LegacyGT.com

Smell of burning after change to synthetic oil?

Hi all,

My legacy just passed 1000 miles and I decided to change to synthetic oil. I used Motul 5W40. But now I can smell something's burning through the A/C vents.

Is this normal? Or I need to take care of it ASAP.

Thanks alot.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

early for synthetic...ive been told you should atleast break in with regular oil to set the seals then go synth...

i get this smell if the guy at the dealership is lazy and doesnt pay attention or wipe up after himself. oil splatter. look underneath it for a puddle, if no puddle the tech just didnt clean up well and it will burn off. lasts about a week or two depending on how much i drive then the smell is gone.

i thought though you wasnt suppose to run syntec until after the car was past 10k?

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I went into my Subie dealersip because my 2.5 NA with 3,500kilometers oil was very dirty. He told me even though it was dirty Subaru says go 6,000kmeters. I reminded him of an old wise tale...oil is cheap in comparsion to the havick dirt oil produces on an engine....I got a free oil change...and told me I could switch to synethic now and it was fine...I desided to what under the frist service at 6,000Kilometers.

While Subaru of Canada is promoting Mobil 1 the dealership is using a brand I think I heard him says was MOTROP...but now reading this read perhaps I missunderstood...and was Motul. Anyways he said that this oil was the oil they are using in the Quebec rallye cars and he uses it in his two Subies.

so what is break in for legacy? i was told to wait until atleast after 3K. when i picked up mine...

Break in is 1,000 miles, but you do not have to change the oil at 1,000 miles. 3750/7500 depending on what schedule you are on.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 3 months later...

So now, the smell had gone.

I have another question about oil change.

Since I am using synthetic oil since 1000 miles, I just want to ask when I should change the oil again or I should just stick to the maintainence schedule in the manual?

Thanks a lot

Archived