LegacyGT.com

Front diff. howling, give advice!

CodyItaliano

ok, this car was beaten on before i got it. i've changed out the tranny oil a few times. as of now its nice and clean, not turning brown. foward and reverse gears are doing great.

but, the front differential is howling when it is heated up quickly. for instance, i'll run it a bit hard, then it howls. also does so while driveing. not too bad but loud enough that i can tell.

right now i'm using castrol 80W90 hypoid oil. getting the oil isnt a problem so i can change it whenever. but i was thinking of using an addative. i had talked down on addatives but f' that. anyways, i was going to use some friction enhancer addative. also thinking of using a bit of Lucas to thicken it up some.

so give me y'alls advice on what to do. i will be looking for another tranny. i really want a 6MT which i'll have my uncle look for since he deals with used parts dealers often.

so yeah lmk what i can do to help prolong my front differentials life. i do try and drive it nice and smoothly most of the time not slamming the gears.

oh also if you didnt notice its an '05 LGT with 5MT

Maybe it isn't your front diff. Maybe it is a wheel bearing.

Since you have changed your fluid, and haven't mentioned it, you must not have found metal debris on the magnetic drain plug. Our front diffs are pretty stout and few have had any problems. But many have had wheel bearings go bad, including me.

I now have Amsoil Extreme Duty 75-90 fluid in my front and rear diffs. But I don't think there is any additive that will correct or ameliorate a true defect in either.

no, the way its sounds its most definately the diff.

applied power, makes noise. i let off, not so much noise. i put it in neutral, then a lot of noise.

and yes, there have been plenty of metal shavings on that drain plug each change of the oil.

i'll check out those wheel bearings though, but i highly doubt its them with the conditions i'm experienceing.

so anyways, more recommendations would be appreciated.

yeah, mine is mostly noticeable above 50mph as well.

i did a fluid change with 80W90 gear oil. also used nearly 3/4 of a quart of Lucas. i've checked it a bunch of times, not much foaming as i thought with the Lucas. did quiet it a whole lot, makes it much nicer to cruise on the highway.

it was a last ditch try at it since this tranny will likely need replacement in 60000 more miles. i'm just guessing. i'm not too rough with it though as the privious owner was. and my suspicions were right about that guy. he really beats on his Z06 that he traded this LGT in for.

i may end up getting it rebuilt eventually. i may also just look into getting a 6MT

though. i might like the gearing better with that. but i'm going to see if i can get one

out of Houston or somewhere close. hopefully this thing will hold up. as long as i dont

thrash it i think it should be ok for a while. i've had problems with differentials in other

cars and this isnt anywhere as bad as i've had before.

Do you get any noise from the stick.

There were issues with bearings going bad in the MT, mine included. It started humming like crazy out of no where and was coverefd under warranty.

Justs a thought

Denial is your best friend

yeah, unfortunately i dont have any sort of warranty on this thing. and yeah its

making noise from the stick when pushing into each gear, not when i let go though.

i'll be looking into a nice used tranny if i can locate one. it really does sound like the

differential though. kind of the same symtoms that my 280Z had before i swapped

the rear end.

so do y'all think i should look into a new tranny or getting this one rebuilt?

what i really want is to find a 6MT. but i honestly dont know where to look. my uncle that lives in houston might be able to locate one though.

anyways, the front diff is still making noise, but it hasnt worsened. i think it'll be ok for now

just got my car back from the dealer, loud howling noise, moreso on throttle, kinda grey transmission oil drain when i drained it, and turned out to be a bearing from the back of the transmission, in the transfer case. i originally thought it was a wheel bearing myself, but somehow the dealer found the source, and, it no longer makes noises now!

i may end up getting it rebuilt eventually. i may also just look into getting a 6MT

There you go - that should fixor the problem.

However, if you don't go that route (6MT), then do take this thing down to parade rest and rebuild/replace the broke-dick parts as it's only going to get worse from here on out IMHO.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived