LegacyGT.com

ok, I am finally convinced - tire help needed

sandwood

So we finally got some snow in DC today and I went out for a little test drive on the RE-92 tires. They are certainly worse than any all-season I have had in the past 5 or 6 years (and obviously don't compare to the last set of "high performance" winter tires I had). While I was having a lot of fun, the car had less traction than I would like, and ABS was engaging way to quickly, even making allowances for the packed snow and slush.

SO

1. Anybody know if any tire places will give you credit on a used set of tires trading in? I have about 6,500 miles on mine. And I don't really want to try and deal with selling them to a private party.

2. Anybody out there have specific recommendations or input into a 205-50-17 performance oriented winter tire (i.e. I don't want an all out winter tire)? I don't see why we shouldn't go down a size given the width of these rims. On the other hand the OEM size wd be fine as well. My plan is to get 18" rims and summer tires as soon in the spring/summer or as I can afford them.

THANKS.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

as a follow up to my own post, I might also just keep the REs and wear them out through the spring and summer before upgrading --- that way I get my money's worth out of them. still, I'd be interested to hear thoughts/suggestions.

So we finally got some snow in DC today and I went out for a little test drive on the RE-92 tires. They are certainly worse than any all-season I have had in the past 5 or 6 years (and obviously don't compare to the last set of "high performance" winter tires I had). While I was having a lot of fun, the car had less traction than I would like, and ABS was engaging way to quickly, even making allowances for the packed snow and slush.

SO

1. Anybody know if any tire places will give you credit on a used set of tires trading in? I have about 6,500 miles on mine. And I don't really want to try and deal with selling them to a private party.

2. Anybody out there have specific recommendations or input into a 205-50-17 performance oriented winter tire (i.e. I don't want an all out winter tire)? I don't see why we shouldn't go down a size given the width of these rims. On the other hand the OEM size wd be fine as well. My plan is to get 18" rims and summer tires as soon in the spring/summer or as I can afford them.

THANKS.

Yeah, I live in the DC area also and was eager to test out my Legacy in the snow. For the most part everything was good, but there was a few times I felt a slight loss of traction while turning or changing lanes. I will wait until these tires are spent before getting better ones. Highlight of the drive was flying by this poor guy in a BMW 540 going about 15 mph, he probably had summer tires on.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm on the stockers for the winter- I'd love better tires- the OB tires are wider and they make excellent snowplows. Which, of course, does nothing for traction.

Continental ContiExtremeContacts are working great on our 2000 LGT wagon. Great summer traction and deep enough tread for rain and snow. Good speed rating too. These will go on our 2005 LGT wagon next fall. The stock RE92s are not worth a nickel after 12,000-15,000 miles of tread wear.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I was also sort of disappointed today driving on the snow. I live around Baltimore and we got about an inch or so. The rear seems to want to kick out real easy with the stock tires, almost as bad as a rear wheel drive car. I wasn't even trying to go fast or anything. From a stop, turning at a red light, slight uphill, and the ass starting sliding out on me in 1st gear (around 2500 rpm). Very disappointing to say the least. Maybe I just need to get used to it since this is my first AWD car. The ABS seems to also kick in real easy and seems pretty loud and clunky, but does a good job stopping the car (did some parking lot testing). I think I might invest in some Toyo Proxy's when money allows, unfortunately that won't be until after the winter.

yes. but getting a narrow width tire for winter use makes sense, especially on a 7" wide rim, no?

Correct, rally racing uses 135/70?/16 tires for WRX. :D

How's it going Sandwood? I live just north of DC. I swapped out my RE-92s (still sitting at home as a back up) and I am using a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 225/45/17 for $500 (I bought it off from an STi owner with 1000 miles on it).

I am not sure on the buy-back for tires, but you can call Paul or Sam at Radial Tire ( http://www.radialtire.com ). The store/shop is located in Maryland near the intersection of 16th street and Georgia Ave. All the local SCCA, BMW, AUDI, Porsche and 20 other race club teams and members go there for tires, and that's where I can find a set of half used Hoosiers for a great price ;) So you can give them a call and see what they can do for you.

As far as driving in the snow, just take it easy, even on dedicated snow tires, you are not invincible. Just because you can cut through the snow and touch pavement doesnt mean the cars around you can.

I was having a grand ol time doing lane changes and so forth with my Michelin tires. Sure, they still slide through the slush and snow, but it's all in control. It's really cool when you can pitch a car sideways and still go where you want to go eventhough the car is not pointed where it's suppose to go. People are just amazed when I can pull a 45 degree drift in the snow in a straight line. I really never had problems with RE92s as most people say (I really think it's all a driver-error-input thing more than anything). If I can use RE92s for drifting events, I dont know why people who actually drive for daily use are having such hard time.

Some people need to be "skooled!" :lol:

Keefe

Keefe

thanks for the tip Keefe - I'll look into that. I've had a fair amount of experience snow driving and owned 2 audis prior to the legacy, so I'm no stranger to awd and snow. the stock michelins on my a4 were better than these re92s, as were a set of falken all-seasons. I wasn't having much trouble controling the car around corners, braking - in fact I was having quite a lot of fun with controlled sliding. and it wdn't be a big deal if i keep the re's until they're toast, but I still was not impressed with them, and it will definitely be my long term strategy to have separate winter tires and 18" summers.

Continental ContiExtremeContacts are working great on our 2000 LGT wagon. Great summer traction and deep enough tread for rain and snow. Good speed rating too. These will go on our 2005 LGT wagon next fall. The stock RE92s are not worth a nickel after 12,000-15,000 miles of tread wear.
How is the ride of ContiExtreme compare with Stock RE92s? Are they noisy?How about treadwear? Thanks

I was thinking of get them but looks like they are out of stock everywhere.:(

well i live in vermont and i am rocking my re92's all winter and we have alot of snow here and i dont have any problem ..i suggest bring it out in the snow play with it a little.. just get use to the car and i think you will be comfortable..just a suggestion...

I agree they are not the great all seasons. However we have already had many storms here, even this morning. I have found them to be descent though. They do have a somewhat tough time with the real heavy slush stuff, but other than that they haven't caused me any headache.

If it is crappy out and the back end is coming out and ABS kicking in i think thats probably a good sign that you are driving beyond they're abilities and the conditions. We have probably had about 12 storms, the most being just under a foot so far. I have had the back end come out a few times from a stop, but have yet to have the abs kick in or really start sliding at all.

If someone is sliding all around in only an inch or two and we have had almost a foot and i haven't sliden around, i think its a good indication that you need to learn how to handle the car in the snow better.

Just my $.02

I really never had problems with RE92s as most people say (I really think it's all a driver-error-input thing more than anything).

Everybody bow down to Tommi Makinen. All along, I thought it was the tires that were the problem...I should have known it was all my fault. :lol:

yeah, I for one am aware of how to drive in snow without ABS coming on or sliding around turns. I was encouraging that to happen yesterday to see where the car's limits are with these tires (and also for a bit of fun). it's also relevant should an emergency situation arise.

my point remains that these tires are worse than the last couple of all-seasons I've owned, and obviously worse than a dedicated winter tire. my realization of how much worse is what prompted this thread. it's a matter of opinion, of course, and anyone could "get by" on these tires. just a question of whether spending the extra $ for the extra traction makes sense to you. like I said, I may save my nickels and just wear these tires out, but for next winter, I definitely want better snow tires....

Archived