LegacyGT.com

Another lame AP Stage one review

vader1

To the OP: your mileage dropped because of the fun factor, not because of some calibration issues. Having the same driving style as before = more fuel burnt because of whatever calibrations went on - boost comes in earlier, is higher, stays longer, throttle mapping changed slightly etc.

)

Actually I should be more specific. My driving style is fairly laid back. I baby it most of the time, put the hammer down to get around someone who is annoying me, but other wise get up to 65 on the highway and right lane it with the cruise on. I drive about 80% freeway cruise at 65 mph. My low milage was caused by the new map SOA made to fix the stutter. There was no fun involved. It generally ran pig rich and blew soot out the back but SOA said "Normal" to my complaints.

IMHO no excuse for a 3500 pound car to cruise at 65 and get 21 mpg. The map they flashed is AWFUL. It just did not work right. The techs said everything checked out right, and all they could do was put on new maps offered by SOA. The new map made my stutter somewhat better, but sucked fuel like Suburban.

Now I have a little more power and the "current" mpg reading is up in all conditions. Significantly.

I'd still like to go stage 2 but only if I can get a high flow cat.

This is not my primary car though and mostly does winter duty so I don't want anything too drastic for a car I put 5000 miles a year on. I am saving to modify the S2000 first, but if a part will up the power and be $600 or less, fantastic. I'll buy it. Cars that come with a stock turbo are so much easier to get something out of than the darn Honda.

I baby it most of the time, put the hammer down to get around someone who is annoying me,

IMHO no excuse for a 3500 pound car to cruise at 65 and get 21 mpg.

Now I have a little more power and the "current" mpg reading is up in all conditions. Significantly.

I'd still like to go stage 2 but only if I can get a high flow cat.

I can get up to 30 REAL mpg (not on display, that would be like 32) at 65 on cruise control. I baby it ALL the time. That might annoy a few folks but whatever...

Again, Cobb makes an high flow catted down pipe. I would check the market place for a used one. Alternatively, you can also just get the shorty and leave the 3rd cat in place.

I can get up to 30 REAL mpg (not on display, that would be like 32) at 65 on cruise control. I baby it ALL the time. That might annoy a few folks but whatever...

Does not annoy me. I like to have the power to run away from some DB that annoys the crap out of me with annoying cell phone behavior or something, but that happens about 4 times per TANK, not per day. But its nice to have the go when you want it. For the rest of the time I am happy with high milage over racing someone. Its a freaking wagon, driving it like a maniac impresses no one.

But if it gets high MPG if you baby it but can also go when you need it to, its the perfect vehicle for me. I wanted a Civic for my DD, but I was given an old little ski boat and had to have something to pull it with. If I got rid of the boat, I'd even thing about a Prius cause I am getting old. But its just too ugly.

Seriously, at Stage 2, if you baby it, you should have the best gas mileage "evuh" and more go than 97% of what is on the road today. Let me define "baby it" - staying out of boost when you shift up - I usually do it at 2000 rpm - and not going faster than 70 (i go 60 actually espec on urban sector of the interstate). Also slower acceleration.

Try that fuel economy mode see if it helps but for me it didn't and plus I would rather know the car can respond - brakes and full attention span to the road aren't the only accident avoidance features/measures.

Seriously, at Stage 2, if you baby it, you should have the best gas mileage "evuh" and more go than 97% of what is on the road today. .

Yeah, thats what I understand and want, but just want to mitigate the stuff coming out the back. I was sold a metalic substrate high flow cat for my S2000 that seems to have boosted the power a little but it smells really rich, pretty close to a test pipe. We have no emmissions testing here, but I still am against high emmisions if I can avoid it.

Can anyone comment about the effectiveness of the Cobb DP as far as emmissions goes? I presume it wont pass Cali smog, but does it stink like a test pipe?

These metallic cats all seem to have this really short section of substrate. I wish it were about double the length for the substate so as to still be high flow but do more to burn off the fuel. Instead they all seem to have just the little bulb of a cat. I am also guessing that the substrate is some precious metal that increasing the length would double the cost.

Yeah, thats what I understand and want, but just want to mitigate the stuff coming out the back. I was sold a metalic substrate high flow cat for my S2000 that seems to have boosted the power a little but it smells really rich, pretty close to a test pipe. We have no emmissions testing here, but I still am against high emmisions if I can avoid it.

Can anyone comment about the effectiveness of the Cobb DP as far as emmissions goes? I presume it wont pass Cali smog, but does it stink like a test pipe?

These metallic cats all seem to have this really short section of substrate. I wish it were about double the length for the substate so as to still be high flow but do more to burn off the fuel. Instead they all seem to have just the little bulb of a cat. I am also guessing that the substrate is some precious metal that increasing the length would double the cost.

Actually, at stage 2 with a good tune, your emissions are very low. The stock tune is conservative (rich) and designed to be safe over a wide range of engine system variables. With a good tune, your car will run leaner while staying safe. Most of the good catted dps available actually improve emissions relative to the inexpensive factory cats.

If you really want to bring those emissions down, get a protune. Seriously. Stoichiometric burn means CxHy + O2 = H2O + CO2. My buddy has a tuned 04 Cobra, and when he gets on the throttle, instead of a cloud of black smoke, his tailpipes look like someone hooked each one up to a garden hose.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived