LegacyGT.com

Those of you who have run Falken 512's, where did they wear-out?

TimGinCentralNJ

If they are summer only, might as well get the FK-452. If there is even the slightest chance of snow, then I'd think about the 912, otherwise the 452 will do you right. I've had both (and the 512 also) and I'd recommend them all based on price.

i'm running 912's and couldn't be happier with dry and wet traction, but don't trust them if you get any ice. i'm nearing half of the treadlife at 20k on them, extremly hard driving and 50 or so runs down the 1/4 mile. the 452's are great as well

both exceeded what I got out of my kumho asx's

^ Even the 512s shouldn't be trusted on ice or hard-packed ("icy") snow, IMveryHO, due to the tires' extreme pressure/traction sensitivity.

I honestly don't know why CR rated the 512s so highly in terms of "ice-stop" situations....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Even the 512s shouldn't be trusted on ice or hard-packed ("icy") snow, IMveryHO, due to the tires' extreme pressure/traction sensitivity.

I honestly don't know why CR rated the 512s so highly in terms of "ice-stop" situations....

Yeah, I've only had my 512's on the slippery stuff once (I run studded WinterForce M+S on dedicated steelies in the winter, but got caught in the Poconos during the 1st storm this year with my 512's still on) and they were about as awful as I'd expect ANY decent performance tire to be: not good.

Knowing a little something about "what makes a good snow tire", by just looking at them, I'd never expect them to be even decent in the snow. There's very little siping (mine had none left since wearing the outside shoulders) and the tread blocks are fairly meaty. Those 2 traits alone are enough to make the 512 do poorly in the snow even without getting to some of the other factors, like rubber compound, sidewall and tread casing stiffness, contact patch surface area, etc.

Tim

^ Exactly.

That's actually what surprised me about how relatively well the 512s did here in NE-Ohio - and particularly when I ran it on my wife's WRX.

Just looking at the tire, one would think that the slippery stuff would make it absolutely useless.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Yeah, I've only had my 512's on the slippery stuff once (I run studded WinterForce M+S on dedicated steelies in the winter, but got caught in the Poconos during the 1st storm this year with my 512's still on) and they were about as awful as I'd expect ANY decent performance tire to be: not good.

Knowing a little something about "what makes a good snow tire", by just looking at them, I'd never expect them to be even decent in the snow. There's very little siping (mine had none left since wearing the outside shoulders) and the tread blocks are fairly meaty. Those 2 traits alone are enough to make the 512 do poorly in the snow even without getting to some of the other factors, like rubber compound, sidewall and tread casing stiffness, contact patch surface area, etc.

Tim

I think the rubber compound is about the only thing that makes the 512 a M+S tire.

Archived