LegacyGT.com

Down pipe for 2003 legacy 2.0gt jdm

LegacyDan

Looking to get an aftermarket system fitted on my Legacy from turbo all the way back except leave the stock rear mufflers in place. Was originally supposed to get a custom system made up but the company in question never made on for a Legacy before so they would need my car for a week to use as a template. can't be without my car for a week so, my main question, will exhaust parts for the USDM spec Legacy's fit a JDM spec one? I think my 2003 is the equivalent to a US 2005. What would people recommend i go for? I don't want a loud system hence leaving the stock mufflers on

The short answer is highly unlikely. The left-hand drive USDM Gen 4 model (BL/BP) Turbo Back Exhausts (TBE) are made to fit up on/down the right side of the transmission so all of their alignments and connectors will be off on a right-hand drive turbo model where the turbo is on the opposite side. Plus, the JDM Gen 3 models (BE/BH) engine-to-firewall spacing is different too, so using a Gen 4 Downpipe, would likely be a non-starter, even if you could bolt it up to the turbo itself.

The only possible (and again unlikely) piece that might fit would be the center pipe, but even that would require modding to fit-up to a single exhaust can.

HTH

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The short answer is highly unlikely. The left-hand drive USDM Gen 4 model (BL/BP) Turbo Back Exhausts (TBE) are made to fit up on/down the right side of the transmission so all of their alignments and connectors will be off on a right-hand drive turbo model where the turbo is on the opposite side. Plus, the JDM Gen 3 models (BE/BH) engine-to-firewall spacing is different too, so using a Gen 4 Downpipe, would likely be a non-starter, even if you could bolt it up to the turbo itself.

The only possible (and again unlikely) piece that might fit would be the center pipe, but even that would require modding to fit-up to a single exhaust can.

HTH

SBT

the turbo on my 08 JDM Wagon (BP) is also on the right side of the car/or left hand side if you are out of the car looking under the hood from the front.

Not sure if the OP is talking about a BP/BL or a BE/BH wagon. He may bump into a problem if he owns a BP/BL since our JDM legacy uses a twin scroll turbo instead of a normal one in USDM.

anyway... there are plenty of downpipes available for the JDM legacy. Why not consider buying those?

Thats what i want but cant seem to find any info on them. Do you have any links?

Then it's not a 2003, it's a JDM 2004 edition BP/BL, which prompted my comments above about the 1999-2003 JDM (2000-2004 USDM) BE/BH . There should be plenty of JDM TBEs available, and some of our Hong Knog and Down Unda brethren can likely chime in here as well.

Facing the front of the engine from the front of the car, all of the USDM Turbo models have their boosting gear located on the left side. JDMs would be on the right as the brake booster and clutch (MT only) master cylinders are located where the turbo would be on the USDMs.

SBT

My car IS a 2003! The BL5 was available towards the end of 2003 in Japan. mine was 1st registered in Japan in November 2003. When i look in at my engine the turbo is on the left of the engine so it seems USDM and JDM turbo models have their turbos to the left of the engine bay as you face it?

My car IS a 2003! The BL5 was available towards the end of 2003 in Japan. mine was 1st registered in Japan in November 2003. When i look in at my engine the turbo is on the left of the engine so it seems USDM and JDM turbo models have their turbos to the left of the engine bay as you face it?

It may be "registered" as a 2003, but unless I've slipped a data cog, Subaru did not sell the JDM Gen 4 (BL/BP) models as a 2003 models (even though they were made in 2003), they sold the JDM BLs/BPs as 2004+, hence my confusion over your MY. The USDM Legacy model entry followed in 2005.

FWIW, USDM BL/BP Legacys, built, purchased and registered in 2004, are still 2005 models. JDM Subarus Legacys have always been 1 MY ahead of the USDM Subaru to wit:

1. BC/BF = Gen 1: JDM 1989-1993, USDM 1990-1994;
  2. BD/BG = Gen 2: JDM 1994-1998, USDM 1995-1999;
  3. BE/BH = Gen 3: JDM 1999-2003, USDM 2000-2004
  4. BL/BP = Gen 4: JDM 2004-2008, USDM 2005-2009

And for your BL model, the turbo should be on the left side of the engine(when you're sitting in the RH driver's seat)? This presumes that you have a JDM with RH drive, and if so, from the driver's seat, the turbo "should" be on the left hand (passenger) side of the car.

IMHO, it would not make sense to have the brake booster, brake and clutch master cylinders right above the hot turbo (and I've not seen this on JDMs before) hence my attempt to clarify the turbo's location from the driver's seat. If you're standing facing the engine compartment from/at the front bumper, with the hood open, the turbo should be on the right (passenger's side). Is this correct?

SBT

nope, when im standing at the front of my car with the hood up looking into the engine the turbo is on the left:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8464/dsc00928tf2.jpg

I can get some better pictures in the morning!

