LegacyGT.com

RE050A rolling over...

dr_sharp

Has anyone had any issues with the 18" re050a's rolling over in turns? Maybe that's not the best description but basically the sidewall bends in a turn distorting the tires profile. This happened to me for the first time today. Not sure if it was just the rare circumstance or if its a sign of wear. I have maybe 4or5 /32 all around left on them after 24k miles. I know these tires very well... its very easy to tell when they're going to slip and the only unknown variable is the quality of pavement that you're on. I have had my fun on occasion and can easily bring the backend out in 1st and in 2nd on the right pavement. Today, however, there was no slip, just rollover.

Thoughts? Experiences?

lol

I don't have any experience with the RE050A, but virtually any street tire will roll over if you get enough lateral grip against the tread. I will assume you saw some wear riding up the sidewall as evidence of the roll over. To combat this you need to raise your tire pressure.

I was able to keep my Yoko A82's from rolling over onto the sidewalls on the road course last week by running enough air pressure. Try bumping up your air 2 psi at a time and go from there. Good luck.

For reference I was running my Yoko's @ 44psi hot in front and 40psi hot in rear at the track. On the street I run 38psi hot on all 4 corners. Remember this is on a 205/50R17.

I would think that with a wider wheel the tire would be more prone to rollover. Since the contact area is larger there would be more grip resulting in higher lateral forces seen by the sidewalls. But I'll bump up the pressure for sure. Thanks for the info, all.
lol

Late to the game here but, some tires grip more when their tread blocks are worn down - less flex in them (some it's more compound related).

Also, I to have noticed. Really hard not to if ya drive aggressive enough. Great street tire if only the sidewalls were stiffer. In fact I only have 15k in mine and cannot stand the squishy sidwalls. I can't wait to replace them.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Late to the game here but, some tires grip more when their tread blocks are worn down - less flex in them (some it's more compound related).

Also, I to have noticed. Really hard not to if ya drive aggressive enough. Great street tire if only the sidewalls were stiffer. In fact I only have 15k in mine and cannot stand the squishy sidwalls. I can't wait to replace them.

What are you gonna replace 'em with? The pole position version? I'll probably replace mine at 30k.

lol

For reference I was running my Yoko's @ 44psi hot in front and 40psi hot in rear at the track. On the street I run 38psi hot on all 4 corners. Remember this is on a 205/50R17.

try running in the 40's COLD

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I would think that with a wider wheel the tire would be more prone to rollover. Since the contact area is larger there would be more grip resulting in higher lateral forces seen by the sidewalls. But I'll bump up the pressure for sure. Thanks for the info, all.

counteracted by the fact that the sidewalls are more square or even stretched a bit on the wheel - that makes them stiffer. easier to make a curve ........ curve more than it is to make a straight line curve is as simple as I can put it.

^^ Agree, but there is a point where the wider wheel becomes a disadvantage, relative to the width of the tire. Tire pressures will give you 3/10s of what you're looking for, the other 7/10s will come from the new tires.;)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

dr_sharp,

I'll be trying the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec.

Great tire from those over on IWSTI.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

I was looking at the Direzza as well. I'm looking to go 225 and have been looking around.

Potenza RE-01R

Potenza RE050A Pole Pos

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Yoko Advan Sport

Yoko Advan Neova AD07

Dunlop Direzza Z1

These are the ones I'm considering.

dr_sharp, I think....THINK....I've encountered the "roll" once or twice....but I'm starting to get them to squeal going around corners.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived