LegacyGT.com

clutch/tranny problems 5MT

mjp0212

last night i started having a little trouble shifting into 2nd. it will shift into gear fairly easy, but unless i put some force into it, it will pop out of 2nd into neutral. this only occurs w/ 2nd gear and there is no slipping at all in any other gears, so i am not really sure what the problem could be. if the clutch was going im assuming it would be slipping in other gears also? been stg2 for a few months now, and this is the first problem i have had with it. any ideas?

edit: i have the cobb sts, shifter bushing, and mount. checked the mount and it is tight, nothing seems too worn on the bushings. thought maybe the shifter maybe was hitting something(had that problem at first) but it isnt. i even removed the foam/rubber surround to see if that was maybe the problem, and nothing.

stage 2

check the shifter for clearance again, through the gears and make sure the bolt that connects the shifter to everything else (the fork thing) is tight.

the tightness of that bolt on my kartboy popped out of 2nd a few times and i put off fixing it until i got stuck in 1st on the road.

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

like 36,400ish. i will check that stuff again later, hopefully it is just something simple.

When was the last tranny service (hopefully somewhere around its 30K normal service interval). If it wasn't done, or you're not sure if it was done, drain the fluid and refill it with straight 75W/90W GL-5 gear oil. If you can put Subaru's Extra-S gear oil in it, even better.

It really sounds like someone has put a friction-modifier type gearl oil in your tranny and that's causing the synchros to lose their synchronicity. But, it could also be something more serious, like a bent shifter fork as well, so that's why I recommend starting with the adjustments and the fluid change out first, before you starting looking internally.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

last service was the 30k, so it would have been then. i will try out those things this weekend and keep you all posted. it got even worse last night, im practically just driving w/o 2nd gear now :rolleyes:
stage 2

Archived