LegacyGT.com

Ok year 'round Nokian WR-G2 owners....how're you liking them in warm weather?

TimGinCentralNJ

Am getting close to pulling the trigger on a set of these for my OBXT, as I'm about done with my Falken 512's (disappointing wear for sure) and the studs on my winter treads (WinterForce M+S) are also about finished, although there's plenty of tread left. For the cost of replacing both sets, I'm thinkin' I'm in "Nokian territory" now....

I got a quote for a set of WR-G2's in size 235/55-17XL ("V" rated) was $975 out the door from our local Jack Williams Tire. I know its a lot more $$ than others here said they've paid, but at leastsome of that difference is because the OB tire size is bigger than the LGT. I thought about heading up to the Boston area or NH to hit one of the Nokian dealers others have gone to, but with gas prices being what they are--I'd have to figure-in at least 2 tanks of gas into my costs. So, unless their prices were a couple hundred less, I don't think it'd be worth it.

So how is everyone who's running them year 'round liking them in the warmer temps? How's the steering response? How's the tread holding up?

That's my story. Any experience or info would be appreciated...

Thanks guys...

Tim

My wife has them year round on our 2005 Legacy GT wagon. We have had on 8k+ and found them to be wearing fine/evenly. We are happy with the warm weather performance but we rarely push them hard as we have two little ones below age 2 in back.

I paid just below $700 installed at John & Sons in Manchester, NH for 215/45/17 xl WR G2s

My wife has them year round on our 2005 Legacy GT wagon. We have had on 8k+ and found them to be wearing fine/evenly. We are happy with the warm weather performance but we rarely push them hard as we have two little ones below age 2 in back.

I paid just below $700 installed at John & Sons in Manchester, NH for 215/45/17 xl WR G2s

Congratulations....and by that I mean getting 2 little ones in the back seat of these cars! :) We can barely fit our 11 month old in her rear-facing "stage 2" seat and we've got another little one on the way due in November. Not sure how that whole thing is gonna' play out :)

Thanks for the info. I'm having a difficult time believing the difference in price is purely because of my different tire size. I mean $275 more?? Yikes...maybe these tires AREN'T the way to go after all. The reason I'm being such a stickler on how these tires handle in dry/warm weather is because the Falkens I have now have pretty weak sidewalls, and they tend to exacerbate the already-flimsy suspension on the Outback. At least with the GT wagon, you don't have that problem.

Appreciate the response--maybe I'll call John's for a quote and try to coordinate stopping by there with a visit to my folks out on the Cape.

Cheers,

Tim

UPDATE***********

I was waiting with baby sleeping car while wife was shopping.

I noticed the tires after 8k miles(installed this past winter) are showing 6 and 4 on the Nokian built in tread meter. Pulled out my handy tread depth guage and find they are 5/16" on all four tires even. I had car alignment checked 500 miles after installed and recently rotated the tires.

This tires don't seem like they are going to last. My past experience with Nokian WR's have been 40k+ although H and T rated on Civic's.

I put my nokians on in Dec, and am quite happy with their performance. They do feel a little softer than the stockers, but not much. Seeing how they were going to have to be dismounted to rotate them I had my OEM's put back on for the summer as they are still in very good shape, and a little more stiff in the summer heat. I may do this next summer as well, and when they are shot I will run the nokians all year. I figure this way will extend the life of the nokians by a year or two.

Thanks for chiming-in, guys....at this point, it's not sounding like I'm gonna' swing the WR-G2's--for reasons of price and warm-weather longevity/performance.

I know these tires are probably the closest possible thing to a competent "4 season" tire, but combined with the fact these cars wear-out tires like crazy because of the AWD--they just don't sound like they're really a good purchase. If I had a grand to blow, I'd buy 'em and use them during winter only, but with our 2nd little one due in November, that's not happenin'! :D

Instead I may try the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires and see how they do in the snow before I switch over to my old winter tires....ya' know....just for giggles.

Thanks again....

Tim

Tim,

Check out:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/showproduct.aspx?Productid=7352&ProdVar=61144

The WR G2 235/55R17 have the XL ply that is a reinforced sidewall to give you more stability during hard cornering.

