LegacyGT.com

08 LGT: Blowing white smoke on cold start...

this thread has me paranoid, i made a video of my new exhaust and it's blowing some white smoke... this was taken a few months ago and it was pretty cool outside. i checked my coolant and the level is ok. someone tell me my car is ok.

Define "cool"... Near freezing or???

Be aware that one component in the exhaust from the engine is water vapor so white smoke is OK under certain conditions. In the video it seems to be condensation.

Better is to do the "smoke test" after you have driven the car to warm up the engine. At a cold start the exhaust fumes are at a relatively low temperature at the outlet which means that condensation smoke is more likely to occur.

But it's never wrong to keep an eye on the water and oil levels! ;)

453747.png

Define "cool"... Near freezing or???

Be aware that one component in the exhaust from the engine is water vapor so white smoke is OK under certain conditions. In the video it seems to be condensation.

Better is to do the "smoke test" after you have driven the car to warm up the engine. At a cold start the exhaust fumes are at a relatively low temperature at the outlet which means that condensation smoke is more likely to occur.

But it's never wrong to keep an eye on the water and oil levels! ;)

Cool as in ~50 degrees...

OK, 10 Celsius then... What about humidity? At that temperature you shouldn't get condensation smoke unless the humidity is really high. (like over 90%)

A few quick checks can be done to check if you have a more serious problem.

Smell the exhaust fumes - when the engine is warm it shall be close to odorless. A sweet smell is coolant.

Open the oil filler cap and check how much it's breathing. There will be some breathing, so it's hard to decide right away if there is a problem.

Open the coolant cap (COLD ENGINE) and start the engine. No bubbling shall occur.

And of course - keep track of the fluids - notice the levels in detail from day to day for a while to see if the levels changes. You should be two when testing this in case you have a fountain!

453747.png

OK, 10 Celsius then... What about humidity? At that temperature you shouldn't get condensation smoke unless the humidity is really high. (like over 90%)

A few quick checks can be done to check if you have a more serious problem.

Smell the exhaust fumes - when the engine is warm it shall be close to odorless. A sweet smell is coolant.

Open the oil filler cap and check how much it's breathing. There will be some breathing, so it's hard to decide right away if there is a problem.

Open the coolant cap (COLD ENGINE) and start the engine. No bubbling shall occur.

And of course - keep track of the fluids - notice the levels in detail from day to day for a while to see if the levels changes. You should be two when testing this in case you have a fountain!

alright, thanks for the input.

i'll keep an eye on it...

Ma_USMC, just an FYI, I thought I had a disappearing coolant issue but it turns out it's most likely just water evaporating. Keep an eye on the coolant but if it does go down slightly [read, about a finger or two in a thousand miles or more], don't be overly concerned.

Also an FYI that the Subaru tech at Duteau Subaru told me he uses tap water when he compensates coolant, not distilled water as I thought you were always suppsed to. He also told me he regularly adds coolant/water at 3K oil change intervals when customers come in so it does go down a bit. If you had headgasket or other issues it would go down quick and overfill your oil. Also, the dealer can do a pressure test on the coolant system to confirm leaks. Have they done this for you?

Hey Fish, PM me your phone number again please. I got the wrong number for you.

Yeah it looks as though my problems are solved but I did notice some coolant drop over the two thousand miles I've put on it.

So far so good. Need to tell the damn Subaru tech to chew out the lube guys.

Archived