LegacyGT.com

Anyone Imported Mcintosh System

lgtdude

Does anyone have any information on the possibility of importing the 13 speaker McIntosh stereo system? Does anyone know the cost of the radio in Australia? I travel there periodically and am considering purchasing it.

Any info from our Oz friends?

• 2 weeks later...

the oz spec mcintosh is great for an OEM system however dont bother importing the speakers. they are crap.

i am just about to rip them all out of my car and go to something else.

the headunit looks great and all...but ....the sound quality just aint there.

on the oz spec deck, you get two FM (12 total) and 1 AM (6 total).

i cant wait to get the wiring diagram for the sound system to change the amp and sub as well.

there just aint no kick to it and i aint no audiophile

Don't forget that McIntosh is owned by Clarion. This gear is certainly made in Asia alongside Clarion, Pioneer, etc.....not the genuine McIntosh hi-fi gear handmade in Binghamton, NY. It's premium stuff sure, but even the US arm of McIntosh is not known for the quality of their speakers, though their home electronics are made with mil-spec precision (as the US military was one of their early clients in the 1950's)

though their home electronics are made with mil-spec precision (as the US military was one of their early clients in the 1950's)

hee hee, mil-spec precision. Maybe in the 1950's that was a compliment, but today that's synonymous with "good enough for government work" and "made by the lowest bidder." :p

mil-spec components are something totally different from military contracts

+1

Having sold Mac gear for a living, I can tell you their home products are built like tanks and are truly handmade. Even the boxes they are shipped in are nuts. Actually, a box within a box. They are so anal about build quality, they claim to have never lost a unit it shipping.

If you are ever in upstate NY and are an electronics fan, definitely take the tour of their lab. It's very cool.

• 2 weeks later...
just ripped my speakers off from the LGT and surprised to find out that the sub and mid range up front are made in Malaysia and the rest of the speakers in China... the foam surrounds don't look like they can take the heat if you park in the sun alot.. head unit seem to be rather poor quality too as the sound seems to be squeaking already... think Mcintosh starting to spoil their reputation now...

just ripped my speakers off from the LGT and surprised to find out that the sub and mid range up front are made in Malaysia and the rest of the speakers in China... the foam surrounds don't look like they can take the heat if you park in the sun alot.. head unit seem to be rather poor quality too as the sound seems to be squeaking already... think Mcintosh starting to spoil their reputation now...

See post #10

We get Panasonic made gear, not the McIntosh branded Clarion that's made in China.

Someone in this forum mentioned that the McIntosh headunit is actually the Clarion drx9255, which is actually quite a good set (about US$1000) Could someone confirm this? I am thinking of removing the HU and doing up a custom panel to fit my Pioneer (DEH-P9450MP) ... but if it is a good high end set (which I seriously doubt..), I guess it would be better to keep it... any thoughts?

Archived