Josh

Subject Matter Expert

800-576-1009 ext 775

Thanks, Josh....that was actually the model/size I got a quote for. Like with any tire, I think the XL designation may help stiffen-up a sidewall a little, but it won't turn a weak sidewall tire into a true performer unfortunately. My biggest issue is the cost for these puppies....that's a lot of bread for tires--especially on a car like this which munches through them pretty damn quick.

Cheers,

Tim

Thanks, Josh....that was actually the model/size I got a quote for. Like with any tire, I think the XL designation may help stiffen-up a sidewall a little, but it won't turn a weak sidewall tire into a true performer unfortunately. My biggest issue is the cost for these puppies....that's a lot of bread for tires--especially on a car like this which munches through them pretty damn quick.

Cheers,

Tim

Hello Tim,

The Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season are good tires. One reason the Nokian WR G2's may outlast the F1's, the WR G2 load index is 103 as opposed to the 99 of the Goodyear. Also the XL ply sidewall will help with stability and longevity. You may spend a little more for Nokian but you are getting a lot more tire. I feel you pain on the child situation, I've got number 3 due in January, that's why I will always recommend Nokian! Good luck either way.

Hello Tim,

The Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season are good tires. One reason the Nokian WR G2's may outlast the F1's, the WR G2 load index is 103 as opposed to the 99 of the Goodyear. Also the XL ply sidewall will help with stability and longevity. You may spend a little more for Nokian but you are getting a lot more tire. I feel you pain on the child situation, I've got number 3 due in January, that's why I will always recommend Nokian! Good luck either way.

Hey Josh-

Thanks for the information. Just a question for ya'; your response would seem to indicate that there is some correlation is between "Load Index" and "treadwear". I do get that if you put a lighter Load Index tire on a very heavy vehicle, you risk tire failure because of the excess heat generated by the vehicle's weight may not dissipate adeqautely causing the tire to explode. Outside of that, how does "tirewear" figure in?

FWIW, I do pay attention to the Load Index when shopping for tires, however, there are very limited tire options in the stock OB XT size as it is--and far fewer with the XL Load Index. Since I never load my OB anywhere close to weight capacity, and have always run higher-than-OEM recommended tire pressures, I didn't see any real danger is not running an XL tire.

An early "congrats" on your soon-to-be son or daughter. Any plans of trying to squeeze them all into your OB? If so.....I wish you luck with that!! ;) I do wish the dimensions of the OB were closer to the former Audi Allroad (the car I was shopping for when we stumbled onto Subaru).....it has just the right amount of extra space in just the right places. Too bad Audis are unreliable, and their customer service and dealers are the pits.

Tim

Hey Josh-

Thanks for the information. Just a question for ya'; your response would seem to indicate that there is some correlation is between "Load Index" and "treadwear". I do get that if you put a lighter Load Index tire on a very heavy vehicle, you risk tire failure because of the excess heat generated by the vehicle's weight may not dissipate adeqautely causing the tire to explode. Outside of that, how does "tirewear" figure in?

FWIW, I do pay attention to the Load Index when shopping for tires, however, there are very limited tire options in the stock OB XT size as it is--and far fewer with the XL Load Index. Since I never load my OB anywhere close to weight capacity, and have always run higher-than-OEM recommended tire pressures, I didn't see any real danger is not running an XL tire.

An early "congrats" on your soon-to-be son or daughter. Any plans of trying to squeeze them all into your OB? If so.....I wish you luck with that!! ;) I do wish the dimensions of the OB were closer to the former Audi Allroad (the car I was shopping for when we stumbled onto Subaru).....it has just the right amount of extra space in just the right places. Too bad Audis are unreliable, and their customer service and dealers are the pits.

Tim

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the congrats, and same to you! We are going to wait and be suprised when this baby comes. I've got two girls now and really wouldn't mind a boy.

I know how difficult it can be attempting to find what the factory recommends for the correct tire size, load and speed rating. From what I have come across, putting a higher OEM load index tire on should distribute the weight more efficently and increase the life of the tires, not by a ton, but some. One of the greatest habits to get into is rotating tires at least every 7,500 miles.

What do I do with three car seats? Am I going to have to get a mini van????????

-Josh

Archived