1Rs in 245/35/18s. They seem to be pretty nice tires except for the fact that they are putting out noticeably more road noise than they were when new. I have about 12,000 miles on them right now.

Though the road noise might be from the fact that I drove over a freaking median in a parking garage!! We shall see... it'll be going in for an alignment and wheel/tire balancing sometime soon. The median is the same exact color as the road surface, with the lighting it actuallly looked like a speed bump, when I drove over it... it felt like it did a number on my whole car. It bent my fumoto valve :-(

That REALLY sucks about your Fumoto valve! I have one and I think it is the greatest invention ever! I actually have an extra one in my garage, too!

I looked at edge racing! But I ended up buying them from... onlinetires.com

I totally wasn't sure what I wanted to buy... I had been looking at tires for way too long and I said F**k it an djust bought some 235/40/18 T1R's for $145 a piece!

that's too narrow for an 8" wheel; 235-245 is the range you want to be in

in my experience it does depend on the tire itself (some are built wider or narrower than others) but in general for the tire to be "square" with the rim

7" = 205

7.5" = 215

8" = 225

8.5" = 235

9" = 245

there's a reason we were issued 215's on a 7" rim =P

(the RE92 is actually built narrow for a 215 series tire)

Archived