LegacyGT.com

General Spec B questions

acqui

Hi All,

I've been doing some research as I'll be moving from a coupe ('04 M3) to a 4 door in the next few weeks and have a few more general questions about the ,07 Spec B, which is one of the cars at the top of my list.

1. How is the sound level of this car at highway speeds? The reason I ask is because of the frameless windows.

2. Does it come with any anti slip regulation or stability control?

3. For those that drove an E46 M3, STI, or Evo, how does this car compare in handling? Granted, the wheels, tires might have to be changed.

4. What sort of acceleration numbers 0-60 and 1/4 miles do you guys get on average with stock setup and with a stage 1 and 2 for comparison?

I think subconsciously I want a car that handles and accelerates like the M3 because I enjoy driving it so much. The other cars under consideration is a Lexus IS350 and Infiniti G35x, with a VW GTI as an outside chance. I am 6'4 so the '08 STI is out. I test drove one and loved it but I would have to remove the seat frame in order for me to fit properly.

Yours thoughts and or suggestions would be most appreciated.

1) Handling

Honestly, our cars can't really beat M3's RWD style handling. I have KW Coilover + Rear Sway Bars + 18" Falken RT615. Compared to my buddy's 3 series, still way off.

2) Power

With Stage 2, you probably looking for the same power as the stock STi. The STi is very good in terms of the pull.

3) Quiet / Comfort

IS350 & G35x are more quiet and comfort but handling wise our Legacy is better (I am talking about Auto-x). Highway is still pretty quiet if you are going for stock legacy. But if you plan to go for stage 2 & lower ur car. Let's forget about quiet and comfort.

4) AWD (Snow & Rain)

Legacy is good in all those condition especially if you have a set of snow tires, you can out run many FWD/RWD car. It does come with VDC for Spec B. But again if you have a nice set of snow/winter tires, you should be well covered.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

For Handling/Fun to drive - Get BMW RWD

For Safety/Multipurpose - Subaru Legacy !!!

For Power - STi / Evo

For Luxury - IS350 / G35x

Legacy is the cheapest within the all. May be if compare apples with apples would be a bit easier for you? If I have the money, I would go for new M3. Because Legacy is the cheapest, I end up buying one =)

Hope it helps. Cheers!

1. How is the sound level of this car at highway speeds? The reason I ask is because of the frameless windows.

Stock LGT is a very quiet car at highway speeds.

2. Does it come with any anti slip regulation or stability control?

'07 Spec B comes with VDC, regular LGT do not have any stability control.

3. For those that drove an E46 M3, STI, or Evo, how does this car compare in handling? Granted, the wheels, tires might have to be changed.

Spec B handles better than stock LGT but it's not in the same class as the STI or Evo. It's not mean to be. If you want handling close to STI or Evo you will have to swap in coilovers and sway bars at the minimum.

4. What sort of acceleration numbers 0-60 and 1/4 miles do you guys get on average with stock setup and with a stage 1 and 2 for comparison?

Stock LGT is faster than WRX, stage 2 is about on par with stock STI and stage 1 is somewhere in between.

If you are planning on modding the regular LGT is a better choice then Spec B. Unless you really want the Nav, 6MT or VDC.

I would say if you are used to bmw style handling, I would get a 4 door 335i or the new 4 door m3. I think with swaybars and coilovers, the legacy will get pretty close to the m3s handling. I work at a bmw dealership, so I've driven both back to back. My stock spec b suspension is a far cry from the m3's suspension, but with modifications, I think they will be pretty similar.

I really don't like the styling (interior or exterior) of the current generation 3 series. My favourite has always been the E46 series. One other option I am looking at is an '05 BMW 330i with the ZHP performance package. I am also looking at a Lexus IS 350, which I test drove last week. It's quite a nice car with very good acceleration, though not on par in terms of handling with the BMW. Honestly, I want a good weekend driver that I will enjoy so the extreme handling isn't a necessity for me as I've got an older E36 M3 that I race on weekends. I really want a very good all around car that will accelerate on part with the likes of a Lexus IS350, Infiniti G35 etc ( low 5s to 60 and mid to low 13 second quarter mile time). I also test drove a VW GTI with the DSG trans and a Stage 2 APR chip and I have to say, it's a very impressive car for 25k and being FWD. But I keep going back to the LGT because it's such a well balanced car and I've seen several LGTs (manual) in the tri state area with less than 10k for the low 20k price range.

'07+ spec. B has a rear HLSD and the 6MT is a stronger(Actually, the entire drivetrain) and better shifting transmission IMO. Plus, you get aluminum suspension pieces on all spec. Bs.

I like the LGT and its AWD for street driving. In the real world, it gives you a bit of advantage over a RWD car. However, you just have to be a bit more aggressive on entry to turns to get the most performance out. Which means sometimes don't get the same sense of satisfaction as you would with a RWD in taking or finding the perfect line.

With a maxed out stage 2 setup(TMIC, TBE) and a protune, you should be able to pip the E46 M3 up to the the 1/4 mile. However, it will be dependent on your launch. I'm not to sure about past a 100 mph but I'll say they would be either even or slight edge to the M3.

It won't be hard to make the LGT have more conering grip then a stock E46 M3. The performance balanced NVH of BMW/RWD "feel" is a different story(subjective and personal thing) but sometimes different is good;)

Archived