LegacyGT.com

New Saturns

The Sky that was showed was a production ready car, I doubt with the press they recieved about it they will change it much. I LOVED it from the pictures, personally.

The Aura looked really nice too, but it might change more because I think it was pre-production.

[expletive deleted] Saturn sky my arse.

That is the bastardized version of one of the HAWTest concept sports cars EVAR.

Vauxhall VX Lightning, was supposed to be the VX220's replacement until EuroNannyUnion decided that pedestrians that are stupid enough to walk in front of speeding cars need to be protected by having a 4" gap under the body above any hard surfaces.

The VX lightning was the end all be all of 2 seat roadster sportscars when I saw pics of it last year about this time. The interior looked nice color wise, and style wise, but the leather had a hard sheen to it, and I am more partial to softer leather (like the GT limited has, actually)

The bodywork was sheer genius. Designed by a brit, which was obvious as I have yet to see anything of that caliber from a US GM design studio.

But now they bland-ified it, and are selling it as a saturn. Naw-Than-Queue. I wonder if it will have saturn plastic body panels, or saturn levels of wear resistance. (read: nearly none.)

A damned shame.

I just checked out the Aura. Bland. Not as ugly as the L-series sedan, but how could it be. Anything is up from the bottom. The center exit exhaust is an interesting touch, but the rest the car is certainly not keeping up their sporting appearance, least of all, the front. The Legacy is FAR AND AWAY sportier looking.

I am still not convinced that GM in the US can offer a truly good looking car. I have yet to be proven wrong, based solely on my own opinion of GM USDM cars. (and I don't count Subaru, since they are not designed by GM at all, let alone by GM in North America.)

The corvette is an improvement, but still clumsy, especially in the front.

The Pontiac bonneville is getting better, but they still muck up just enough details to make it not quite right. "Art and Science" caddys are novel, but ultimately too weird. Aside from that I can't think of any.

I think GM is getting better, deffinetly better then Ford and Crysler I think. I personally don't like the looks of the new Mustang, and they made the Focus even worse. Crysler has allways looked ugly with those huge grills and don't even get me started on the PT cruiser. But GM is starting to look pretty good, I like the new Corevette, big improvement over the last one, shorter and more sporty, less bulk. Also the cobalt is a good looking low end car, big improvement over the Cavalier. I haven't seen pictures of the saturns that you guys are talking about, pictures should really be in this thread.

I agree, the Lightning was much better and damn the sissies in Euro for legislating it out. Dead peds = Darwinism. Now the watered it down to fit the Saturn 'look'. I suppose I should be happy it's being made at all as on its own it isn't bad, but I think I'll complain about what could have been instead.

Steve

Actually all four are basically the same car underneath. Opel Speedster and Vauxhall Lightning were show cars, Pontiac Solstice (was a show car, first) and Saturn Sky (was the Vauxhall show car) are actually going to be built.

I think I'll stick with the Miata the wife and I have, and Turbocharge it, though. I want to see the NC Miata, but that may not bow until Geneva's Auto show...

IIRC the Speedster is based on the Elise, while the Solstice was a concept car on a one off platform. After the great reception of the Solstice a couple years ago, GM decided to crunch the numbers on building it and realized that it would never return a profit alone. So, they spread the new rear drive small car platform across a couple continents and manufacturers and voila, you have the Solstice, Lightning and Sky based on the same brand new platform.

Actually all four are basically the same car underneath. Opel Speedster and Vauxhall Lightning were show cars, Pontiac Solstice (was a show car, first) and Saturn Sky (was the Vauxhall show car) are actually going to be built.

I think I'll stick with the Miata the wife and I have, and Turbocharge it, though. I want to see the NC Miata, but that may not bow until Geneva's Auto show...

Archived