LegacyGT.com

OEm Conversion to Cross Drilled??

MarkV

Is it possible to convert the oem rotors into drilled....or slotted rotors.......

i'm thinking the answer is no, but just some really bad food for thought

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

just buy new rotors, it's better off that way.. you dont want to spend time drilling holes in your stock rotors anyways. That just ruins the integrity of the rotor.

and yes, that food is poison.

Keefe

I know I figured that. I was just bored and thought I would start a stupid thread...

but thanks for the insight

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

X-drilled and/or slotted rotors are pointless for just about any car in the world. Everyone always thinks they need the cooling and such, but in the process they sacrifice all the durability of the rotor. When was the last time you saw a GOOD race car with slotted and/or drilled rotors? They all use blanks for durability. The best way to get better braking from your brake rotors is to just go big. Not drilled/slotted.

X-drilled and/or slotted rotors are pointless for just about any car in the world. Everyone always thinks they need the cooling and such, but in the process they sacrifice all the durability of the rotor. When was the last time you saw a GOOD race car with slotted and/or drilled rotors? They all use blanks for durability. The best way to get better braking from your brake rotors is to just go big. Not drilled/slotted.

Partially true and partially incorrect.

True: They do not add performance benefits. That's why we market them as "BLING rotors". We'd never make false claims that they improve performance, other than aesthetic performance. For those who need to replace their rotors anyways, they are provided this option as each of us do like to personalize our cars ;) Slotted rotors do have their place in some situations and are not entirely useless. A lot of racecars actually do use them and are beneficial for endurance applications as well. Personally? I use blanks. They are cheap and disposable.

False: " The best way to get better braking from your brake rotors is to just go big". Bigger rotors or bigger brakes DO NOT give you better braking. Just like your statement of being pointless for the majority of vehicles on the road, the same is true for BBKs. The whole point of a BBK is to increase mass as the rotor is a heat sink. It increases performance in ONE way, which is to provide repeatability lap after lap after lap. Something you WONT see on the street.

The BEST way to improve braking performance is TIRES. Pads increase performance to an extent by giving you the optimal friction range for a given temperature. But in the end, the ONE thing that improves braking the most is TIRES.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

I agree 100% on the tire part.

BBK's may be pointless for street cars, but for one that sees occasional track days it can be very beneficial. Why? Because the caliper design is usually much better, along with the rotors (floating rotor, thicker, etc) and on top of that, the whole assembly is usually lighter. The thicker rotor will have better cooling through the vanes, and one with a larger surface area will be able to allow a bigger pad, thus a bigger friction surface (like going with wider tires, but for the brakes). But it is true the only way this can all be helpful is by having a good tire that won't lock up everytime you get on the brakes.

yea but the only thing about that is bigger rotors means bigger wheels and tires.....dosn't it?....

I agree 100% on the tire part.

BBK's may be pointless for street cars, but for one that sees occasional track days it can be very beneficial. Why? Because the caliper design is usually much better, along with the rotors (floating rotor, thicker, etc) and on top of that, the whole assembly is usually lighter. The thicker rotor will have better cooling through the vanes, and one with a larger surface area will be able to allow a bigger pad, thus a bigger friction surface (like going with wider tires, but for the brakes). But it is true the only way this can all be helpful is by having a good tire that won't lock up everytime you get on the brakes.

Yea, but unless you change the master cylinder, your applied brake force will not change. Changing the piston diameters will change feel, but by changing pad sizes and rotor sizes, you do not increase braking performance.

By going to a larger caliper, rotor and associated parts, youre also adding a lot of weight. Plenty of track cars use stock brakes. As long as you have the right pads you should be fine. Add in ducting and it'll give you tons better resistance to fade.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived