LegacyGT.com

First time detail of my new car- how do i do it?

So iv never owed a nice enough car to where to I need to wax it and make it look nice, just automatic car washes. I recently just got the satin white pearl 05 legacy. The paint on it still looks amazing, but Im sure with the proper treatment I can make it look twice as good. Ive been reading on here about different types of washes, wax, polisher, sealer, and clay bars. which has all got me confused.

What would you all recomend that I do to get the best finish possible? Maybe a list of products you use, in what order, and so on. Thanks -Derek

I do:

Wash (with microfiber towels) and Simple Green Auto Soap

Dry (synthetic chamois)

Polish with Turtle Wax 2001.

Buff with microfiber.

Eagle One foaming wheel cleaner but I will switch to my Simple Green Soap and my gasoline rag since not even Eagle One got the grained in tar off.

Armor All Tire Shine Gel. I just switched to this from the spray and it is annoying to apply since you use a foam sponge but it lasts much longer.

I also applied the gel to my much faded ground effects. I will get around to repainting them eventually and probably with truck bedliner spray. One of my buddies did it to the bumpers of his beater 1994 GTI and it looked pretty good.

I also use Rain-X cleaner/repellent to clean my windows, but it does not work all that well. I think I will switch to Stoner Invisible Glass and regular Rain-X.

I have not clay-barred yet...But it is on the agenda...

I do:

Wash (with microfiber towels) and Simple Green Auto Soap

Dry (synthetic chamois)

Polish with Turtle Wax 2001.

Buff with microfiber.

Eagle One foaming wheel cleaner but I will switch to my Simple Green Soap and my gasoline rag since not even Eagle One got the grained in tar off.

Armor All Tire Shine Gel. I just switched to this from the spray and it is annoying to apply since you use a foam sponge but it lasts much longer.

I also applied the gel to my much faded ground effects. I will get around to repainting them eventually and probably with truck bedliner spray. One of my buddies did it to the bumpers of his beater 1994 GTI and it looked pretty good.

I also use Rain-X cleaner/repellent to clean my windows, but it does not work all that well. I think I will switch to Stoner Invisible Glass and regular Rain-X.

I have not clay-barred yet...But it is on the agenda...

Here is a little tip. Do the wheels first so you are not spraying any wheel cleaner, dirt or brake dust on your freshly washed exterior. ;)

Personally I'd polish before any paint cleanser and if you where polishing you probably wouldn't need or want to go to a paint cleaner.

I use the Meguiars DeepCrystal System and Step 1 is paint cleaner and Step 2 is polish. I usually do skip the paint cleaner because of too much buffing.

What products from your line up would you recommend as replacements? I own a BSM Legacy.

Here is a little tip. Do the wheels first so you are not spraying any wheel cleaner, dirt or brake dust on your freshly washed exterior. ;)

Maybe I have just been lucky, but with the Eagle foaming wheel cleaner at least I have never gotten any dust or anything on my bodywork. Before that I'd use primarily paper towels and some Simple Green and I am not too sure if I did them before or after.

I'll do them before next time to avoid disrupting that ultra high quality 11 year old SOA paint :p

Here's my order for every car I do.

1. Wash wheels & scrub wheel wells (I use NXT wash)

2. Wash car (Nxt wash again)

3. Clay before drying

4. Wash again to remove clay residue

5. Polish with XMT #1

6. Klasse Sealant Glaze

7. NXT Paste sealant

8. Rub down with NXT quick detailer

thats if I want to spend the day on the car.

normal setup is just:

1. Wash rims

2. Wash car

3. Dry car with california blade and "The Absorber"

4. microfibre cloth to wipe down all door jams

Archived