LegacyGT.com

DIY Tint Discussion

icrackedcorn

short story- did it myself, love it, YMMV

For the past few days, I've been applying tint film to my BD whenever I got some free time, and finally have it to where I can live with it. I picked up the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart and experimented with a few different films, based on what was stocked. The 20% "GOOD" was applied to the car side windows and a poor side window was redone with the 20% "BEST" as well as the rear glass (no brake light cutout). I replaced the side window (again) with good because the best wasn't working for me there

it didn't match on the outside! (good was MUCH darker, best was more reflective and grey looking). I proffered Good

Application took practice and the back glass required another set of hands to keep me company and help out in a few moments. Estimated total time including lots of prep id say was ~ 6 hours over 2 days (mistakes/redos included) and the total cost was 60 bucks including LOTS of wasted film and all required tools. now i could do a car for 40 or 50 no problem (and will to supplement some mods)

anyone else do it to their legacy or other cars?

(pics to be posted somewhere shortly)

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

I did the side glass on my VW bug many years ago and it turned out pretty well.

Those windows were perfectly flat plates of glass though, and I removed them from the car to do the job, so it doesn't get any easier than that.

My LGT was done by a pro, and it turned out perfectly as far as I can tell.

I did my LGT's sunroof using 'cling' vinyl just to see if I'd like the effect. Application was a lot like regular tint, except that there's no adhesive involved so it doesn't stick as well, and the material is a bit heavier. It was a huge pain in the ass though, with gravity working against me the whole time, and a slight compound curve to the glass creating tiny wrinkles around the edges. I like it a lot so I'm going to get it done right, using good film, and I'm going to pay someone else suffer though it. :)

I am guessing you got the Axius brand tint from Walmart. I used the same tint when I DIY'ed my 2.5i's windows last year. The "best" Axius tint has alot of metallic/reflectiveness, whereas the good does not have any metallic to it. That is why the best is a lighter grey than the good which looks darker.

I find the "best" is easier to put on than the "good" though and seems to be a bit better quality. Definitely don't mix and match them though.

BTW - were you able to do the rear window in 1 solid peice of tint or did you have to use 2,3,4?

i used something similar on one of my last cars and it looked ok for a year or 2 then i sold it before it could turn purple. Now that i own a semi-expensive car, i won't be half-assing the window tint with anythring from wal mart.

That being said i admire your dedication.

I am guessing you got the Axius brand tint from Walmart. I used the same tint when I DIY'ed my 2.5i's windows last year. The "best" Axius tint has alot of metallic/reflectiveness, whereas the good does not have any metallic to it. That is why the best is a lighter grey than the good which looks darker.

I find the "best" is easier to put on than the "good" though and seems to be a bit better quality. Definitely don't mix and match them though.

BTW - were you able to do the rear window in 1 solid peice of tint or did you have to use 2,3,4?

That's the stuff and all of those observations are true. I think the best formed better because it had more weight and wouldnt crease as easily, but then again, i used it after i got used to the process.

I didnt even bother trying to shrink the back glass, as I dont have a heat gun and the film in those packs couldnt do it in one peice so i made seams on the defrosters. the seams were fine, our mistakes were in cutting clean lines (they were accurate but a dull blade tore a few places) and placing towards the bottom (even with the deck out)

It will be redone with the same guy with our new skills and the darker tint.

as far as pics, the last window cured yesterday and those of us in CO know that the weather hasn't been conducive to pics since then (overcast)

The ammonia in Windex and other glass cleaners is what turns tint purple. You have to buy non-ammonia cleaner to use on tint. The tint doesn't make it half-assed, it's the skill of the person doing it. I won't pay someone to do something that I am more than capable of doing myself. And your right icrackedcorn, the good likes to crease easy as it is not very thick, where as the best quality is thick and conforms better to curves.

Other notes to add to this thread....

• Gila brand that is sold at parts stores like Advanced Auto and Autozone is very crappy quality. Very thin and tears and creases easy.
  • There is no magic mix for spraying down the windows when tinting, a couple drops of Dawn or any other brand dish detergent in a spray bottle of water works like a charm.
  • Trim the tint to size on the outside of the window to within an 1"-2" of what you actually need. Watch what side the glue side of the tint is facing so you are cutting it to fit the right window. The clear film covering the glue is usually the shiniest side.
  • Remove door panels and trim where ever you can, it makes laying up and trimming the tint so much easier. (Note - on a 05+ Legacy, when you remove the door panels, temporarily remove the small felt pads that put pressure against the window. Its hard to push the tint past these.
  • Have a lot of razor blades on hand. At the slightest hint of it being dull, switch to a new one.

I will add to this as more tips come to mind.

we are blessed with frameless windows. 2 less steps when you're cutting and placing the film.

i got a tip- lay it right on the dot matrix around the edge and don't screw with sanding it off, filling it in with glue, painting it, cutting around it, or any of that. the film may or may not stick before/after curing with/without a nice hardcard pressing. whatever, even if it doesn't, the bad part is chasing the bubbles it seems to induce if its wet and the ood thing is, it doesn't look half bad if it doesn't stick (just a light border in the tint)

Archived