LegacyGT.com

Painting Chrome trim

wms291

I recently painted my stock grill to rid the GT of the Buick look and was very happy with the results. Question is, has anyone tried removing the chrome trim on the back of the wagon to paint it also? I'm a little afraid to try to pry it off to paint.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I believe that back part that the chrome is attached to is plastic- maybe it just pops off then you could see hoe the chrome is attached to it.

I recently painted my stock grill to rid the GT of the Buick look and was very happy with the results. Question is, has anyone tried removing the chrome trim on the back of the wagon to paint it also? I'm a little afraid to try to pry it off to paint.

got a pic?

• 2 weeks later...
I took out the license plate lights and behind each one is a tab for the chrome piece. I'm still not sure if it is only these two screws holding it down. I pried a little bit but I don't want to snap the chrome piece.

funny, I was looking at this tonight as I was following my fiance who was driving my car. I thought to myself....that's the only chrome on the car......must go. I wonder how hard it is to get that piece off. There is an almost identical trim strip on the back of the MINI I pulled off to apply boot stripes.....it had four trim screws. I guess we aren't so lucky.

Best case would be some push-pops (probable). Worst case would be screws into the plastic chrome strip from the inside of the tailgate (not likely).

I think I may yank it apart this weekend to figure it out. If I break it, at least I will have the new one off the car ready for paint. Question is, what color to paint it. Satin black? Gun metal?

will defiantly have to do that once it warms up...i will be panting mine OBP. My brother works at a shop and he already gave me a quart, :grin: will probably paint the stock grill chrome as well...just give them a little scuff and some adhesion promoter and bamm

Good to know. I also started working on the interior trim but ran out of time. Just a note for those attempting this. The license plate lights were a b**** to get back on. The backing holes would not line up. I almost stripped the heads of both screws on one side before I figured out what was up:lol: . Thanks for all the help;) .

Was able to remove the chrome piece today. Yes you have to remove interior trim pieces. It is more than 2 hex bolts though. Getting the chrome off was a PITA. The trim does not come off easy and there are 13 nuts in all to remove. You will need a 8mm deep well socket to get 9 of the nuts off. Both times I said nuts I laughed to myself:p . Back on topic. I'll post pics later and a write up. Can someone tell me how to post pics in the thread? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest turboman

Anybody ever try using black tape to cover strips of chrome? They (Whitlock) used to sell tape especially for this, but I've used black electrical tape as well as black Mystic tape. It lasts as long or longer than paint.

It's a little tricky to position it so the top edge can be tucked into the crack with a butter knife and, if the tape is too wide use an Exacto knife to slice off the surplus. I used to try a couple short pieces of tape to learn exectly how much to overlap the top to get a correct "tuck in".

Overlap the end in a not so obvious place (you have to "start" there too), overlap an inch to accomodate shrinkage and cut it off at a 45 degree angle.

Just did a Google search for "chrome blackout tape" and there's a bunch of suppliers like 3M, TrimBrite, etc.

Archived