LegacyGT.com

Someone answer me this.......

bigb3630123

Just put a new set of front rotors on my parents taurus for them and while compressing the drivers side caliper piston it leaked a little brake fluid out. And after putting it all back together the tire was only turning 50% freely. Did the other side and it went perfect. After a test drive it sounded perfect however the one block we traveled there was a TON of smoke pouring out of the wheel well. took the tire off and pumped the brakes for a couple minutes but didn't get any leaking of any kind. I'm stumped. Did I ruin something when I got that brake fluid leak?

can you visably see where the brake fluid is coming from?

EDIT: It is possible that the piston seal is gone. and that is where the brake fluid is coming from. Either rebuild the caliper/piston or purchase a new caliper.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

let me re think this before i start mouthing off.

you say it smoked for one block? is there still resistance on that wheel now? does it still smoke?

OTM.

this is just my guess, but if you had brake fluid coming out of the piston, then your seals are gone. you can either rebuild them or go buy a new caliper. If you keep going you will scorch your new rotor, and scorch your brake pads.

OTM.

yep we are gonna take it to the shop. We took it apart again and compressed the piston again... no fluid this time. This time the tire spun freely when we put it back together BUT as soon as we hit the brake the caliper wont release and the tire takes a lot of strength to turn. Any estimate as to how much it costs to rebuild??

there's too much brake fluid in the reservoir. you probably added fluid because it was low. as the pads wore down the calipers were pushed out. more fluid was in the lines and caliper. now with new pads the caliper is pushed out and there is too much fluid. oil change places top off the fluids.

get a rag and soak up some of the fluid. down to the line where it's supposed to be. had this happen to me.

I told you what i thought it was. Mine just did the same thing and i am awaiting my new caliper that i ordered up wednesday. it shoudl be here monday. But it was just enough to catch ( sticking ) and was causing the same things you was describing.

A: ) rebuild the caliper

B: ) Purchase a new caliper.

OTM.

brake caliper sized, no need to take it to a shop

go to advance/discount auto parts and get 2, not just 1, (always replace calipers in pairs) calipers, and get new fluid to flush the brake system with.

advance discount has lifetime warrenty calipers

Archived