LegacyGT.com

Canada loses the GT Sedan and Wagon

Subaru Canada are a bunch of morons...

I hope the new redesigned 2010 model line up will be better than what they are offering in 2009. There's no legacy wagon to be had with a turbo model, They even scrapped the Outback XT. So you have the turbo spec B and H6 3 R in the sedan version only.

Want a Wagon that has an engine? Only the Outback 3.0 R remains.....pathetic....

I said that before and I'll say that again - 535xi. Plus get a membership at BMWCCA to get a discount on used one.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

these are the breaks of living in Canadull, less population means less selection for almost all products, not to mention stupid prices

We live next to a huge market in the US. It doesn't really cost all that much more to sell here in Canada. Marketing costs are low (Subaru barely advertises) and we are already exposed to tons of US generated advertising through their media. The cars are made in the US and when crossing the board they magically cost 50% more?

I complained about the loss of one of Subaru's best models in the LGT, and I complained about their prices, for all the good it will do. I did put in my VIN and mentioned the dealership where I bought my car.

BTW, I arranged bank financing and took advantage of the $8,000 cash rebate. Otherwise I likely would have bought an Outback XT from the states.

I am very happy with my Subaru and am very lucky, it seems, to have an 08 Legacy GT Wagon. If it is very rare it is OK by me, but I'd prefer there to be choice in the market.

Here is my reply from SCI...their spin doctors are just as good as the ones in Ottawa.

Mr. Hall,

Thank you for contacting us with regards to the Legacy 2.5GT wagon model.

Please be advised that we have only discontinued the 2.5GT Wagon and Sedan from the line-up. However, the Legacy 2.5GT spec. B sedan continues to be available for the 2009 model year. Our Legacy 2.5GT spec.B is also available in 6 speed MT (manual transmission) only. The other choice is a Legacy 3.0R or Outback 3.0R that offers a 5-speed automatic transmission only.

A complete market review was undertaken before this decision was made. It was not one we took lightly. There are always new models being introduced and some models being discontinued. After reviewing our entire Subaru model line-up, we feel that the decision to discontinue the Legacy 2.5GT and Outback 2.5XT was appropriate at this time.

As the Canadian distributor of Subaru vehicles, we are always grateful for any opinions and suggestions from our valued customers, such as yours. Please rest assured that your comments have been noted. We have taken the liberty of forwarding your email to our Product Planning departments for their review.

In addition, the Forester 2.5XT model enjoys the same engine as in the Legacy 2.5GT and many of the attributes of Outback 2.5XT cross-over. We sincerely hope that you will continue to own and enjoy Subarus and strongly urge you to visit one of our Subaru dealers and experience the all-new 2009 Forester.

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your view point on this matter.

Here is my reply from SCI...their spin doctors are just as good as the ones in Ottawa.

Mr. Hall,

Please be advised that we have only discontinued the 2.5GT Wagon and Sedan from the line-up. However, the Legacy 2.5GT spec. B sedan continues to be available for the 2009 model year. Our Legacy 2.5GT spec.B is also available in 6 speed MT (manual transmission) only. The other choice is a Legacy 3.0R or Outback 3.0R that offers a 5-speed automatic transmission only.

A complete market review was undertaken before this decision was made. It was not one we took lightly. There are always new models being introduced and some models being discontinued. After reviewing our entire Subaru model line-up, we feel that the decision to discontinue the Legacy 2.5GT and Outback 2.5XT was appropriate at this time.

As the Canadian distributor of Subaru vehicles, we are always grateful for any opinions and suggestions from our valued customers, such as yours. Please rest assured that your comments have been noted. We have taken the liberty of forwarding your email to our Product Planning departments for their review.

In addition, the Forester 2.5XT model enjoys the same engine as in the Legacy 2.5GT and many of the attributes of Outback 2.5XT cross-over. We sincerely hope that you will continue to own and enjoy Subarus and strongly urge you to visit one of our Subaru dealers and experience the all-new 2009 Forester.

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your view point on this matter.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is my response from Subaru Canada:

Mr. Lalonde,

With regards to the difference in pricing between the US and Canada, Subaru Canada has introduced a number of competitive incentives in response to the rapid rise of the Canadian dollar and we continue to pay close attention to this issue.

Fluctuating currency exchange rates are, however, only one of many reasons it is unlikely that identical prices for vehicles in the United States and Canada will ever be achieved. The population of the United States is approximately 10 times that of Canada - which translates into significant economies of scale. In addition to competitive influences, vehicle specifications and features differ from market to market and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher than in the United States. Among other things, Canada faces higher transportation costs (partly due to fewer points of entry for vehicles) and higher marketing costs (partly due to communicating in two official languages). The same forces are at work in many other Canadian retail sectors.

