LegacyGT.com

Test Drove an 05 Outback 3.0R Sedan

Had the oppurtunity today to go to Subaru of Dallas and test drive a 05 Outback 3.0R Sedan.Talked with Kevin Heist-Sales.I was impressed with the 3.0 H-6 engine very smooth and refined,obviously a much different engine than the 2.5 Turbo.When I test drove the 05 Legacy 2.5GT Limited about a month ago you defiantly notice the torque and the power across the entire rpm range.The 3.0R Sedan looks kinda funky but cool I did like the ride and the handling.Car had about a 1000 miles on it very tight,no rattles or creak's ,felt very solid and well put together. I dont know though I am still leaning toward the 05 Legacy GT Limited w/5eat but we will see I am getting close to making my decision on what car I will be purchasing very soon.I also want to thank Kevin for introducing me to one of the service guy's and we discussed maintenance cost's and other thing's.I really like this dealer and there attitude toward potential customer's and answering any question's they may have.Kevin has also been a big help in answering my question's and spending as much time as necessary to explain features of the car's and letting me test drive the vehicle for any length necessary to get a feel for the car.My next car just might be a Subaru.Sorry about the long post.

TurboMike04

Guest *Jedimaster*
I didn't get the chance to ride in Reb Beasts at the meet, but one other guy (Andy, Weasel555 from the WRX boards) did- he loved it and he has an STi! I think it'd be cool to have the OB 3.0R in a wagon version.

Well, last week before I bought my OB XT, I did drive the VDC wagon. It's a nice car, but nowhere near the fun-factor of the XT. If I had a boat or trailer to tow, I'd get the VDC. Otherwise, I'm happy with my choice. I'd say drive both a few times in different conditions before you make up your mind. Just my opinion...

TurboMike04, you have to buy that Outback Sedan, so that Red Beast won't be alone anymore on this forum! :D

I never had the chance to drive the 2.5 GT, but I have the 3.0R in Legacy Wagon form and I love it. It depends on what you really prefer. For me, I am happy that I have the 3.0R and not the Turbo, because I know how I drive if I have a Turbo (owned 3 different Legacy 2.0 Turbo with DOHC and 200 HP). When the boost kicks in, it is very hard not to push down the pedal more and more ... :)

Hey Mike. I bought an Outback XT on I-20 in Arlington last month. No Haggle at a couple of hundred over invoice, about 2000 off sticker. And thats on a car I ordered. Talk to James Johnson down there and tell him Gary R. sent you, if your deal on Lemmon falls through.

As for engines, I think if you are getting an automatic, you might be better off with the H-6 engine. I think the turbo works better with a stick shift, because it puts you more in control of when and how much boost kicks in. WIth the auto, the transmission is making some of those decisions. I spent some time in a auto turbo at the Texas Truck Rodeo and didn't like it much. But with the stick, its great.

I did buy the Outback XT at Evanston about 10 days ago. Got an automatic because, well, have you ever seen Lake Short Drive during rush hour? I'm happy with the decision. Yes, the car would have been more responsive with a manual tranny. But, since I unfortunately sit in heavy traffic often, and soon I'll be filling two baby seats, I figured the automatic would make my life easier. And this auto is far more responsive than the VDC auto would have been, in my opinion. If I were regularly towing cargo, like a boat - I would have gone with the VDC.

I've nicknamed my car "The Yeti" because it has THRIVED on the 16 inches of snow we got this weekend.

Thats funny, ChgoMike. I last bought an automatic when I lived on Addison street, a block from Wrigley, so I know where you're coming from. Even the back streets have a light or a stop sign every 2 blocks. Great city though.

Back then I traded a 5 spd volvo turbo for an automatic. Once we moved, my wife refused to drive it, and we've been stick shifting ever since.

Archived