LegacyGT.com

convert 2.5i -> E85 / etanol ?

As topic has someone convert a legacy to E85 instead of ordinary gas??

I have found one tuner that says he can do it, he just change with ECU-TEK and than the car is ready for E85. Unfortenly it´s not able to do any kind of flexfuel program that makes it possible to go with E85, normal gasoline or thes two mixed.

I want to hear your oppinion about it, if you know stuff that I have to change (that will crash) and most of all if you know anybody that have done this, and how it worked out...?

The gas here is pretty expensive now over 8 $ (and thats cheap compered to Germany) for a gallon compared to E85 who is 4.8 $ for a gallon, so even if it need more E85/km it will be cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

E85 would require a lot of work for support.

Ethanol is very corrosive to rubber engine seals and tubing, meaning that even if the ECU supported it, you'd need to replace a lot of parts to prevent them from getting eaten away by the E85. There is a reason that E85 is cheap, and that is that is that it is either taxed less. E85 is always more expensive to produce. It is also more expensive to transport, as you cannot pipeline it as you can gasoline.

If you get your car tuned to run e85 you'll be good to to. As long as your fuel system is modern (ie, not from the 1980s) you are good to go.

These tunes are not 'smart' tunes, meaning that you'll have to run either unleaded gasoline or e85. Mixing them may be ok, but I won't do that in my car. I got an E85 tune on a dyno.

that it is very corrosive to rubber is just a myth, in europe they have tested E85 and regular gas and often regular gas is more corrosive than E85...

Anyway it seems to be more problem in the future, the profit I would make I probably have to pay in another line... E85 may be more expensive to produce, but it´s way cheaper to buy for me, thats what I care about

thanks for ypur reply

Archived