LegacyGT.com

Where is the 2005 Legacy built?

eurospec

That's right, come one, come all!

This may keep everyone tied over until then:

http://www.subaru-sia.com/slide/main_menu.html

By the way, if you go to press releases, you can see weekly production at SIA. If you look at December's last one, you can see the yearly total for Legacy/Baja. No breakdown of engines, though.

Rob

The engine and drivetrain are built in Japan. Some of the other parts may be sourced in the US, however.

Ken

Only the H6 and Turbo H4 are built in Japan.

the 2.5 Engine has been built at SIA for some time now. I know that there is a good deal of domestic content, as my company supplies SIA. In my area in KY comes the Wheels, Seat Frames, hinges, ECUs (passed thru from Japan). Windshields from Tennessee. We used to make the A/C hose assemblies from 1989 - 2004 MY's but lost that business for the new one :(

One thing to keep in mind is that many companies, like where I am employed, have parent companies in Japan that already supply FHI with parts, and often times, we just purchase the same components from our parent, then fabricate in the US. Some Other US suppliers that I know actually "pass-thru" complete assemblies and subassemblies from Japan.

FHI keeps a firm design control over SIA. Any and all design requests must go through Japan. Maybe that puts some minds at ease here, from what I've read in several posts.

Rob

Hey neato! That is the Isuzu/Subaru plant they built while I was going to school at Purdue U back in the 1980s. :) Never thought I'd buy a car that was built there....
Rest Assured that they have top notch quality. Nice place. From what I've dealt with, great workforce. They take pride in their product.

Rob

The fact is many American factories do a better job than their foriegn counterparts. I know the BMW plant in So Carolina competes with the others and wins.

The problem with American cars isn't the blue collars in the plants, its the suits in Detroit and New York cutting corners and trying to increase profits with cheap design. They think they are so smart, yet they haven't learned much from 30 years of declining sales. They still think the way to beat Honda is to be cheaper than Honda, when buyers consistantly choose better over cheaper. The day GM builds a better car than the Accord (which it is fully capable of doing) is the day that company's fortunes will start to turn around. Wall Street would probably hammer their stock for it, though.

I get a kick out of seeing the disparaged American workers kicking Detroit butts building better Subies in Indiana, and Hondas in Ohio. If Factory workers can't make a great car out of the parts GM sends them, its time to stop blaming the union guys, and look at the brains, or lack there of, giving them crap like Cavaliers to build.

Isn't it amazing that GM owns 20% of Subaru, but can't build a Cadilac with an interior as nice and tight as a $25k Legacy GT?

Archived