LegacyGT.com

Question re: difficulty with glovebox latching below 5 f

Triple Digits

I have difficulty getting my glovebox to latch closed below 5 f. Not when it's warmer or after the interior comes up to temperature - only when it's bone cold (and I'm ten minutes late for work). I was kinda thinking it's just whatever grease they've got in the latch not liking the cold and that maybe it would take care of itself in time - anybody else? Is this a problem or is it self-resolving?

don't know if you know about this but where you place your hand when shutting it makes some difference it seems - when on the left edge of the door, it sometimes will not close easily. when you close it pushing the door shut from the center, it latches every time.... give it a try....
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

I have the same problem. The dealer did tell me to close it from the center. I took it to the dealer to have them adjust the latch, they told me there is no adjustments that can be made, just to try closing it from the center.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah in freezing assed canada here same thing. And I thought it was b/c my car was a demo...But every time wouldnt shut no matter where I pushed then all of a sudden a little while later it would shut. Must be the temp, but what a pain in the ass........

Anyone try diff grease or whatever to fix it?

• 2 years later...

Last year my glovebox door rattled when it was cold and sometimes I had problems closing it too. So, I took the door out and ended up taking it apart to see what the rattling problem was. Inside the door I found this big metal weight (dollar bill added for size reference - no, that was not in my glove box door): http://home.roadrunner.com/~dametzg/bigmetalthing.jpg

There wasn't anything really holding it down in there either other than some strips of foam padding, so I'm guessing that's what was causing the rattling. I guess Subaru put it in there so the door doesn't feel like the cheap piece of plastic it really is. I left the weight out and put the door back in the car. The rattling is now gone and there are no problems with closing the door. The only drawback is that you have to pull slightly to open the door rather than it falling open by itself. I think this piece weighs too much for the door latch to handle while closing and that's why sometimes the door will just bounce back open instead.

Archived