LegacyGT.com

Hesitation gone after Cobb stage-1

My buddies 07 LGT got the Cobb install. Very nice upgrade and worth the money. He doesn't have any hesitation anymore. The boost is creep'n to about 16psi, but that must be because he has an open air filter AND its really been cool here too. Anyway, to all the guys with the hesitation issues, its in the oem MAP. Period.

According to my buddy this Cobb unit can be taken out before service/warranty service is done and they'll never now.... Is this true? I'm sceptical on that claim.

Getting back to the performance.... WOW!! It pulls close to the STi or atleast the 06-07 trunk models. Its certainly faster than my N/A 08 Limited....Haaahaaaa...Ya!

Yep! Brother did an AP on his '07 STi Limited. Totally got rid of his "Subaru stutter." I am looking to do the same pretty soon. I would recommend this to anyone.

And, I've got an '08 LGT and Subaru have not released for the stutter themselves (last check was 2 days ago at the dealership for new dino juice).

^ the stg I map is set to peak at ~15psi with +/- .7psi I believe.

I know the cobb test car for stg I was peaking at 14.5psi, I peak at 15.3 - if you are hitting 16psi with a stock set-up I would keep an eye on my boost. If you are running a short ram or CAI I would have the map tuned to match the increased air flow of the intake. Remember, the maps from cobb aren't programmed for your car specifically, there are variables on each car that will warrant different results.

You should notice that cobb specifies the set-up for your ride when running their maps. Stage 1 is a stock car, with a stock intake system - the map is not tuned for an intake - over time, the car may run lean. Hopefully the real time map will 'learn' itself to your car and adjust fuel timing - i'm not sure about this, which is why I sold my intake system and am content running a stock airbox with avo filter. In all honesty, you don't really need an intake till you are stage 2+

Welcome to the forums! :)

brian

^ the stg I map is set to peak at ~15psi with +/- .7psi I believe.

I know the cobb test car for stg I was peaking at 14.5psi, I peak at 15.3 - if you are hitting 16psi with a stock set-up I would keep an eye on my boost. An air filter won't increase boost levels, if you are running a short ram or CAI I would have the map tuned to match the increased air flow of the intake. Remember, the maps from cobb aren't programmed for your car specifically, there are variables on each car that will warrant different results.

You should notice that cobb specifies the set-up for your ride when running their maps. Stage 1 is a stock car, with a stock intake system - the map is not tuned for an intake - over time, the car may run lean. Hopefully the real time map will 'learn' itself to your car and adjust fuel timing - i'm not sure about this, which is why I sold my intake system and am content running a stock airbox with avo filter. In all honesty, you don't really need an intake till you are stage 2+

Welcome to the forums! :)

A ram air filter will too certainly cause you to boost more, not much, but it will. The car is getting closer to ambient temps. I told him to ditch that silly thing and put the box back on. I don't like open filters all that much anyway. Air filters in the engine compartment are garbage (IMO) and on hot days you'll loose power if anything. I understand its a "base only map", but on his car with stock exhaust and filter it works good. Once it warms up outside (god willing), that 16psi will drop 1-2psi, or should anyway.

I thought that a filter would hold boost better, not increase your boost a full psi or really to any effect that you can 'feel' the difference unless your 'butt dyno' is really sensitive ;) but thanks for the correction! I know with the OEM filter I was peaking at 15.1, with the avo I hit 15.3 once... .2 psi isn't really noticeable IMO.

My major concern with an intake would be running lean - our stock intake box works fine for a stg I. You just don't get that "whooooosh" sound :) If an intake is paired with the appropriate 'breathing' mods and tuned for it, I'm sure there can be dramatic gains in boost... but without a tune, I can't imagine boost levels being that different, maybe MPG will be a 'lil better, but once the engine bay gets warm idk if the intake will help anything... Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

anyways, the stutter is gone and that's why we all love our AP's :) I'm quite happy with the base cobb stg I map on my car, no problems as of yet! tell your friend to sell the intake if he isn't gonna get it tuned and use the cash to save up for new tires or something ;)

brian

The open "ram filter" sucks in cooler air which results to colder intake temps, which in theory makes more HP/boost, buts its minimal. 1-2psi at the very most. Usually its under 1psi in my experience (rotary/MR2's) and that's two separate cars BTW. LOL!.

The thing thats keeping the cork plugged is the exhaust on his LGT. I think I saw 16psi flat once or twice. Usually it was 15.6-9ish. Like I said its 30deg here today (ya, WTF?), so that's also playing a HUGE roll in the intake temps... Like you say, the end result, it took Cobb's plug'n'play to intercept the hesitation issue.

I don't wanna sound like a know it all either, but I had a 9 second Rotary car w/ MoTec so I know a bit about how most of this works.. Its all good.

I don't wanna sound like a know it all either, but I had a 9 second Rotary car w/ MoTec so I know a bit about how most of this works.. Its all good.

it's all good, i openly admit I don't know jack $hit about our rides - which is why i'm here on the forum! :) I just thought without a tune for the intake, you're not getting much out of it - especially if it's the only mod on a car. but that is for a different topic that has been beaten to death on the forum! no stutter ftw! ;)

brian

Archived