LegacyGT.com

Spt Intake

jamato998

Jamato -- You're going to get flamed for purchasing and installing the SPT intake (see previous post), as it seems to be universally reviled here at LGT.com. I'm not completely sure why this is.

I've seen references to two serious discussions of the intake's failings, one that apparently used to be posted on the CobbTuning.com web site, and one on a blog. Both are nearly two years old, so perhaps new versions of the intake have corrected some of the original deficiencies. And the two contradict each other: Cobb (and many people here) seems to think that the intake makes the engine run lean; the review on the blog suggests that it makes the engine run rich. Go figure.

Cobb, of course, sells their own intake, so they have a conflict of interest when it comes to criticizing the SPT one -- perhaps this is why they took their technical article on it down. I'm quite disappointed that they don't sell an SPT-intake specific map for their AccessPort ECU flasher -- that seems to be a dumb business decision, because people who shell out the bucks for a replacement intake are likely to be interested in their AccessPort as well. I know I'd buy one if they had appropriate maps.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in the way of a "throaty" response from the intake. Mine makes whooshing (I'm not sure I'd use the word "whistle," though) noises on normal driving. If I put my foot into it, however, the sound changes markedly to something that might be described as "throaty." Whatever word you use, though, it's noisier than the stock air-box intake. HPH

hey i just got an spt intake and is rich and sounds good an d the car is runing super awsome i have a ecutek and i reflash the car after the mod i also have a turboback and i tunned the car am runing 20 psi @ 45 rpms i work at irvine subaru and if ther is any questions let me know thanks

Make sure if you are running a reflash that the tune is specific for an intake. Intakes will make the car run lean. Combine that with a tune that leans things out from stock, and you could be in trouble.

I hadn't heard that the SPT intake has been updated. Last I saw one (installed on a spec B at the dealership yesterday) it still has a bend around the MAF and is a thick metal. I beleive both are the problems with this intake. The sharp bends create turbulence, giving erratic MAF readings. And the thick metal piping will heat up the incoming air.

^^ I don't know that it's been redesigned, either; that's merely speculation. And you hit the high (or low) points that were made in the original sources, as far as I can tell. There was also a suggestion that the SPT intake has a smaller diameter (which could accelerate the airflow, leading to additional MAF errors -- this was what motivated the suggestion on the blog that it makes the car run rich).

I'm not trying to argue or dispute the published findings; rather, I'm puzzled that both references are nearly two years old and that one of them has disappeared. Everyone seems to be repeating the same information over and over -- usually in cases such as this there's new verification available.

I have to say that the heat-bog issue does seem like a potential factor, at least for launches. My installation, though, has the SPT heat shield fencing the intake off from the rest of the engine compartment and everything under the erstwhile air-box removed, so that you can see all the way to the bottom of the fender well. At speed, the airflow up through there will provide plenty of ambient, unheated air for the thing.

In any case, it would be nice if Cobb would put out a map for it -- I'd get an AP in a flash (so to speak). (And, for me, that ECUTek solution is more than I need.) HPH

Make sure if you are running a reflash that the tune is specific for an intake. Intakes will make the car run lean. Combine that with a tune that leans things out from stock, and you could be in trouble.

I hadn't heard that the SPT intake has been updated. Last I saw one (installed on a spec B at the dealership yesterday) it still has a bend around the MAF and is a thick metal. I beleive both are the problems with this intake. The sharp bends create turbulence, giving erratic MAF readings. And the thick metal piping will heat up the incoming air.

yea i have a tech at my dealership who can do this for me

That would require some serious modification :lol:

The intake on a 2.5i connects to the back of the engine, near the firewall, and the intake would look something like this (this is for a Impreza RS):

http://www.aempower.com/images/products/21-472P_web.jpg

Turbo engines intake connects near the front of the engine, on the passenger side, and is... uh... a "bit" shorter:

spt-subaru-intake-wrx-sti.jpg

Archived