LegacyGT.com

Bad News For Flat Black Interior Color Owners

Scooby2.5

If you have a 2005 or possibly a 2006 Legacy Outback, XT, GT, or Spec B and your interior is FLAT black in color on the dash and door panels you better hope you dont need any replacement parts like me. THEY CHANGED THE COLOR. :mad:

I needed to replace an interior piece that I broke the clip holders on while I was running some wiring. The piece on the drivers side above your knees and just below the steering column. I ordered it twice and it was the wrong color.

I then called SOA and the dealer had the district parts guy pick up my old one. They called today and said that, every one of the pieces left in the US were the more glossy black and the flat black is no more. They changed it during a production run and now you cant get it.

So if you have the flat black color, you cannot get parts for it anymore. If you have ever seen the difference some have flat black interior and some have a more shiney black interior.

WAY TO GO SUBARU :mad: I loved the flat black and now its gone.

I wonder how much cost savings they realize from moves like this? I recently got the guaranteed trade-in letter, and I would like the seat memory, telescoping steering wheel and other updates they've made. BUT, if I can't get a blue exterior with a black interior (I too love my flat black '05) I ain't going there. Do they save enough money to lose a sale?
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

I wonder how much cost savings they realize from moves like this? Do they save enough money to lose a sale?

I would bet the savings $'s are well worth the lost profit from 2-3 sales. They probably spend $MM's in plastic parts per year, and even a cost reduction of 5%would yield pretty big savings.

Here is a pic I took so you can see the difference. Note that I changed the end of the dash piece as well as the panel under the steering wheel.

The flash made it have a slight brownish redish tint but just look in the areas that look more black and you can see that it is more glossy instead of a flat black.

Especially see the difference where the console and this piece are next to each other as well as the difference when looking at the fuse door.

I have verified with another 2005 subaru owner (quiksilvr) and this newer color matches his interior. But obviously not mine.

I have also verified that many other 2005's had my flat black color shown by the dash as well as the console.

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/12802/2296059240074087040S600x600Q85.jpg

To see the pic full size go to www.webshots.com/user/gregnauman and look in the interior folder.

Mine is an 05 LGT 5MT NON-LTD with build date of 12/04.

My entire interior is the same as the glossy black lower part of the dash in the picture. All of my plastic matches the steering coulumn surround and/or the door sill trim color and sheen. I attached a pic. It's blurry, but you can see the panels.

pedals1.jpg.e37e2e3818d141bf63438d50c08db2b6.jpg

Let's kick this pig!

I hear you there about the pictures. My interior matches perectly to the naked eye, but appears to be slightly off from the vents and switch plates in the pictures too. Greg was over one aftrernoon and we compared the dashes side-by-side and his was definately a different shade/texture/sheen than mine. The black replacement panel looked pure black and everything else looked dark grey.

My dash is the same color from the windshiled to the foot wells and the end caps. The door panels, trim and center console match my entire dash exactly. My A,B and C Pillars are the cream/tan/grey color. It's just odd that they can't match the color to the model/year.

Let's kick this pig!

So if I ever have to have the dealer disassemble my dash can I ask them to sign an agreement that my dash panels must match after they are done with the job, in case they break one? This really sux. No doubt '05s will have an issue getting seat fabric in the future too as that is the only model year with cloth.
It is still ugly.

So if I ever have to have the dealer disassemble my dash can I ask them to sign an agreement that my dash panels must match after they are done with the job, in case they break one? This really sux. No doubt '05s will have an issue getting seat fabric in the future too as that is the only model year with cloth.

So if the stealership rips your cloth they will have to give u leather, not a bad deal. not hating on cloth but i personally like leather better

Sounds like 12/04 was the month when they changed the plastic. We will have to geta list of VIN's so we can see where the cut off is.

With just plain Armor-All, my dash turns a super glossy pure black. With matte dressing it's still pretty glossy.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived