LegacyGT.com

Guaranteed Trade-In Program - worth it?

PaulNEPats

I currently own a 2005 Legacy GT Limited with 40k miles on it. I paid $19,750 for it 2 years ago, and I received a letter in the mail from Subaru today about the Guaranteed Trade-In program. According to the letter, I'd receive a minimum of 15,200 if I were to trade it in. I owe 10k on the car, which has 3 years of financing left. I don't really put a lot of mileage on the car I have now (less than 10k a year), so I'm debating whether to take advantage of the offer. What do you guys think? Is it worth stepping up to a 2008 Legacy GT?

I use that when I got my '05 LGT I traded in my '04 WRX. I feel it was a good deal for me because I owed less then what they offered my and I got a much better car. You have to ask yourself does the '08 have features taht you want but, can't have and is it worth starting your payments all over again.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I got that letter too but there are some fine prints you should read carefully. I have a feeling the dealership will try to do everything in the book to give you less than the $15200 that they promise you. IMO, it's just a ploy to get you into the dealership and thinking about a new car.

Here is another thread discussing it.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86870

In Mass. you would get the advantage of saving on the sales tax of the new vehicle too, so that $15,200 is really $15,960.

Could you sell your LGT in a private sale for $15,960 today? I doubt it. Sounds like a pretty fair offer from Subaru.

I currently own a 2005 Legacy GT Limited with 40k miles on it. I paid $19,750 for it 2 years ago, and I received a letter in the mail from Subaru today about the Guaranteed Trade-In program. According to the letter, I'd receive a minimum of 15,200 if I were to trade it in. I owe 10k on the car, which has 3 years of financing left. I don't really put a lot of mileage on the car I have now (less than 10k a year), so I'm debating whether to take advantage of the offer. What do you guys think? Is it worth stepping up to a 2008 Legacy GT?

So in the end your going to end up with $5k towards a new car and at minimum of $22k of debt for 40k miles less. IMHO hardly worth it unless you like payments :)

So in the end your going to end up with $5k towards a new car and at minimum of $22k of debt for 40k miles less. IMHO hardly worth it unless you like payments :)

I love payments!!!!!:lol::lol:

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The Garunteed Trade in Program is actually a pretty good deal. I work for a Subaru Dealer in Northern IL. The beauty of it is that if the dealer feels your car is worth say $14000 it dose not really matter because if your car falls with in the year/mileage requirements Subaru of America will actually purchase the car from said dealer for the amount they offered you, in this case $15,200. So it really is a no risk deal from the dealership standpoint and is meant to keep Subaru customers loyal to the brand and help boost new car sales.

The 15.2k means little until you are able to settle on the actual purchase price of the 08 in question.

$15.2k is a reasonable amount for you car, but if they screw you on the price of the new one it matters little.

use the VIP pricing program or the like... ;) then you get the best of all worlds. I have too many miles on my 05 for the trade in program or I'd have considered it.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Something doesn't seem right. My letter said $14,700 and I only have 22k miles on my 05 GT Limited 5spd.

I'm interested in an 08/09 sti, but I think I will try to sell privately since their offer is too low, plus its only valid if the car is stock (going back to stock means intake manifold/tgv delete/turbo/injector swap).

Something doesn't seem right. My letter said $14,700 and I only have 22k miles on my 05 GT Limited 5spd.

I'm interested in an 08/09 sti, but I think I will try to sell privately since their offer is too low, plus its only valid if the car is stock (going back to stock means intake manifold/tgv delete/turbo/injector swap).

welcome to my world. ;) one month later, car is still in parts waiting to be put back together. *sigh*

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Go talk to the dealer. Up here' date=' all it means is that they give you a set amount for the car but you have to pay MSRP for the new one. No thanks.[/quote']

You don't have to pay MSRP. If the dealer told you that they are trying to get you good. Subaru will buy these cars back from the dealer so the subie dealer will always break even on the trade end of the deal unless they want to keep it and try and sell it. You would be able to get the same discount as you would with no trade.

I work @ a Subie dealer in Albany, NY.

Archived