LegacyGT.com

Unequal Length or Equal Length?

brandonGT

Which aftermarket header design?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which aftermarket header design?

• Equal-length design (i.e. Perrin, APS, Synic, etc.)
    • Unequal-length design (i.e. Maddad, Megan Racing, GT-Spec, etc.)

well i am so back and forth on this. i want to put on a header so bad but i cant decide on which design to go with. are the gains from equal length really worth it over losing the rumble? i want to hear from the community to help ease the desicion.

so far this is what ive come up with:

Equal Length Pro's

-more power (how much?)

-less likely to crack

-supposedly make the car quieter inside

-no melting the undertray

-quicker turbo spool

Equal Length Con's

-a bit pricier

-lose the boxer "rumble" (this one's killin me)

Unequal Length Pro's

-keep the boxer "rumble" (and perhaps enhance it)

-a little less expensive

-some options come with a 3 bolt flange design to fight leaks (a problem ive had in the past)

Unequal Length Con's

-more prone to cracking

-melting the undertray

-not quite as much power gains (again how much?)

-slower turbo spool

i just cant decide if the performance is worth losing the sound that i love. ive heard countless sound clips of equal length headers and i gotta be honest, i think its sound awful. but if these headers just kick the $hit out of an inefficient unequal-length design then the decision is easy for me to get the better performing choice.

oh and by the way, this header will be going on a stage 2 06 LGT with turboback, catless uppipe, Perrin TMIC, and AEM intake. i have a TDC tune right now which is performing excellent and i will be adding this header Without an updated tune.

All the below is IMO, and what conclusions I have come to personally owning an UEL header, but waiting for my header to go south so that I can get an EL header.

Equal Length Pro's

-more power (how much?) 10whp/10wtq

-no melting the undertray yes, because it tucks up closer to the engine

-quicker turbo spool 300 rpm boost threshold!!!!!!!!!

Equal Length Con's

-a bit pricier debateable

-lose the boxer "rumble" (this one's killin me) Take a good look around U-tube and NASIOC, plenty of clips to listen to, it ain't that bad

Unequal Length Pro's

-a little less expensive maybe

-some options come with a 3 bolt flange design to fight leaks (a problem ive had in the past) WBR header accommodates the 3 hole and 4 hole flange UPs

Unequal Length Con's

-melting the undertray

-slower turbo spool

If you don't get an updated tune, at least log to ensure everything is OK.

Do check out the WBR header, look here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84860

The WBR header is likely the one I will be getting next.

You will notice that most of the aftermarket header designers that used to make UEL headers are now making (or at least in the process of designing) EL headers. People are learning that they work better, to me that makes it a simple decision.:)

All the below is IMO, and what conclusions I have come to personally owning an UEL header, but waiting for my header to go south so that I can get an EL header.

Equal Length Pro's

-more power (how much?) 10whp/10wtq VS STOCK OR UNEQUAL?

-no melting the undertray yes, because it tucks up closer to the engine

-quicker turbo spool 300 rpm boost threshold!!!!!!!!!

Equal Length Con's

-a bit pricier debateable

-lose the boxer "rumble" (this one's killin me) Take a good look around U-tube and NASIOC, plenty of clips to listen to, it ain't that bad EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION, BUT I HONESTLY CANT STAND THE SOUND

Unequal Length Pro's

-a little less expensive maybe

-some options come with a 3 bolt flange design to fight leaks (a problem ive had in the past) WBR header accommodates the 3 hole and 4 hole flange UPs YEA I WAS ACTUALLY LOOKING AT THE PERRIN HEADER OR THE MEGAN RACING HEADER WHENEVER THAT COMES OUT

Unequal Length Con's

-melting the undertray

-slower turbo spool

If you don't get an updated tune, at least log to ensure everything is OK. OF COURSE

Do check out the WBR header, look here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84860

The WBR header is likely the one I will be getting next.

You will notice that most of the aftermarket header designers that used to make UEL headers are now making (or at least in the process of designing) EL headers. People are learning that they work better, to me that makes it a simple decision.:)

***LittleBlueGT, what im really lookin for is a reliable header that i can just slap on there and gain in instant 20 whp without a new tune, can the equal length header do this?***

***LittleBlueGT, what im really lookin for is a reliable header that i can just slap on there and gain in instant 20 whp without a new tune, can the equal length header do this?***

I would say w/ a good EL header you will gain a little bit better boost threshold, and at least 15 whp.

An EL header is your best bet to pull it off.

At any rate I would always log to make sure things are working properly.

I would say w/ a good EL header you will gain a little bit better boost threshold, and at least 15 whp.

An EL header is your best bet to pull it off.

At any rate I would always log to make sure things are working properly.

ok yea its all about the performance. i just hope i will be able to "feel" the results of a perrin header which will likely be the header of choice.

oh and trust me i will do plenty of logging. i have over 100 logs on my laptop.

but how will this header affect boost and powerband without a new tune? same spool? boost spike? maybe you can give me some insight on what to expect

thanks!

ok yea its all about the performance. i just hope i will be able to "feel" the results of a perrin header which will likely be the header of choice.

oh and trust me i will do plenty of logging. i have over 100 logs on my laptop.

but how will this header affect boost and powerband without a new tune? same spool? boost spike? maybe you can give me some insight on what to expect

thanks!

I don't think I can give a great answer to that question.

I honestly think it will be OK, but I don't think you will know exactly the diff til you log.

so which unequal length header?

Perrin seems to have good reviews, small primaries so not good for high hp, I would say very good for sub 350 whp.

WBR is a vendor here and there header looks very nice, probably my next header.

FR is hands down the best, but also the priciest by a HUGE margin. I would only buy theirs if eventually going to a TS rotated set-up.

Mad-dad is coming out with one.

MR is coming out with one.

There are many more.

Perrin seems to have good reviews, small primaries so not good for high hp, I would say very good for sub 350 whp.

WBR is a vendor here and there header looks very nice, probably my next header.

Aren't both of these equal length?

• 1 month later...

This is going to sound crass, but....

If you know ANYTHING about internal combustion engines you know that equal length headers are the ONLY headers that make any sense. PERIOD!!:spin:

All this talk about headers, which is ONLY for performance enhancement, combined with wondering about UNequal length tubes is maddening! The stock sound is NOT a "boxer rumble" like it means something, it is the sound a turbo Subaru motor makes because of its cast iron exhaust manifold, WHICH IS UNEQUAL LENGTH TO ACCOMODATE PACKAGING. The American turboed Subarus are compromised in a number of ways, this is one. The others are the subjects of these forums. Subarus sound like boxer engines with equal length headers, too, they just don't sound like boxer engines with a limp!!;)

If you want that SOUND that is linked, Pavlovian like, to the WRX and STi, STAY WITH THE STOCK HEADERS. They work just fine. They will generate your aural drool and you can imagine how much people will see an STi with Mad Powr instead of your LGT.

Do what you want, of course, people compromise their performance all the time for personal taste issues.... like big turbos with stock mufflers, for example. But those people KNOW what they're doing and what the compromise they have chosen costs, performance-wise.

Well i have heard of several set ups that use unequal length to gain over equal lenght headers. Due to exhuast pluses hitting the turbine wheel in a successive manner..... Long story short only headers that make MORE REAL POWER are ones with good R&D not some guy on a pipe bender, as velocity and diameter and length become more and more important. All while fitting in to the size restrictions. Simply called exhuast tunning which should be done with intake set up in mind also. So just as much power is possible R&D is the key to any choice. Good Luck and happy modding!;)

Archived