LegacyGT.com

brake planet cross drilled/slotted anyone?

garvin

Generally Cross drilled rotors are a no no for track use. There are very few exceptions to this.

Cross drilling was developed in the 1960's when pad materials were not advanced to the point they are now. In the 60's pads were organic and would outgas causing a boundry layer between the pad and the rotor. A solution to this was to cross drill the rotor to vent the boundary gas layer.

With new ceramic and ferro-metallic compounds used in modern brake pads out gassing is a thing of the past. Cross drilling now is done mainly for styling and has no impact on brake performance.

Slotting is a more practical solution for todays performance brake systems as they remove glaze and wipe the pad clean of debris and water but they can induce more agressive brake wear. Every time the slot passes the pad it shaves a little bit off.

Generally Cross drilled rotors are a no no for track use. There are very few exceptions to this.

Cross drilling was developed in the 1960's when pad materials were not advanced to the point they are now. In the 60's pads were organic and would outgas causing a boundry layer between the pad and the rotor. A solution to this was to cross drill the rotor to vent the boundary gas layer.

With new ceramic and ferro-metallic compounds used in modern brake pads out gassing is a thing of the past. Cross drilling now is done mainly for styling and has no impact on brake performance.

Slotting is a more practical solution for todays performance brake systems as they remove glaze and wipe the pad clean of debris and water but they can induce more agressive brake wear. Every time the slot passes the pad it shaves a little bit off.

Very true, though with proper pads you shouldnt be glazing either :)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Exerpt from there site,

"Unlike most companies that offer 14-30 day warranties, BrakePlanet offers LIFETIME WARRANTIES on all BrakePlanet branded products! All BrakePlanet branded parts are warranted to be free of defect. For brake rotors, the warranty extends to warping and cracking. For brake pads, the warranty extends to pad fading."

I guess I will find out

Exerpt from there site,

"Unlike most companies that offer 14-30 day warranties, BrakePlanet offers LIFETIME WARRANTIES on all BrakePlanet branded products! All BrakePlanet branded parts are warranted to be free of defect. For brake rotors, the warranty extends to warping and cracking. For brake pads, the warranty extends to pad fading."

I guess I will find out

Im curious too. Do they just take your word for it? Or will you have to ship rotors back to them? If it is the latter, it hardly seems worth it. We thought about doing the same, but decided to just charge less for the rotor, instead of more and providing lifetime warranty :)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

I am heading to Road America on Wednesday and It should not take long to find out whether they hold up or not. Last fall my stock rotors with endless ssm's warped so bad I was nervous driving the car home. You got me thinkn!!! Was looking at the DBA's but its a $170 price difference and the warranty that made all warm and fuzzies.

I might have hit a skunk and it got stuck between the pad and the rotor too! LOL

dba 4000 shipped overnight to 54935 I think I got my lines from you a while ago.

I think I just gagged a little :eek: NASTY!

Unfortunately DBA4000s are B/O right now :( Overnight woulda been nuts though!

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Well the Brake Planet Rotors passed the test. I ran 4 sessions. Three 20 minutes and 1 30 minutes. I chose the HP + pads and Brake Planet slotted and cross drilled rotors ss lines and super blue for my set up. Car: TDC Stage 2, IPD sway bars, Kumho Ecsta MX tires. Overall impression of the brake set up was good. The rotors held up perfect. The pads I was happy but will purchase actual track pads for my next event. Road America is a four mile road course and 120 mph twice per lap. Brakes are beat hard. While the pads never gave up by the end of the 30 minute session they were getting a little soft. The car actually started giving up at the end of the 30 minute session. The rev limiter actually started shutting the motor down at 108 mph at the end. WTF? The little engine that could!! It is a lot of fun being out with 2008 Mustang shelby's and beating them around the track. What a day!:lol: A note on the Kuhmo tires could not have been happier. Found the pressure needed to be 39 rear and 41 front cold for max grip on the track. I ran the pirelli P-zero nero M+S last and the difference with the Kuhmo's is unbelieveable. Much better grip!!

Archived