If you know any of the auction sites in Japan that you can buy used cars through eg: www.ibcjapan.co.jp

do a search for cars in auction 2003. and you will see that they were in fact sold from late 2003 onward in Japan.

looking on http://www.japanparts.com/db/maker.php?maker=Subaru

shows few different spec of jdm 2003-2005, 2006/2007 and 2008

Indeed, the turbo is placed right next to the brake cylinder.

Dan, I am using the HKS down pipe right now which I absolutely loved. Boost level is rising faster now so the power is delivered earlier. The engine rpm also rises easier at the higher rpms too. The highest peak boost recorded had risen from 1.25 bar to 1.35 bar but it should still be within safe limits. The 1.35 bar is only reached on very rare occasions.

The power delivery is actually smoother throughout the rpm range unlike stock where there is a sudden rush of power at 2500 to 3500 rpm. This may make the car appear to be less powerful to you but in fact, your car is actually more powerful at the other rpm range so the power spike at 2500 and 3500 rpm is now less obvious (this had been tested out with another legacy owner with a similar setup minus the down pipe).

nope, when im standing at the front of my car with the hood up looking into the engine the turbo is on the left:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8464/dsc00928tf2.jpg

I can get some better pictures in the morning! Interesting - first I'd seen/heard of this and again, I think it's questionable engineering to have that much heat right under the brake/clutch system. But knowing Subaru's engineers, they've probably figured a way around this. And is your's a "twin-scroll" turbo?

...and you will see that they were in fact sold from late 2003 onward in Japan. Correct, but they would be sold as a 2004 in 2003, similar to the USDM 2005s being sold in 2004. If it's a JDM/EDM BL/BP then it has to be a MY 2004+, unless the registration is somehow farcled. Because a JDM MY2003 Legacy sedan is a BE (1999-2003) not a BL which your's clearly is.

ok some useful info i got here! So back to the main point. Where can i get myself a down pipe etc for my jdm spec? my usual sources are drawing blanks. Only a handful of these in the country over here so not very much available locally

Try contacting Paul from AVO turboworld. He should be able to arrange for their JDM down pipe to be shipped from their counterpart in Japan. Most JDM parts manufacturer charges an arm and a leg for their parts when compared to the pricing from the local manufacturer in the states but the pricing from AVO is usually more reasonable.

^^Agreed, Paul's the man. If anyone can source you the right part, it's Paul.

Also, since you're looking for a down-pipe, the twin-scroll turbo (which I think is what you have) shouldn't be an issue. However, if you do want to change out your exhaust manifold or up-pipe, then it would be an issue. Good luck with your ride and let us know how it goes.

SBT

coolthanks guys.I might do theup pipe and header too if it doesnt work out too expensive.I'll be getting a tweak re-map as soon as i fit any ot the parts to make the most of the de-restriction on the exhaust system

so I've decided just to go fro a catless downpipe and center y-section. My concerns now are since im sure the aftermarket sections will be larger in diameter over stock and i want to keep my stock rear mufflers. will the after market bits fit with my stock mufflers?

so I've decided just to go fro a catless downpipe and center y-section. My concerns now are since im sure the aftermarket sections will be larger in diameter over stock and i want to keep my stock rear mufflers. will the after market bits fit with my stock mufflers?

I believe that, with only minor exceptions (if at all), aftermarket center/Y-pipes will mount up to the stock exhaust cans without issue (flange/bolt-hole wise). The only concern is the diameter as some are 2.5" into the exhaust can's 2.25" IIRC.

SBT

after a bit more research it seems that since the usdm legacy is a single scroll turbo and mine is a twin-scroll turbo i definitely need to get a JDM specific down pipe as the flange on the USDM ones would more than likely be different. If anyone knows of any JDM suppliers, please let me know.

Cheers

after a bit more research it seems that since the usdm legacy is a single scroll turbo and mine is a twin-scroll turbo i definitely need to get a JDM specific down pipe as the flange on the USDM ones would more than likely be different. If anyone knows of any JDM suppliers, please let me know.

Cheers

Paul and/or Ross at AVO Turbo World can help you source anything you need. They're vendors on here and their website is http://www.avoturboworld.com.

SBT

very few manufacturers make catless down pipe in Japan.

I thought I saw a make that was catless but when I browse their website today, I couldn't find one. I guess I have just remembered the wrong make but I am sure it exists, just very rare.

• 2 years later...
Then it's not a 2003, it's a JDM 2004 edition BP/BL, which prompted my comments above about the 1999-2003 JDM (2000-2004 USDM) BE/BH . There should be plenty of JDM TBEs available, and some of our Hong Knog and Down Unda brethren can likely chime in here as well.

Facing the front of the engine from the front of the car, all of the USDM Turbo models have their boosting gear located on the left side. JDMs would be on the right as the brake booster and clutch (MT only) master cylinders are located where the turbo would be on the USDMs.

SBT

Hi

This shape released worldwide in 2003.

thanks

Archived