LegacyGT.com

Line out converter

subbiwag99

So i've decided i want to put a sub in my car but i wanna keep the stock HU. I know i have to use a line out converter but im not sure where i need to hook it up. My wagon has a stock sub so i dont know if i can hook it up there or if i need to pull the deck, and also im unsure which wires to splice into. Any help is very much appreciated, also the it is a 99 legacy outback if it makes any difference.

So i've decided i want to put a sub in my car but i wanna keep the stock HU. I know i have to use a line out converter but im not sure where i need to hook it up. My wagon has a stock sub so i dont know if i can hook it up there or if i need to pull the deck, and also im unsure which wires to splice into. Any help is very much appreciated, also the it is a 99 legacy outback if it makes any difference.

I'm pretty sure you can use the subwoofer output, but the problem with that is the stock radio reduces the bass frequencies to all lines, and the sub-out line inparticular when the volume gets turned up (in attempt to protect the factory subwoofer and speakers) I had this problem when i did my own subwoofer install, and it just wasn't very powerful. If you haven't already bought a line out converter, i would suggest the MTX RE-Q. Here's the crutchfield link, but i got mine on ebay for under 45 bucks.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=re%2Dq&i=236REQ

Basically it keeps the bass frequencies up despite what the radio wants it to do (so your bass stays strong at higher volumes) Just splice 4 wires off your front or rear speakers (Positive and negative for Left and Right channels) and connect them to the RE-Q, and then RCAs from the RE-Q to your amp. I just disconnected the factory sub after my own install because it sounded like crap in comparison.

If you decide to use a different line out converter, make sure you use the speaker leads and not the subwoofer ones because the factory sub harness is reduced more at higher volumes then the regular speaker outs.

Archived