LegacyGT.com

Is it ok to shift in an automatic?

tmoney2514

Is it bad for my automatic transmission if I downshift from D4 to D3 to 2 to 1 when coming to a stop? I don't really have any reason to do this (except for then I dont always have to use my brakes) but it just gets boring driving an automatic sometimes. Anyways, is this ok to do, or will I be damaging my car?

I shift mine all the time. On steep hills shift I down to assist brakeing as much as possible. On the streets I just like to do it :). After all, that's what one does on a bike, right?

And don't worry about over revving it, at reasonable speeds dropping it a gear won't harm a thing. Being stupid and selecting too low a gear.... well, stupid is stupid, eh.

I say, have fun and maximize your driving experience the way it suits YOU. Our LGTs have fine intelligent, TCU controlled, transmissions that allow that. Do eeet :). I have NEVER heard of wearing out an automatic transmission by, again, intelligent and reasonable downshifting.

^^^ By saying D4, D3, 2,1 I'm assuming the OP doesn't have the 5EAT manumatic

With the Manumatic you can shift up and down all you want....it's designed for it.

With ANY automatic, you can't downshift too far. It won't let it go down a gear unless the revs are ok.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^^^ By saying D4, D3, 2,1 I'm assuming the OP doesn't have the 5EAT manumatic

With the Manumatic you can shift up and down all you want....it's designed for it.

With ANY automatic, you can't downshift too far. It won't let it go down a gear unless the revs are ok.

I didn't catch that, wiener, good eyes. Thought you'd lost it :).

We really need to know the OP's car. Subaru has used shiftable ATs in its cars (both the 4EAT and the 5EAT) for several years now.

But my take on "Is it OK to shift an automatic?" is to say "NO. Leave it in park and let someone else drive." HPH

It is okay to brake and shift, shift only at the correct rpm and speed with the auto in sport shift mode. I'm talking about 4 to 3 and 3 to 2, and I've done this particularly if/when in tight traffic and/or downhill/uphill situations (not that we have many of these in my area), and also when decelerating to a stop light or sign. However, I do not shift from 2 to 1......

Archived