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your view point on this matter and on behalf of everyone here, I want to wish you many years of safe and pleasurable driving.

Best regards,

Rosanne Kernerman

Consumer Support Representative

After Sales

1-800-894-4212

www.subaru.ca

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This email and any attachment(s) are private, confidential, subject to copyright, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately by return email, delete this email, and do not copy, use or disclose it. Any such copying, use or disclosure may be a violation of Subaru Canada's legal rights. Emails might contain viruses, so please check any attachments for viruses before opening them. Because email may not be secure, please let me know if you do not wish to be contacted by unencrypted email in the future. This email is governed by Subaru Canada's privacy policy, which is available at www.subaru.ca. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ce courrier électronique et toutes les pièces qui y sont jointes sont privés, confidentiels, sujets au droit d'auteur et pourraient être privilégiés. Si vous avez reçu ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez s'il vous plaît m'en aviser immédiatement par retour de courrier, supprimer ce courrier électronique, sans copier, utiliser ou divulguer son contenu. Une telle copie, utilisation ou divulgation pourrait constituer une violation des droits de Subaru Canada. Les courriers électroniques pourraient contenir des virus, alors veuillez vérifier toutes les pièces jointes avant de les ouvrir. Parce que le courrier électronique pourrait ne pas être sécurisé, veuillez m'indiquer si à l'avenir vous ne souhaitez pas être contacté par courrier électronique qui n'est pas chiffré. Ce courrier électronique est régi par la politique de confidentialité de Subaru Canada qui est disponible au site www.subaru.ca. Merci de votre coopération.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:25 PM

To: contact@mysubaru.ca

Subject: Other

This email will Reply To: lalonde (at) gmail.com

Mr David Lalonde

Email: lalonde (at) gmail.com

Phone: xxx xxx xxxx

Address: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxxxx,Vancouver,British Columbia,V6N 3S9

current Subaru Owner: Yes

Vin: 4S3BP6762xxxxxxxx

Comments: I'm just wondering why Subaru is getting rid of an amazing car like the Legacy GT in sedan and wagon. I bought an 08 Legacy GT Wagon (from Wolfe Subaru) and I love it! It is the perfect mix of luxury, performance and utility. You really don't know how to sell your cars if you can't sell these.

Another complaint I have is in regard to pricing. The Canadian dollar has appreciated greatly against the US dollar in the last couple years, yet your pricing continues to be totally out of step with this change. The Legacy line is made in the US, so your prices should be gradually dropping as a result, not staying high like they are for the 2009 model line-up. No wonder you have to block imports from the US (whatever happened to free trade). This sounds like unfair price fixing!

permission for Subaru Canada : Yes

They don't get it....having just come from the cottage...the hills were tough on the 2.5i and some help from a turbo would have been great!

And how much sense does it take to put a 6 in a sedan and a wagon which is going to haul more only has a 2.5i....their market research has lead them a stray.

It seems Subaru has decided to play the "green" card in Canada. Case in point: less emphasis on turbo engines and PZEV emission certification on the 2.5i model, even if it's not required by government regulation.

In the US states where PZEV is mandatory, there is a 200$ surchare for this privilege. Subaru Canada would have been better to work on reducing the now-absurd US-Canada price gap instead of adding the costlier PZEV certification.

In fact, as a potential 2.5i buyer, PZEV worries me a bit, as I fear engine driveability might be negatively affected.

I read somewhere that all the 2.5i in Canada from 2008 and 2009 are ULTRA LOW EMISSION ENGINES...wish I could remember

If they are pushing the Green Value...it is because I think some of the provinces have jumped on board with the California standards for car emissions...and I think Quebec is one of them...but don't quote me.

I read somewhere that all the 2.5i in Canada from 2008 and 2009 are ULTRA LOW EMISSION ENGINES...wish I could remember

If they are pushing the Green Value...it is because I think some of the provinces have jumped on board with the California standards for car emissions...and I think Quebec is one of them...but don't quote me.

AFAIK, the PZEV (partial zero emission vehicle) 2.5i engine is available from 2009 MY. Ultra Low Emission and Super Ultra Low Emission are less stingent than PZEV. Here is a short primer;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_emission_standard

As for Quebec, where I live, they have announced their wish to apply California emissions standards, but practically, they can't do it as the canadian standards are set at the federal level.

i guess the only other direction one can go is to complain to the dealers the next time the vehicles goes in for service or find out who the Area Repes are and send them some letters. Pointing out that we were not satisfied with SCI response.

BTW Sebbery like the straw umbrela added to your avitar...is that to keep all the crap from SCI from hitting you, (grin).

Archived