LegacyGT.com

Mismatched Tire Sizes - How big a problem?

ExRex

I put on my winter tires over the weekend - 225/45/17 Dunlop WinterSport M2s. Early this morning while leaving for work, I discovered that the left rear is flat. I needed to get to work so I quickly swapped my stock wheels - 215/45/17 RE92s - back on to the rear. I did both of the rears because I didn't want two different sizes on one end of the car. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do both front and rear. So I'm wondering who much of a problem this might be. The difference in size between the fronts and the rears is only 1.45%, but I don't know whether this difference is enough to cause problems with the center differential. Any thoughts?

its a problem--I had a flat on one of my tires once and asked subaru if I needed to replace all 4 because I had heard that--only had like 4k miles on the tires--and they recommended that all 4 be replaced because a difference of just a couple thousandths of an inch could screw up the differentials--just going by what they said

As noted by everyone, its best to minimize travel with mismatched tires. I think you did the right thing though by keeping tires on the same axel the same size. Looking at the spec sheets for the two tires you mentioned the stockers are 847 rev/mile while the m2's are 831. This would equate to a mere 16 rpm difference front to back if you were traveling 60 mph. This shouldn't wreak too much havoc on your center diff I wouldn't think (it takes 100's of rpm to engage it fully). The slower you travel the less stress as well (30 mph would be 8 rpm differential).
.o0O0o.

So I'm guessing that using the spare in the even on a flat tire would be really bad. Hmm, I also have a set of summer Rota's I took off my WRX. But the rear has like 10000 miles on them while the fronts have only 1000. I guess i should get all 4 new before mounting them on the LGT.

Get the flat repaired immediately. As long as the hole is in the center tread portion and not on the sidewall, you can plug it and carry a can of (yuk!) Fix-A-Flat with you.

I've plugged many a tire and have had no problems.

I carry a plug kit, portable battery operated (12V) air compressor, and Fix-A-Flat with me in my Miata (gave up the mini-spare.)

EVERYONE should at least carry the Fix-A-Flat and an air compressor in the car.

A plug kit is a good thing to have!

just repair/replace the tire as soon as possible. Last thing you want to do is fix or repair a differential. You can survive it a bit as I blew a flat on my WRX and had to use the spare from NY back to MD (200+ mile drive) and took my sweet slow time going home. Once I got home, I swapped out my other rims with all matching tires and replaced the flat the next day. The car ran like a champ.

Keefe

Keefe

its a problem--I had a flat on one of my tires once and asked subaru if I needed to replace all 4 because I had heard that--only had like 4k miles on the tires--and they recommended that all 4 be replaced because a difference of just a couple thousandths of an inch could screw up the differentials--just going by what they said

FYI, I just had a flat and the tire needed to be replaced @ 3,750 miles. The dealer acted like it was no big deal. I asked them repeatedly, but they said only the one tire would need to be replaced. I figure if they're wrong, they'll have to pay for the repairs to the drivetrain.

Yeah, it shouldn't do any damage at all. I don't think the car is THAT sensitive regarding tire wear. I have some rota tarmac IIs with yokohama avs es100 rubber. the rear has about 10000 miles while the front has 1000. this was on my WRX for months with no problems. I bought two new ones to replace the rears and will keep the fronts to put on the LGT.

your differentials get more stressed from driving around in circles all day. The center diff will allow some play as your front and rear wheels turn at diffrent rates when turning anyway. A 16 rpm per mile diffrence can be reproduced by driving around a tight oval track.

But get them fixed ASAP. But I wouldent sweat too much. The rate at which the differetnal is differentiating is well within normal operating parameters.

In case of a flat, do we need to disable the AWD? I have a 5mt

You cannot "disable" the AWD. It's integral to the whole drivetrain, and there's no switch or anything.

Definitely read your owner's manual, where you will learn about the AWD system, towing, and flat tire procedures.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

• 5 years later...

Archived