LegacyGT.com

Long Trip - Heavy Load

Alright, so I'm heading home from college for the summer, and managed to fit everything (fridge, shelves, books, microwave, etc...) in the back of the car. Needless to say, that's a lot of weight, and it's definitely down a few inches in the rear and up a bit in the front. It's probably going to be a good 9-hour drive. The car has 209,000 miles (1998 Legacy Outback) and the engine had the head gaskets done 30,000 miles ago, so I'm going to be taking it easy on the hills. My question is, are there any suggestions you guys have for a long trip like this on the highway regarding tire pressure in the rear? It's quite a bit of weight in the back and I don't want to wear the tires too much, but I don't know whether or not I should fill them up a few extra pounds. Is there anything special I should to with the tire pressure in this kind of situation? Thanks!

Max the rear tires - 10%. Not the car stated psi but the tire rated max psi. Also, maybe put some coil spacers in there to keep from bottoming out and also prevent permanantly damaging the rear setup.

Archived